M&S Chargecard/credit card PLEASE HELP *** SUCCESS ***

emmtay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Still going through all the docs....will post back as soon as I have something sensible to report

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you :-)

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so June 2006 was when they automatically changed this store card to a credit card.

Looks like the have used the right formula up to June 2006 and then applied the statutory interest from that date up to the date of settlement.

That would be right had the account been closed as it would conform to the FSA/fos rules.

However, the balance on the store card was transferred to a credit card and the balance included the PPI. From that point they were still charging contractual interest on the credit card so some of that interest was charged as a result of the included PPI balance.

So I would think it reasonable that you should get that back.

The overriding principle is that you should be put back in the position you would have been in had the PPI not been applied in the first place. The balance on the store card would have been lower at the point of transfer and subsequent interest would have been lower.

I can't see that they have made any provision for any interest refund after the account was made into a credit card and if it were me I'd question that with them.

ims

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Hi ims

Thanks for that, so, what should I tell them they should change? Or should I do a different spreadsheet and send that to them and explain what they're doing wrong? If so, please can you tell me which spreadsheet to do and what interest rate to use and for what period as I'm getting a bit confused now.

Thanks

emmtay

Hi ims

Thanks for that, so, what should I tell them they should change? Or should I do a different spreadsheet and send that to them and explain what they're doing wrong? If so, please can you tell me which spreadsheet to do and what interest rate to use and for what period as I'm getting a bit confused now.

Thanks

emmtay

If they were charging you contractual interest on the balance after 2006 then ask them why they have made no allowance for this in their calculations. Point out that the balance still included the PPI and therefore part of the contractual interest post 2006 was as a result of the balance being higher than it would have been had the PPI not been in there. See what they say.

Hi again

No it was June 2003 when they changed it to a c/c from a store card, so nearly 3 years as a c/c with a much higher balance!

cheers

So they have accounted for contractual interest from 2003 to 2006 and from then on see the point above.

another thought...surely the statutory interest should be from first premium until settlement?

No...see my previous posts on how the regulatory method calculates the statutory interest

ims

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

See what they say about the interest post 2006

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

Not a good result...here's their response-

Thank you for your email which I received this afternoon. I am sorry that you are still unhappy with our calculations and offer of redress.

Our Finance department has reviewed their calculations and firmly believe that the refund is correct.

They have confirmed that all contractual interest has been refunded.

The 8% statutory interest has been calculated on all the PPI premiums paid, which is the compensation to place you back in the position you would have been if the PPI hadn't been charged.

We believe the compensatory payment of £200 due to our initial error when calculating your refund is fair and reasonable.

As I previously informed you if you disagree with our calculations and redress then you must go back to the ombudsman and ask them to review our calculations.

Once again, I am sorry that you remain unhappy with our offer and compensation and I hope I've made M&S Money's position clear.

What answer did they give in respect of the query on the interest they charged post 2006?

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

Write back and say that they haven't answered your question and you want a written reply. Remind them that you have asked a specific question and you want a specific answer.

Forget court at the moment

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

Hi ims

As I thought, this was their answer....

Thank you for your email dated 03 June.

As I stated in my email to you on 01 June, our Finance department has

checked the refund of your Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) policy. The

calculation is correct and is in line with the Financial Services

Authority's (FSA) redress policy. In addition, the refund is in line with

the calculations that the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) use for the

redress of PPI.

With regards to the amount of compensation for our initial error in

calculating your PPI redress, M&S Money firmly believes this is fair and

reasonable.

In my last email, I did inform you to contact the FOS if you want to take

this further. By mentioning this again, I don’t wish to cause any more

upset. As I can’t help you any further you will need to ask the FOS to

review our calculation and compensatory payment

Once again, I'm sorry that you felt it necessary to contact me about this

matter and I trust I’ve been able to clarify our position again

I have sent a reply once again asking for an answer to the question, but i don't hold out much hope.

I really don't know what to do next...do I contact the FOS again, or what are my chances in court do you think? I don't have any experience in court, althoug i did claim my bank charges back through MCOL.

Any advice greatly welcomed :)

Emmtay

You need to press for an analysis of the calculations. If the lender will not provide them then fos can force them to give the breakdown.

If you look at the case studies and guidance on the fos website the lender is required to provide this information.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

If you can find a similar situation on the FOS site - then you could bring this to the attention of the person you have been in communication with. Or you could ask for your "complaint" to be shoved up the chain of command!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi, had a good search on FOS website and cannot find anything similar to mine :(

Not had a reply from M&S yet...normally they reply within 24 hours, so hopefully he is getting me the answer this time!

If you read the case studies they refer to requiring the lender to provide an analysis of how the figures are arrived at

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

Hi

Yet AGAIN, 3rd time now, I have received the same email just saying they believe the calculations are correct, blah, blah...to which I have now emailed the following.

Dear

I am not sure if I am not explaining myself clearly enough, but I STILL am not getting the answers to the questions I asked. Therefore, once again, I am asking for specific answers to a specific questions, and also require a FULL breakdown of how your figures have been calculated in each stage.

'The balance on the store card was transferred to a credit card and the balance included the PPI. From that point you were still charging contractual interest on the credit card so some of that interest was charged as a result of the included PPI balance, so I should get that back.

The overriding principle is that I should be put back in the position I would have been in had the PPI not been applied in the first place. I can't see that you have made any provision for any interest refund after the account was made into a credit card ?

If you were charging me contractual interest on the balance after 2006 then why have you made no allowance for this in your calculations. The balance still included the PPI and therefore part of the contractual interest post 2006 was as a result of the balance being higher than it would have been had the PPI not been in there?'

According to the rules, the lender is required to provide an analysis of how the figures are arrived at, and the complete workings. If the lender will not provide these then FOS can force them to give the breakdown.

PLEASE do not just send the same reply as you have done in your last 2 or 3 emails; IF your finance department are unable to answer these questions, then it is transparent that they do not know what they are doing.

I look forward to hearing your response urgently.

Yours sincerely

Emmtay

I dont think you could have made it any clearer.. lets hope they pass it on to someone who understands the question.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D