"Not read: " receipt...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few days ago I sent an important email, with attachments. I asked for a read receipt (but didn't get one) but I know the recipient received it because they emailed me saying they couldn't open the attachments.

Last night I received a receipt saying "Not read:" and the name of my original message. And when I opened it, it said

"Your message

To: xxx

Cc: xxx;

Subject: Re: xxx

Sent: xx/xx/2009 xxxx

was deleted on 05/02/2009 23:55.
"

Can anyone tell me how this is done? When I receive a "read reciept" email I am asked whether I want to send a read receipt or not. But I've never seen a "Not read" receipt before.

Any ideas?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

You could have sent the attachement in a format that the recipient couldn't open ie; you sent in Microsoft word and they do not have Microsoft office on their computer.

If it's a work computer, that can be set up that all attachements are put into a bin so they can't be opened.

Most senders of viruses that use email use attachments to send malware.

You could have sent the attachement in a format that the recipient couldn't open ie; you sent in Microsoft word and they do not have Microsoft office on their computer.

?? Crossed wires I think. The read receipt is for the email, not the attachments (which were in formats the recipient has been able to open before).

I'm not concerned about the attachments.

I only mentioned them because it proved the email had arrived (when the recipient said he couldn't open them).

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Some programs can be set up to send a delete receipt as well as a read/delivery receipt.

They usually have the same contraints in that they ask the recipient to click them to send, but don't show if the email has been opened.

Some programs can be set up to send a delete receipt as well as a read/delivery receipt.

They usually have the same contraints in that they ask the recipient to click them to send, but don't show if the email has been opened.

But he must have opened the email because he replied, by email, saying he couldn't open the attachments. :confused:

If he opened the email how can he send an email saying he hasn't read it?

Emails can be read without being opened, outlook has the facility to do that, its a split screen and the bottom half shows the contents of the email, hope this helps

Regards

LilyLou

Regards

LilyLou

If I have been helpful please tip my scales

Any advice/comments I give are based solely on personal experience, if in doubt please consult an expert.

A few days ago I sent an important email, with attachments. I asked for a read receipt (but didn't get one) but I know the recipient received it because they emailed me saying they couldn't open the attachments.

He said he couldn't open the attachement not the email, and he doesn't have to click on the 'send a read receipt'.

Emails can be read without being opened, outlook has the facility to do that, its a split screen and the bottom half shows the contents of the email, hope this helps

Regards

LilyLou

Doh, silly me. I forgot about that - If memory serves it's called a "preview" screen or something like that? We used to have that till a computer technician said it was dangerous...easier for viruses or trojans or worms or something so now we just get the sender's name, title, date, time stuff and have to click on it to open it.

Can you print out from the preview screen? Or do you have to open to print? Can you see attachments and open them from preview screen?

He said he couldn't open the attachement not the email

:confused: Read receipts are sent when the email is opened, not when the attachments are opened.

and he doesn't have to click on the 'send a read receipt'

It was a computer generated email that I received saying "Not Read: xxx". It was not an email that the recipient typed up and sent.

If your using Microsoft office, then resend the attachement in PDF format, everyone has that facility installed.

Conniff - we are talking at crossed purposes. I couldn't care less whether he opened the attachments or not.

I am concerned to know how he was able to send a computer generated email, "Not Read: Re: xxxxx" - the meaning of which was "I have not read your email and I have deleted it".

Because the email was read without being opened, the email programme after a set amount of time will automatically tell you it has not been read, meaning it has not been opened.

Regards

Lilylou

Regards

LilyLou

If I have been helpful please tip my scales

Any advice/comments I give are based solely on personal experience, if in doubt please consult an expert.

Because the email was read without being opened, the email programme after a set amount of time will automatically tell you it has not been read, meaning it has not been opened.

Regards

Lilylou

Thank you Lilylou,

OK, I understand now that you can read an email in the preview pane and if you don't send the read receipt it gets sent automatically after a certain time lapse and says "not read".

I've just turned on "preview pane" and see that you can print and open attachments from it. So OK - got it.