Taking responsibility for your own actions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First time I've seen this thread!

TUW is an absolute card, cheers for the entertainment mate

Do you do childrens parties?

Hellooooooooooo?

:D

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always interesting to see the other sides arguments, but only when they are intelligent, well researched issues and NOT the same old garbage -

"Most people have a free bank account, ie there is no monthly or annual fee to use the service, IF you abide by the terms and conditions."

- No such thing as a FREE bank account, myth put out by the banks to make them look good and ease the blow when they start charging for every cash withdrawal, cheque, etc - they earn large amounts of interest by loaning YOUR money that THEY have borrowed (whilst its sat in your account) and then pay you something around 0.2% credit interest

"But it seems that alot of you want the banks to pay YOU for borrowing money that isn't yours"

- DD is refused, money is never "borrowed" as the bank just says "no, we're not paying that bill as Joe Bloggs doesnt have the cash, so to print: "DD MORTGAGE £1000" and then "DD MORTGAGE £1000 RETURNED" on the statement paper within the same day, thats worth £20 - £40 is it?

If he/she truly believes that is correct, I have the deeds here for the golden gate bridge and I'll sell it to him/her for £5M (not a penny less, not a penny more)

:)

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Why are people still arguing against a 15 month old troll who came in once, posted and never came back? :-?

No idea why but he was right on one thing though which I think was his last sentence. He has never come back since December 2007 the same day he registered and posted. The repeats allow you to see things you missed first time round though :p

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yep,

like I said, I hadnt seen it before, just clocked on the "todays posts" link and up it came

Sorry, couldnt resist a go

Picture me in a group room with coffee and biscuits

Group leader: "NcF, would you like to share with the group"

(I nervously stand up)

NcF: "My name is NcF and, and........I've been a troll feeder for 8 years now............I keep trying to stop, but they just give such opportunity"

:p

LOL.

I actually feel sorry for those lot who think like that troll - just think of what kind of indoctrination/conditioning they must undergo and/or what kind of weak mind they must have to be so under the thumb of their employers. Scary stuff - like one of those cults!

As for "15 month old troll" - yeh that would be about the mental age of him/her - I realise you didn't mean it that way though! ;-)

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

I have had 98pounds of charges put onto my account.

This was due to my using a Halifax debit card to buy an item, this was cleared through their own online security.

What I cant understand is why on earth was the amount cleared to be taken when the money , apparently was not there.

If i had gone to the cash till i would have been refused, had i asked for cash back i would have been refused. So what is the difference in online shopping.

I never asked for an overdraft, didnt want an overdraft, never been overdrawn before. Was overdrawn by less than a fiver for less than 24 hours.

I have written the letters to the bank and am waiting to hear something from them.

But almost one hundred pounds for this is a tad like extortion

Hi Confused

That'll be one of those timing issues. Online card payments are processed in batches over a day or few, whereas cash machine transactions are done almost instantly (usually) with your bank. So they pre-authorised the payment but didn't actually take it until later.

It is just a side effect of the way transactions are processed. Since we customer's are not entirely privvy to knowing the timings and even when we do they are not always straightforward, the banks use that to their advantage.

"like extortion"? I'd say it is as they are delberately using the complication of their own system against us to ensure they get to take money from us that otherwise they would not be able to take. They expect us to play by the rules they invent which even they couldn't keep up with if it wasn't for their computers being in control of it.

FBR

One other thing that i forgot to mention was that the Halifax did not write or email me to say that the charges were due, when the would be take or for how much.

So the fiver took me 4.17 overdrawn, i immediately put i money to cover that.

They applied their fee of 35, which was taken from money in the account.

They have (today) applied a second fee of 28 which has taken me overdrawn again, i have put in enough to put me in the black and an extra 35 just in case.

So, i am guessing that they will charge me at least another 35 for being overdrawn to pay for their 28pound fee.

I really would have thought they should have written to me first before taking anything else out so that i could manage my accounts

Edited by confusedconsumer
missing info

Dont they have a responsibility to write though. I had come to the same conclusion myself - they have to be able to raise some money without trying too hard. However, i really thought they had no option but to write to say on what date and how much would be applied in fees to an account.

They often put it at the end of statements or if you bank online, you will often get a message through that system.

Do you have your own thread Confused? You should say what has happened to you in your own thread and ask for help there, otherwise it will just be lost in the general discussion on this thread - which was started by a troll to whinge about how banks are oh so nice and fluffy and lovely and that we consumers are bad people that really should be punished financially for daring to owe 2p to the bank that let the money go in the first place!

these are the "benefits" from my account

3 guesses what ive just been charged for!!!!!!

Day-to-Day

• Free day-to-day banking without subscription charges
  • No borrowing facilities mean that you can’t go overdrawn :mad:
  • Monthly statements with all your transactions and your balance – by post or online. Or pick up a mini-statement from our cash machines

Ways to bank

• Around 1650 branches make it easy to stay close to your finances
  • Online banking makes it easy to stay on top of your bank account, any time of day or night
  • Telephone banking with UK call centres, open for you 24 hours a day
  • Free mobile phone banking – until December 2008, then pay a monthly fee to get mini statements, weekly balances and more sent to your mobile. More on mobile phone banking

On a point of order "No borrowing facilities" does not mean you cannot take the account overdrawn. It means that they do not provide you with authorised facilities to go overdrawn.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

oh right just thought that "means that you can’t go overdrawn" ment i couldnt go overdrawn , kinda assumed it was black and white

If only they worked like that and did exactly what it says on the tin.

It occurs quite often that the charges levied make an account go overdrawn, which is why I've come to the conclusion that the banks should levy seperately for these 'service charges'.

The reason (s) they don't is they know if they give people a gliimer of choice they are extremely unlikely to pay up; also they know a fair % of people won't notice the charge going out.

Yes they should have notified you of the charge, I spoke to many a confused customer of Nationwide who asked why they had been sent a paper statement when they had opted for oneline statements.

Nationwide feels it has to send a paper copy if there are charges and interest, though I confess I'm unsure if this is thier choice or something required by the banking code.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.