Howard Cohen, oh dear

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The explanation from Howard Cohen doesn't actually make sense, does it?

If they had received summary judgement in their favour, wouldn't it have been for the full amount which in turn would mean their letter would have been demanding payment in full?

The next problem is the amount they are saying that must be paid and the start date of the payments. Surely those are things that are unique to a case and would have been entered manually.

So their explanation that it was an automated letter sent out by mistake as the case was not flagged correctly cannot be correct - it was a personalised letter specific to the case.

I'd be raising this point with them, along with asking whether Howard Cohen have checked for any other letters were sent in error (and if they have taken corrective action) and finally how many other similar complaints have been filed and if they have been taken in to account.

Might be worth someone starting a thread for others to post if they've had the same thing happen to them, along with the dates involved. So a timeline can be built (when the problem started and when it stopped, if it has) and to get an idea of how many times they've done it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and i would certainly question why this was not done on official letterhead

is someone tryng to keep this out of the system? or have they just sent you their copy by mistake?

I have three months to complain to the ombudsman, that's enough time for me to work on a nice letter to them. I have had a look at the website and there is an on-line complaints form, but unfortunately not a lot of room to list the complaint(s) in too much detail (obviously they don't want too much detail as it might implicate the solicitor, you are complaining about, in some wrong doings).:roll:

Anyone any thought's, please, on forming a thread to list complaints about Howard Cohen/Cromer Cohen or whatever they are going to call themselves today. Would that be a job for one of the site team to instigate?

Nice to see the 'Old Boy' network is alive and well in this country.:mad:

Seriously I would contact Gordons LLP and request a signed copy of their official response to be sent to on company headed paper, at least then there will be a document of some standing that could be produced in the result of any further complaint about this practice. If they do not/will not send, then this will speak volumes about their 'investigation'.

We are pleased that the firm have taken your report to us seriously and have explained that as a direct result of this they have tightened up their procedures to avoid future instances of such a mistake being made again. For that we thank you for drawing your concerns to our attention because it is as a result of this that the firm’s procedures have been improved. /QUOTE]

This is actually quite useful, as any letters sent by 'mistake' in future should be taken far more seriously.

Digital requests for judgment are submitted to the court in respect of approximately 2500 cases at one time./QUOTE]

This just goes to confirm one of HC's tactics that we all know. Stick in a claim and hope the Defendant is either too scared or does not know their rights and get a default judgement.

They don't like it if you defend:grin: Earlier this week I phoned them regarding a case against me by them. I was told 'You started this action' I replied 'No you submitted the Claim' to which I was told 'but you defended':???: I wish I recorded my calls (note to self, put phone recorder on Christmas list)

Good luck, keep on fighting, you know how much this firm of 'Solicitors' is despised around here!

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

This is where we slip up, imho, I reported it as a single complaint, they investigate it as a single complaint, it can be quite easily excused as a one off human error, but we all know that it is not a one off, it is, at the end of the day, professional misconduct at the very least. I am now going to the Legal Services Ombudsman, suggesting that the Solicitors investigating the Solicitors have failed to take the complaint seriously, and basically white washed my complaint. It would be nice to present them with several instances of 'human error' but unfortunately I can't.

This is ridiculous, how can they say it was "Human Error", one or two maybe, but it seems as though these letters are being churned out by the 100's

I guess the only thing you say is that having searched online forums, you have discovered this is NOT a one off incident. Also point out as a previous poster has that there is information contained in the ltters that is specific to each one therefore it cannot be just pushed aside as a "standard news letter" type.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is ridiculous, how can they say it was "Human Error", one or two maybe, but it seems as though these letters are being churned out by the 100's

I guess the only thing you say is that having searched online forums, you have discovered this is NOT a one off incident. Also point out as a previous poster has that there is information contained in the ltters that is specific to each one therefore it cannot be just pushed aside as a "standard news letter" type.

Hi, CB. I had a bit of a battle in the first place, trying to get them to focus on this part of the complaint.

Yes, I have searched the forums and discovered that there are quite a few caggers having received very similar letters, but like I say, it is better going en force than individually.

Hopefully they will add their stories to mine.

Seriously I would contact Gordons LLP and request a signed copy of their official response to be sent to on company headed paper, at least then there will be a document of some standing that could be produced in the result of any further complaint about this practice. If they do not/will not send, then this will speak volumes about their 'investigation'.

Thank's PM, I've sent the email back requesting the contents of the email be sent to me on Agency headed paper and signed.

See what happens (there doesn't seem to be a smiley for holding one's breath)

See what happens (there doesn't seem to be a smiley for holding one's breath)

Just dont try doing it for real :rolleyes::D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not sure if you are subscribed to the following thread, which Martin3030 started a while ago on this very subject.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/206593-howard-cohen-discussion-thread.html

HTH

BCOBS

Not sure if you are subscribed to the following thread, which Martin3030 started a while ago on this very subject.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/206593-howard-cohen-discussion-thread.html

HTH

Thanks CB, I wasn't aware of the link, so thank you. I've added my link to his.

If you contact the court they will ask you for a 'claim' no & if there isn't one on the form they won't check because they can't, they need a number. This may explain why some of these alleged CCJ's do not display a claim number

Anyone who receives one of these 'unumbered orders' should send a copy to the court asking if it's genuine:D

Nice one JonCris :D

BCOBS

Hi MA,

Hope I can help, my wife had the same exact same letter from HC mid July despite having filed a defence online to their pointless Next claim (no signed CCA) at the end of June.

I phoned the court and they confirmed there was NO judgment, that HC had applied for judgment on 13/07 but it was refused as a defence was filed. The HC letter was dated 17th so seems to be automated for a 4 day delay after Judgment request is put in.

The court have not heard from them and the claim was stayed on 22/07.

All-importantly the HC letter was posted AFTER their promised process improvements were supposedly in place. This proves they clearly lied to the 'investigating' sols.

The letter works too well for them to change the process, it's use is deliberate and systematic, it must rake in 1000s from the unsuspecting non CAGers out there.

This bunch of rotund charlatans are inexcusably flagrant in their abuse and should be brought to book.

Happy to add the letter to the the pile you'll hopefully have when you reply to the ombudsmen/sols.

cheers

gf2k

Brilliant, gf2k,

I don't think the "investigating" solicitors "investigated" very well. You wonder whose side they are on? :rolleyes: Clearly the SRB, SRA, whatever who replaced the Law Society, cannot entrust such a serious and important investigation to the Gordons lot again. I am sure you will enjoy writing the letter MA.:)

Thanks everyone, I am compiling a letter to the Legal Ombudsman. I was at first going to use their on line facility, but the space for entering reasons for complaint is only big enough for a couple of lines (I wonder why).

It's interesting to note that I have contacted our local court and Howard Cohen have failed to reply to them within the required time.

Hi MA,

Hope I can help, my wife had the same exact same letter from HC mid July despite having filed a defence online to their pointless Next claim (no signed CCA) at the end of June.

I phoned the court and they confirmed there was NO judgment, that HC had applied for judgment on 13/07 but it was refused as a defence was filed. The HC letter was dated 17th so seems to be automated for a 4 day delay after Judgment request is put in.

The court have not heard from them and the claim was stayed on 22/07.

All-importantly the HC letter was posted AFTER their promised process improvements were supposedly in place. This proves they clearly lied to the 'investigating' sols.

The letter works too well for them to change the process, it's use is deliberate and systematic, it must rake in 1000s from the unsuspecting non CAGers out there.

This bunch of rotund charlatans are inexcusably flagrant in their abuse and should be brought to book.

Happy to add the letter to the the pile you'll hopefully have when you reply to the ombudsmen/sols.

cheers

gf2k

As well as phoning the court have you also sent them a copy of the Cohen letter if not do so with a covering letter explaining that what they are doing is widespread & all over the net

Edited by JonCris

good idea jc

will draft a quick cover letter and post with copy to court tomorrow.

not sure if greater visibility equates to greater accountability but can't hurt, certainly lowers their 'credibility' quotient.

chrz

gf2k

• 3 months later...

Right, an update :-

HC failed to supply documents to court as directed b the Judge so case stayed.

Compaint made to SRA regarding letter fro HC informing OH that there was a Judgement in force (this was just after the first hearing before allocation. SRA wrote back stating that enquiry handed to Gordon's LLP (who just happen to be a firm of Solicitors in Leeds). SRA then wrote to sya that Gordon's had investigated and found it to be a 'one off clerical error and safeguards put in place to ensure it would not happen again'. I have now done a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman regarding the investigation by the SRA and am awaiting their reply. I have pointed out to them that I am aware of several other 'Caggers' who have complained to the SRA regarding HC and that each complaint has been handed to Gordons for investigation and each of us have received the same or similar letter back.

If anyone else has a similar letter from Howard Cohen's, or a similar letter from SRA, please complain to the Legal Ombudsman.

Have you thought about applying an N244 strike out for non compliance...im surpised that the judge hasnt thrown it out due to not providing the docs as directed....

I did write prior to the hearing , but after the date the documents should have been served on myself and the Court, asking for it to thrown out, but I got a letter back stating the Judge would make a decision on the hearing date. The documents were actually sent the day before the Court (to myself) and presumably sent by fax to the Court. The Judge just said case set aside.