£50 disconnection fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

While reading my ISP terms and conditions, I came across a clause that states that if I cancel my broadband withib 60 month's I am liable for a £50+vat disconnection charge. They say this is the fee that BT charges them. I am on a month to month basis and have been with them for 2 years and was looking to migrate. I am of the opinion that this is a "penalty" clause used to discourage migration and can it be challenged? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Just some guy. I try to help, but all advice is my opinion.

The £50 is a charge that they would incur, so would not fit classed as "unfair" in my oppinion

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

AAH, but do they? I can't find other ISP's that pay this charge to BT. So can I ask them to provide evidence of this charge that they have paid to BT?

Just some guy. I try to help, but all advice is my opinion.

If you get your broadband from an ISP that just take BT's and repackage it, then they have to pay BT a connection fee. Most ISP's do as 2Grumpy just posted and claw this money back in the initial term, your ISP have done it differently, but I think it would be hard for you to prove it "unfair" as I'm sure that in court your ISP would easily be able to prove that it does in fact incur this initial cost.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

60 months?! That is a 5 years contract! And how can it be "month to month" then?

Because you're not tied in to 1 year, you can leave anytime paying the £50 connection fee. After 5 years they will waive the fee.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar