Settled accounts

BEC01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here is a question that I hope someone on here with a better legal mind than I may be able to answer.

If an account it settled, and closed, then the contract between lender and consumer is deemed to have ended.

Therefore, the data that is held for that contract then ceases to belong to the lender (even though we know that it never has!).

Is there any legal grounding for removing all CRA references for accounts that have been settled and closed? If so, then this would totally clean up a friend's credit file that has been clean for almost 2 years, but is getting hit for missed payments 3+ years ago on settled accounts.

Just trying to add another bit of ammo to the stockpile!

Look forward to feedback.

:)

Normally an account being settled means one of two things:

1: Debt has been sold to a DCA so has been marked settled

2: your friend paid up.

To try and get it removed the best way would be sending a request under s10 of the DPA, and asking them kindly to remove the info. If you go in with all barrels blazing there likely to tell you where to go.

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

Normally an account being settled means one of two things:

1: Debt has been sold to a DCA so has been marked settled

2: your friend paid up.

To try and get it removed the best way would be sending a request under s10 of the Data Protection Act, and asking them kindly to remove the info. If you go in with all barrels blazing there likely to tell you where to go.

Hello Jester,

Yes they paid the amounts in full.

Situation was that they had 3 months of no income, then a large lump sum came along which was used to clear the accounts. No account was more than 3 months in arrears, no defaults, no disputes (as far as I am aware).

What I would like to know is if there is a watertight legal route to get all information pertaining to the accounts removed once settled; or - as Jester suggests - that it is just a case of asking for a bit of goodwill. If there is a legal case, then it could be very useful indeed. Not just for this case.

Unfortunately the Information Commissioners Office says that CRA's can keep settled accounts for six years,

the only stipulation is that they mark them as just ...." Settled" no other information

sparkie

Does that mean that previous payment information has to be removed?

i would have replied earlier but somehow CAG emails arent getting to me! LOL

BUT

You might be able to get away with whats called a s10 DPA Request.

Basically what this does is revoke any previous authorisation for that company to process your data. Asking them to remove all information they have placed about you from, not only there systems, but would include experians.

Now if you do send an s10 then im sure they will reply on the lines of "We share info etc for your future dealings with us and others and basically bugger off"

They seem to think they have the authoirity to control your lifes. Give the s10 a try.

Notice pursuant to s.10 of The Data Protection Act 1998.

Re: account no. XXXXXXXXX

Account holder. XXXXXXXXX

Address. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Whereas I have been a customer of XXXXXXX Bank since XXXYEARXXX and whereas I consented in my contract with you to the disclosure by you of certain data to third parties, at no time did I consent and neither was it within the contemplation of the parties to the contract that I did consent to the processing by you of that data in any manner which would be unfair or inaccurate or which in any way would breach The Data Protection Act 1998

Therefore Take Notice that I require that you cease from processing within 7 days of the receipt by you of this notice or else that you do not begin to process any personal data of which I am the subject insofar as that processing involves the communication or passing of personal data of which I am the subject to any third party and insofar as the said data relates wholly or in part to the implementation by you of charges which have been applied to my account in respect of defaults or contractual breaches and where the said charges which have been levied at a rate which is in excess of the administrative costs incurred by you as a consequence of the said defaults or breaches contrary to The Common Law.

This Notice is given on the grounds that the processing or continued processing by you of the said data will be likely to affect my credit rating and my reputation and cause substantial damage and/or substantial distress to me and my family members in addition to that which may already have been caused and that as the processing of the said data in the way referred to in this notice would violate the fourth, first and sixth principles of The Data Protection Act 1998 to do so would be unwarranted.

signed

Edit and adjust where needed

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!