CRA File - we don't know where that record came from, oops?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

I am hoping someone can give their opinion on this debacle. I am trying to sort out my credit files and found some strange stuff. Strangest was a financial association that was listed from 9/11/2000 linking me to my OH (we have NOTHING joint/no financial ties like that - never have).

The source of the link was blank but then linked me to his file which I realise now has caused problems. My OH had a golden credit file and could never understand why he didn't get low rates and a rejections etc. ASked Equifax to investigate and this was their reply:

We acknowledge your comments and can confirm that the Association appearing on your Credit Report may have been derived from records previously held on our system. However, we are unable to confirm the original source as the information which created the Association has now expired.

So, they have no idea where it came from (MAY be from their old records?)

Original source of info has expired:confused:

Do they not have a duty to have some accuracy and are they not supposed to keep relevant records for as long as they may be required?

Is this an acceptable response for something that has cost my OH money for years?

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Hi Dipply75,

I had a similar issue with my credit profile. A linked association with no information except a date. In my case the link came from an Application, it was never an account that actually opened however that was deemed enough to create an association. The reason there was no information on it was because the CRA wipes data about the 'search' after 12 months. Although this may have changed since 2001 (When it occured for me).

I would send off a letter of disassociation to them. As for the fact that it has cost your OH more money as a result... I am guessing that they would argue that it is his duty to verify the information on his profile is accurate?

Good luck.

G

Thanks yhs, you're right, they probably would just say that. It amazes me that they can just put any old guff on your file, link you to just about anyone (hwy couldn't it be Al Fayed though lol) and then just take no responsiblilty!

We hold this info, we record this info, we make money from your info - but if you don't watch it like a hawk (and usually pay us to be able to do this) then its your own fault. Magic.

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

exactly Joncris. They have now agreed to remove it. Its really bugging me that its been there all this time though.

We checked Experian files last year, never checked Equifax. Thats another thing, you have to run around all 3 of them, constantly checking as, apparently, they don't actually do any verification or checking themselves.

What are they getting paid for then, just typing up whatever they are given?

Problem solved now but its just not right (whingeing I know):(

Dipply75

exactly Joncris. They have now agreed to remove it. Its really bugging me that its been there all this time though.

We checked Experian files last year, never checked Equifax. Thats another thing, you have to run around all 3 of them, constantly checking as, apparently, they don't actually do any verification or checking themselves.

What are they getting paid for then, just typing up whatever they are given?

Problem solved now but its just not right (whingeing I know):(

The CRA's are supposed to share their data & that includes removing data that's proven incorrect