worried about being self employed at this moment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

our business is electrical contractors

we have had a downturn in businness, it is really going really slow at this minute, where do we stand at this moment we are just and i mean just ok, meeting our suppliers and living expenses, but i am worried with the climate at it is where does a self employed person stand where they get no business in to cover there expenses what do we do, it has been going steadlilly down as the weeks go on, i am really worried as i do like to pay our bills on time and have always done so , but i am getting worried any comments will help at this moment

I dont blame you!

With the major house building companies cutting back and industry pulling in the purse strings its happening all over. I work for a PAT testing company and we too seem to be losing some big clients lately.

Strangely enough as a company we are trying to get into the installation and inspection side of things!

I know what mean, Both my husband and I are self-employed. He is a tiler and I make curtains etc. I have been looking a the job section of the local paper for myself but I think my computer skills are not up to scratch to get a job with enough money if things get really bad for my husband.

I have also been looking at my business to see if there are areas I haven't touched before i.e. caravan, boats.... or giving a "extra value" that my competitors don't.

I don't want to waste a money useless marketing so I have been googling for ideas on free marketing although I have not really come up with anything yet. If I find something that may help I'll keep you posted.

Good luck I thing we'll all need it sooner or later.

AJ

:-|

Ashleyjane, do you supply hotels, guest houses, holiday lets etc? I have a friend who makes curtains and soft furnishings and she does quite well out of the smaller hotel (not the large chains hotels, they have large suppliers) and holiday home market.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

hi

our business is electrical contractors

we have had a downturn in businness, it is really going really slow at this minute, where do we stand at this moment we are just and i mean just ok, meeting our suppliers and living expenses, but i am worried with the climate at it is where does a self employed person stand where they get no business in to cover there expenses what do we do, it has been going steadlilly down as the weeks go on, i am really worried as i do like to pay our bills on time and have always done so , but i am getting worried any comments will help at this moment

Hi Julie

Have you seen if you qualify for Council Tax Benefit, Tax credits?

hi, I am considering going self employed and have been for about 6 months now. I put a few posters in the local area and only had one call and that was for a quote. I had one job relating to my business (gardening) and got £50 up front and the rest once completed, basically, when the woman left, her other half came out and complained about the job, etc...I emptied their waste from my vehicle and said I had lost about £200 and passed this on to small claims court. They satteld out fo court as a contract had been signed and they had refused to pay, this was sorted out in court as un beknown to them i had taken photos of the work carried out..Anyway, sorry about that, any1 got any suggestions or advice for setting up, I havent got a great deal of capital due to payouts each month for child minder, mortgage..yarda yarda..i have got most of the equipment, I was thinking of getting some business cards and going further afield...

Hi Chasin Sunsets,

You will always get people like the ones you mentioned in your post but the good ones alway out weight the bad.

If haven't done so already get in touch with the tax credit people I find them helpful. Alway put 30% of your earned away - this will pay your tax bill & nics4 at the end of the year - there may even be some left over.

I got in touch with my local entreprise company before I started and they paid me about £50 a week for about the six months - they can also help with marketing.

The only paid advertising I do is in the yellow pagers - although this seems expensive you can get a discount for being new and you can pay monthly. There is no need to compete with the big boys - a lot of people look at these and think too expensive

Honestly this has worked for both my husband and myself.

Also business cards - give them to satified clients to pass on.

Its a bit scary at time but every satisfying - Good luck.

AJ:)

:-|

Thanks Ashley for the info, I am looking into this while I am off for work in August. I will do business cards and hit areas I have been told by a former gardener. I have picked up a few jobs in the winter and the rain isnt helping much at the moment either! Really, my fiance has an issue with the pay and also guaranteed wage coming in each month. As it is I have hardly any left each month while she earns twice as much as me and has loads left for spending. I am studying with the OU to get my degree and may have the chance of a better job once graduated, but by then I hope to incorporate this into the gardening side and take on other jobs within engineering. At the moment, I have no loyalty to employer becasue of the way I have and am been treated, being forced out by appointiung other people for jobs that I can do and I ahve to take a back seat...really pees me off....