Section 21 served by registered post...letter returned

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I normally accept double deposit, but this is a deposit and will be returned when you hand the property back in good condition. I would also put a clause in the agreement that upon inspection if we find any damage then i can immediatey revoke permission without any notice. I would carry out inspection on month 1 month 4 and then if all is fine i would let you live in peace and offer you a new tenancy at the end of the agreement or serve you with notice to quit at end of 4th month.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally accept double deposit, .

What! For a rabbit.......this is a bit steep, it should be less than a cat or dog. Rabbits are only partial to the odd nibble but cats scratch and get up to all sorts. As for dogs, we won't go there...........

I am in shock.

The answer to your question is very rarely when you have a bad tenant does the deposit cover all the damage and we often end up out of pocket. It the rabbit chews a suite, then there is a few hundred pounds alone, if it chews electrrical cables again more money. So it is just a goodwill gesture from the prospective tenant. If you have an animal expect to pay more, the facts are unfortunate but if you have to replace carpets due to rabbits eating things then there is more money again.

I have to state that some properties that i have i dont even take an extra deposit so it all depends on a number of things.

For the shock its best to take a double whisky, it works wonders for me.

Sounds like you have it in for rabbits! Although in the same class as some nastier rodents (rats etc) rabbits have not been known for trashing houses. Eating the odd lettuce, nibbling the odd shoot but nothing more substantive.

I will pass on the whiskey, a carrot tends to float my boat.

Hello Monty2007,

As I said before I definately dont have it in for rabbits, also i dont invite my rabbit in the house anymore since he got behind my TV unit and bit my arial cable.

I have to say that the rabbit was my choice as oppose to a cat or a dog.

As a landlord ourselfs, we allow pets into our property..and dont charge any extra. I would say People cause more damage than animals anyway!!!

We rent a property ourselves ( rented our own propety out in town...pays for a larger one in the countryside!;)) however we had such a struggle to find one which allows our 2 dogs and 2 cats was a nightmare!! We were treated like social Leppars at some agents... ERGHHH I dont think the landlord would allow THEM!!

I hoover my house twice a day..all my animals are house trained not that I have to justify pets!!

Excellent post IHA, we found the same when we told the agents we have a 13 year old Labrador - never caused any damage and unlikely to start now! We were able to convince one agent that he was a retired guide dog so they let us list him in the ASTA as "the existing dog" such that we can't get another one. It was a "white lie" and quite frankly you would be taking your life in your hands if you ever closed your eyes and let him guide you across a road............he is cute though.

I agree with your comment that people cause more damage than animals, you should see our local park!

It was a "white lie" and quite frankly you would be taking your life in your hands if you ever closed your eyes and let him guide you across a road............he is cute though.

!

lol that did make me chuckle!!

I would actually be prepared to pay more in rent/bonds if people allowed pets.. give people respect.. you get it back.

I can understand where landlords are coming from... I'm not sure I would allow someone with say 2 puppies in, as from a animals owners point of view I know the damage they could cause..

there should be give and take... my dogs are getting on now they dont chew..prefer to sleep, eat and go for walkies! plus they protect the house from burglers if were out!! ;):D

as a landlord ( well landlady:D!) I like to meet prospective tenants.. and there dogs and find out information about people rather than pre judging.

If I had 10 people wanting the house I would give prefrence to people with an older dog over a younger one..

However I would also give preference to someone WITH Pets over someone without, as I know how difficult it can be.

At the end of the day the House is insured, I have a bond so I dont see a problem.

PS I am not anti none pet owning people!!... I just can understand the difficultys in finding a property which allows them.. you see far to many animals in resuce centres purely down to the fact they are not allowed in private rented property and the owners have had no choice other than to rehome the dog... which must be heart breaking

• 5 months later...

Hello all!

I let my property last September and the end date of the contract is the 24th September 2008. It is a standard contract.

Would I have to give the tenants notice on the 24th August or does the contract end naturally?

Thanks.

Section 21 giving 2 MONTHS clear notice. So you need to get it to them by next wednesday at the latest (Assuminging you didnt serve one at the beginning of the AST).

Remember the only way you can get a tenant out is with a court order. If your looking to move back in yourself, keep this in mind and have "what if" arangements in place for the 24th September onwards in case they dont leave.

oh one more thing...I am overseas.

will email count. or do you recommend recorded delivery.

i have an uneasy relationship with the tenants...basically they are keeping cats, lying about it and the cats have already ripped a brand new leather sofa in the property.

How notices should be served is normally written into the tenanncy agreement. If it isnt then I would recomend recorded delivery for your piece of mind.

By the way, did you register the deposit in one the tennacy deposit protection schemes? this is very very important in relation to the section 21 notice.

By the way, all this makes the assumption the property is in Englabnd/Wales and not Scotland

You must have an address within england and wales that you can be sent post to, otherwise the eviction (if it goes that far) will fail.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Yes, I do have a UK postal address.

Yes the deposit is held TDS.

I have found another page of the agreement signed by the tenant. The title of the top reads "I require possession of the dwelling on or after 24th September"

Does this mean I can serve a one month notice instead of two?

Thanks.

You guys are fantastic

No. 2 months notice ALWAYS. What you MAY have there is a "Sword of Damocles" Section 21 agreement. However, you will need to post the FULL text of that document to inform you whether or not it is a valid notice, allowing you to begin eviction proceedings at the end of the contract.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Hi all!

My tenants has just emailed me and said this...

"We had to get rid of one of your beds as the girls were complaining of a strange smell from it. We think it was a musky damp smell but it was really bad."

They have kids. Beds dont suddenly smell ! Not unless they have got damp on them and have been wet! Also, they are keeping cats!

Can they do this

Also, I will need to replace this bed upon possession.

Can i buy another one and claim for it under the deposit held under TDS.

Dont want to sound mean and scrooge like but they could have told me first!!!

Was the bed listed in the inventory? How old and what was the condition of the bed?