Davenport Lyons going against file sharers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have also reminded them (davenports) that i am in receipt of there unsolicited letter and is impossible to be the subject of copyrite when it was not requested nor was it without predudice so can i post this letter on here...come on bookworm let me post it...if you wish i am willing to have both laptops subjected to deep packet inspection to prove i have not been downloading the offensive material

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

File sharers Faites Attention!

The French National Assembly has voted to impose a three strike law for illegal file sharing following a final debate where many deputies failed even to appear. This law includes provision for setting up a ‘High Authority’ that will monitor internet usage and ultimately decide whether access is blocked and for how long. The flexibility is to avoid the situation where an entire institution lacks internet access because of the illegal activities of a single student or member of staff. The new law could still be challenged under the French Constitution and the European Parliament, however. For the full story go to: http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=9927

(03/04/09)

Irish ISP Association Snubs Three Strikes Deal

Plans to block websites that may facilitate piracy and disconnect users would amount to a breach of privacy, according to the ISP Association of Ireland. The Association says that such measures put forward by The Irish Recorded Music Association are unnecessary and detrimental to the development of new internet services and e-business. The Association of Ireland’s view may offer some comfort to institutions but the music industry proposals reflect a growing opinion that ISPs should monitor and act on unlawful file sharing. Irelands largest ISP, Eircom, has agreed to the three strikes rule after eight days of a court case instigated by a music industry lobby group. You can read the full article at: http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=9887

(19/03/09)

• 1 month later...

will consider re posting at a later date

Edited by patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

Edited by patrickq1

Edited by patrickq1

It Is Apalling And As The Person Says Highly Valuable Material ? What On Earth Does This Mean More Blackmailing Letters ?

who ever sent the e mail concerning me publishing this,i will re iterate i have two laptops that have never been involved in downloads and have absolutely nothing to fear,these laptops can be dated back to the dates of the supposed downloads and a deep packet inspection would prove this that is why i maintain innocence and fear no one sending me e mails i do understand someone may have been trying to help but to send me an e mail of a website downloding company i have no particular intrest...sorry for you releasing this data i know you are on our website cag...it may cost you your job but at least i am free from blame i should not feel intimidated by anyone especially from DAVENPORT LYONS and if i could afford it i would be in court tommorrow it is that simple...who on earth do DAVENPORTS think they are to send me letters threatening and asking for money DAVENPORTS MAY CONSIDER THEY ARE HOME FREE,BUT BELEIVE ME I WILL NOT LET THIS GO

PATRICKQ1

i have also reminded them (davenports) that i am in receipt of there unsolicited letter and is impossible to be the subject of copyrite when it was not requested nor was it without predudice so can i post this letter on here...come on bookworm let me post it...if you wish i am willing to have both laptops subjected to deep packet inspection to prove i have not been downloading the offensive material
Sorry, have only just seen it!

Not up to me, hun, I haven't been a mod for months now! Best I can advice is report your own post asking for the site team if it's ok or not. ;-)

This site has discussed this issue

Davenport Lyons Threatens to Sue Wikileaks Over Publication of Extortion Letter - Wikileaks

I believe they still have the letter in PDF format on view aswell for anyone else that wants to read it

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

sorry booki i did not realise you were no longer a M so your a rocker now lol

just pondering bout these post so i will delete give them a break or someone a break....

patrickq1

I think this is all a [problem], it's no more than threatening for money with menaces. The simple fact is, sites like the pirate bay and all the others insert random IP information into things like torrent trackers to confuse this sort of thing, and as such innocent people are always going to be victims of these companies. Throw in the ease at which wireless networks are being cracked the general ignorance of people when it comes to understanding what security is and how to properly secure their PC and network... this is why DL have never had a case taken to and tested properly in a court. They prey on people being too scared and gullible, and that they will pay up. They have no legal grounds for demanding this money.

It also appears that DL are no longer pursueing this line of business at all, I read a few weeks ago that another company has taken up the flag and is staffed by ex DL people. Trying to deflect the bad publicity away from themselves now and an entire new firm has sprung up to deal soley with the cash cow that is extorting money from people.

It doesn't matter what they claim in the letter... make them prove it in a court of law and if they won't demand a full and public apology for the false allegations. Contact the media and BBC watchdog if you get anything from these charlatans and show them up for the lowlifes they are.

yes i no longer care about who sends mail,,TAKE ME TO COURT will be my only response then claim for damages and also data protection act they have falsely accused me and obtained data without my permission..was considering writing to BT as they supplied the DATA WRONGLY in my eyes and did not defend their possition..hence the rreaso i left bt for breaching my data f their loss not mine ,so as i see it i would love it to go to court sooner rather than later...

patrickq1

yes i no longer care about who sends mail,,TAKE ME TO COURT will be my only response then claim for damages and also data protection act they have falsely accused me and obtained data without my permission..was considering writing to BT as they supplied the DATA WRONGLY in my eyes and did not defend their possition..hence the rreaso i left bt for breaching my data f their loss not mine ,so as i see it i would love it to go to court sooner rather than later...

patrickq1

This is now being discussed in another thread entitled ACS Law, they have apparently taken over from DL, then issue was also discussed on 'watchdog' bbc radio program You & Yours.

Andy

Hi,

I have received one of these letters yesterday and am worried sick of it due to the 500 plus they are asking from me, thing is I actually did download the film they are accusing me of downloading.

Can anyone please give any advice regarding this or shall I just try and pay up? I've had one of the worse nights sleep over this, I've been always told that anyone who downloaded copyright infringement would be given a 3 strikes scenario to stop doing so.

They say I have 21 days to settle but the weird thing is there isn't even a phone number to call to try and arrange a settlement or payment scheme, on my low salary there is no way I can afford to pay out over 500 in one lump.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

U say u did actually download the work. What happened in the end? Did you pay up?

regards

Nick

U say u did actually download the work. What happened in the end? Did you pay up

i would let them go to court (which they will never do)they just barely legaly short of being branded as BLACKMAILERS AND GANGTERS ....in my opinion...i wuld love to see the whites of ther eyes in court i cant wait for a letter to come if they have had it from DAVENPORTS gggrr hurry up postman ..

patrickq1

ps..with regards to making complaints to the solicitors MOB what a waste of space and writing that will be,ther opinions dont **** and the complaint has to come from other solicitors....fat chance they will moan about each other huh

one big gavy train..almost as bad s MP s expenses

• 3 weeks later...

Now it's ringtones

The American Society of Composer, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) filed a lawsuit against telecoms giant AT&T, in which it told a federal court that ringtones fell under the public perfomance Copyright Act.

What happens there will happen here.

So can we expect Davenport Lyons to be issueing suits against those with ringtones and the police to arrest someone in the street when their phone rings.

This greed really has turned stupid now. Next you will have to pay copyright if you whistle or hum a tune.

Lawyers claim ringtones are public performance ? The Register

_________________________ ___________________

If my posting has been of any assistance - please tip my scales.

Foreign Aid - taxing poor people in rich countries for the benefit of rich people in poor countries.

Make a Report to Consumer Direct Here

Poll: Who will you vote for in the next General Election?

· Labour · Conservative · Liberal · Other · (Results)

Using copyright so your letters can't be published needs to be err sorted.

What happens if debt collectors get wind of this turd of an idea :rolleyes:

There are of course certain instances where copyright documents can be posted, if indeed it's actually copyrighted (not hard as you can copyright any letter you write).

Fair use for a start, plus things like research.

if a letter is sent to you unsolicited surely it cannot be claimed copyrite....regardless what davenports say i for one will publish my letter on here but the upstairs boys cannot afford problems i presume so i am hanging fire...i have informed DAVENPORTS that i do not accept their claim of copyrits and have sent the davenport letter to which magazine and informermed davenport of this and since i am in breech of there copyrite then take me to court......nothing has to date happened they have just ignored my mail

patrickq1

• 1 month later...

And there's more from this band of bloodsuckers.

US music publishers sue online lyrics sites

Music moguls are opening up another can of web whoop-ass on alleged copyright-infringement miscreants, this time suing online lyrics sites.

And no, this isn't a move by the Recording Industry Ass. of America (RIAA), which is apparently still basking in the glory of its $1.92m victory over the file-sharing mother of four, Jammie Thomas-Rasset.

This time out it's the National Music Publishers Association (NMPA), which announced Monday that three of its members - Peermusic, Warner/Chappell, and BugMusic - have filed suit against two websites that threaten the commonwealth by posting song lyrics without paying the NMPA for the right to do so.

More Here

• 1 month later...

It's a [problem]! :eek:

"Copyright holders might prefer piracy now"

Copyright holders might prefer piracy now | News | TechRadar UK

It says:

"In a somewhat cynical table-turning exercise, a German anti-piracy body seems to be encouraging illegal downloading of music and other media in an effort to strong-arm money out of lawbreakers.

DigiRights Solutions (DRS) from Darmstadt has circulated a presentation to potential clients explaining how they might make more money by pursuing illegal filesharers than from regular, legal sales.

No questions asked

The key to the DRS strategy is a previously unknown figure suggesting 25 per cent of people who receive a letter threatening legal action prefer to just pay the settlement fee without question.

As copyright holders in the DRS model get €90 (£84) of the €450 (£418) damages charge per offense, that can be up to 150 times what a legal download brings in.

Weighing the options

Clearly, the approach is reliant on simple mathematics – the number of legal sales compared to the amount of threatening letters DRS can send out for a client in any given period.

The company says it can currently go after 5,000 illegal downloaders a month so, given the discrepancy between the two monetary values being weighed here, it could find itself with a lot more cash-hungry clients before long."

So now you know - they work on the exact same principle as PPC's - send out enough letters and enough people pay to make this 'business model' a very lucrative [problem] indeed.

If you receive one - simply ignore......and they will go away, preferring to chase easier pray! ;)