!st Credit Stat Demand

andygo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's all happening in our house!

My son used to live in a rented flat in Nottingham until about 4 months ago. As he has now left the country to travel the world for a while I recently got his mail redirected.

One of the first things to arrive by the mail redirection is a letter from Connaught saying they following the recent delivery of their stat demand they are now in a position to present a bankruptcy petition.

I presume it is too late to apply to have it the SD set aside, and in any case he is out of the country. I presume Connaught wion't talk to me re data protection, so wonder what the best course of action would be?

By the way its for a Barcalycard debt of under £1500, card issued I understand about 6 years ago when he was at Uni.

Standard threatogram format from this pair.

Has your son any assets at all ? if not then its a really hollow threat.

It will cost them over £1000 to petition for your sons bankruptcy, they are not going to do that if they are not going to get back the debt plus costs.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

Have first credit/connaughts ever made anyone Bankrupt?

Sadly they have. One of our esteemed Site Team no less. He was made bankrupt without him even knowing about it! He managed to get this annulled in the end, but only after months of effort and anguish. He will probably post up a link to his thread if he sees this one.

This is a totally different case. If your son has no assets, then they would be idiots to petition for his bankruptcy. It would cost them around £1,000, and they would get nothing in return.

You say the card was issued about 6 years ago. Do you have any idea when the last payment would have been made?

As this is an old Sharklycard, there will almost certainly be no valid agreement.

This doesn't sound too troublesome a case, except for the international factor. In this country of money before people, and expediency before justice, we see many cases of judgments being awarded against people who never received the papers in the first place.

Bankruptcy is obviously a more serious case than even a CCJ, but I have read of the one incident mentioned above of someone being made bankrupt in their absence, so the threat must be there.

As for asking for the CCA, I assume that can be done from another country. In fact, as no signature is needed (in fact it is strongly advised that the letter is never signed), I am assuming that a CCA request could be made in the son's name using the parents' address.

If anybody has any experience or knowledge relating to people being made bankrupt while they were out of the country, it would be very much welcomed here.

SH