DVLA has lost my license!

FlexiWing
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I am also having trouble with the dvla i passed my test in feb 1996 have always keep my address upto date on it but i misplaced my license when we moved last year so went onto the dvla website to reorder a new 1 only to come up with a page saying my details are not on their system so iv phoned them and was asked if i add put in the details correctly which i said yes (like i dont know my name and address)

they are now saying they have no record of my details or of me ever passing my test i really dont know what to do has anyone ever got their license back after the dvla have lost their details

iv never been pulled over by the police or crashed a car my insurance is always upto date

where do i stand on this as from this thread its not looking promising if anything it looks like i'm going to have to retake my test which i really cant afford to do at the moment since being made redundant

oh and i never had to take a theory test back then they come just after i passed

hope someone out there can give me some advice on what to do

how can they just lose someone on their system do they employ monkeys then again monkeys could probably do a better job

Can you find no proof whatsoever that you have already taken and passed the test? old paperwork, the driving school, someone you use to bump into at the driving school etc

It's a case to remember in the future, never send anyone anything without making a copy first.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you find no proof whatsoever that you have already taken and passed the test? old paperwork, the driving school, someone you use to bump into at the driving school etc

It's a case to remember in the future, never send anyone anything without making a copy first.

i dont have any paperwork it was sent off to the dvla when i passed my test so i could get my full license

i went into the test center where i pass my driving test but they said they dont keep records that go that far back and the driving school i took my lessons with was a private school not 1 of these big companies and i cant seem to find any info on them now so asume they have either retired or passed away has he was quite a old bloke at the time

i also went into my old job where i used to drive the company car now and then and got my license number they had on file from when i worked there was made redundant last year but they still cant find my details they have tried using all my old addreses that iv lived at since i passed

really dont know what to do now cant even afford to get a solicitor involved

i dont have any paperwork it was sent off to the dvla when i passed my test so i could get my full license

i went into the test center where i pass my driving test but they said they dont keep records that go that far back and the driving school i took my lessons with was a private school not 1 of these big companies and i cant seem to find any info on them now so asume they have either retired or passed away has he was quite a old bloke at the time

i also went into my old job where i used to drive the company car now and then and got my license number they had on file from when i worked there was made redundant last year but they still cant find my details they have tried using all my old addreses that iv lived at since i passed

really dont know what to do now cant even afford to get a solicitor involved

I think you could ask if the Company who hold you licence number would do a statement to the effect that they would have checked your licence at the time and logged the number for their records.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I think you could ask if the Company who hold you licence number would do a statement to the effect that they would have checked your licence at the time and logged the number for their records.

I guess that's worth a try just 1 problem the line manager was made redundant at the same time i was i suppose i could ask another member of staff thats still there to confirm that i used the company car when i was ther and would of had to show my license its just to bad they only took my license number and not a photo copy

its not looking good and to make things even worst i need to pay for a new gearbox and clutch for my car lol lady luck really doesn't like me much

• 1 year later...

This has just happened to me, got stopped by the police who are prosecuting me for driving on a provisional - I passed in about 25 years ago and they can't find my licence or record of my test certificate. I drove a company car for years, but old company has since confidentially disposed of their records. I have tried to trace my old driving instructor who is now retired. I am still battling to get a copy of the provisoinal from the DVLA - it's a nightmare - are you suing them? Coz I now don't know what to do, I have a taxed and insured car that I can't drive.

Mx

I was recently stopped by the Police, who informed me that I had no insurance for my car (this despite me having my SAGA insurance schedule with me at the time)

The Police then checked on their car computer, to inform me I didnt have a driving licence!

I passed my driving test in 1969, and received my licence in the form of the small Red Book (famililar I am sure to many older forum members!) - this was issued to me from the Wallasey office of the DVLA.

Obviously in those days all records were paper-based.

Despite me not having moved from my address since then, DVLA STILL maintain they have no record of my licence!

My solicitor is taking the next steps to proceed with legal proceedings against the DVLA, as it seems it is entirely their fault that they have no paper-based records of my driving test pass: as it stands DVLA are maintaining I will have to re-apply for a driving test and start from square one!

Has anyone ELSE had this happen to them? if so, please get in contact with me at my emaill address of [EDIT] as the more people that have had this happened to them, the stronger it makes my legal case.

FlexiWing

MODERATOR'S NOTE: It is not wise to post your email address in an open forum.

This has just happened to me, got stopped by the police who are prosecuting me for driving on a provisional - I passed in about 25 years ago and they can't find my licence or record of my test certificate. I drove a company car for years, but old company has since confidentially disposed of their records. I have tried to trace my old driving instructor who is now retired. I am still battling to get a copy of the provisoinal from the DVLA - it's a nightmare - are you suing them? Coz I now don't know what to do, I have a taxed and insured car that I can't drive.

Mx

I have had no luck with the DVLA they will never admit it's their error. I went to court about it but because of the lack of evidence the case was thrown out. So it a case of having to retake my test which i started but had to stop due to no more funds. My suggestion to you is to book onto a intensive driving coarse there are 3 to 14 day coarse's available just google them. If like me you have picked up a lot of bad habits it may take abit longer to get through it then you also have the theory test which wasn't around back then.

I know its technically probably breaking some law but when DVLA started to become unreliable, I reported my licence lost and got another one. I "found" the lost one and now keep it in a safe place. Its unlikely id loose both.