Safe to open bank account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I defaulted on a bank account with a high street bank back in 2001. Subsequently the account was closed then passsed to DCA for which I cudnt afford to pay so ignored them - luckily for me they did (and the debt) went away.

There is no longer a record of this default on my credit file and my credit status is back to being very good, if I returned to the same bank to open an account again would it open a can of worms? I have learnt my lesson! but wil they remember me from when I opened the account back in 1998?

Probably

From what I have gathered here on the forum, the debt is probably statute barred at this point. If nothing has been done about it for 6 years, they can suddenly not try and reclaim it when you try and open a new account. I'll leave it to the experts to explain.

And as B_Nekket asks, why would you want to go back to the same bank?

Please note that I am not a solicitor or legally trained. The advice I give is from my own personal experience based on my own personal circumstance. If you choose to follow any advice I may give, please make sure you understand the implications of following that advice. :-)

Once a bank account has been closed for 6-7 years, the paperwork should be removed from their systems however, I wouldn't put it past them to resurrect an old account once they realise that you are back with them and try to offset the debt (however wrong that would be). Is it worth the risk or am I being cynical :rolleyes:

Edited by silverfox1961
typo

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE