Missed the last train home due to late connection - had to spend night on platform

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was on a journey from Oxford to Bangor, changing at Birmingham New Street, Crewe and Chester.

I haven't got the exact times to hand but basically the train was due to leave Oxford at 7:30pm ish and arrive in Bangor at 10:45pm. I had planned that, in the event of a train being late, there were still a further 2 trains to Bangor later that night so I shouldn't need to worry about not getting there.

Triain from Oxford was 1 1/2 hours late. As a result I missed all my connections and ended up missing the last train to north Wales. I had always thought that if you miss a train through no fault of your own (i.e. when an earlier train connection is delayed), and as a result you have no way of reaching your destination, the train company should pay for a taxi to take you there.

They refused to do this and I had no option (other than spending hundred of pounds on a taxi - money that I didn't have) but to stay at Chester station until the first train the next day at 5 something in the morning.

They refused to pay because they said the delay had been caused by a different company. Is this valid and do I have a reasonable case to take up with National Rail?

Thank you for any help.

Hi Tom,

I don't know if there is any law which says they must but having been in similar circumstances myself in the past they have always provided me with a taxi.

skb

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

I have asked DH who works for the railway, and he says that you need to take it up with the company which runs the train where the delay occurred, so the one from Oxford, whoever they are.

For future reference, he says what you should have done is get the train company in Bangor to phone the other company service centre to authorise payment for cab.

Thank you for your replies and your advice.

I find that if you are on a journey using several different operators, they all blame each other and seem to deliberately make it impossible to hold them reponsible by simply blaming the other company!

I have also been in this situation a couple of times before, and every time, the company has allowed me to have a free taxi without hesitation. It was sad that it didn't happen this time, but I will take that action if it happens again (which I'm sure it will!).

Thanks again.

After 27 years on the iron road, I would have gone into the Chester Station Supervisors Office and demand a taxi to Bangor.

We once were delayed on a flight from Dallas, TX to Chicago for a flight to London Stanstead.

When we got to the hub at Chicago we had missed our flight to London.

We were then put on a flight to Holland then one to London LHR.

Our lift was at 1030hrs at Stanstead we got our bags at LHR at 1330 and a taxi back to Lichfield.

If the yanks can do that I suspect that the railway company will if you stand upto them.In my experience it has always been a taxi will be provided.

• 1 year later...

Your contract was for a journey between Oxford and Chester. It does not matter who is responsible for the delay, the Chester station staff must honour the contract. They are legally obliged to provide a taxi to Bangor at their expense so that you could have completed your journey. You coould also have claimed compensation for the delay to your journey.

Your contract was for a journey between Oxford and Chester. It does not matter who is responsible for the delay, the Chester station staff must honour the contract. They are legally obliged to provide a taxi to Bangor at their expense so that you could have completed your journey. You coould also have claimed compensation for the delay to your journey.

:lol:

utter tosh

yep thats what i was going to say too.

some rail co's now do a full refund if their train is late by more than XX mins.

phone them 1st thing tomorrow.

i got £278 back from scotrail because the train i was on broke down outside york and we had to go back there and wait for the next train down south.

this meant i missed all the last connections home and they paid for a taxi from Kings X to epping forest too!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

urm...

whats the point in post clocking on cag>>>>>>>>

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

some sites which run this and other such software automatically allow you greater rights or access to certain areas once you get past set levels of posts.

so thus they suffer from people 'post clocking' on old threads with drivel just attain that status.

dx

• Haha 1

and they