Request for a 'buddy'

saraharrow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

686GJKEE4

Hi, I am new to this site and I am at the beginning of trying to sue the Abbey.

Over the last few years I have paid huge amounts in Bank Charges and in 2004, whilst on maternity leave the bank charges for bounced direct debits put me on the verge of bankruptcy, as I had insuffiecent funds to pay credit cards and the council tax etc.

This severely damaged my credit rating and it will be some time before I can repair it.

I am posting this as a request for a buddy, someone who will listen to me rant at the unfairness of the Abbey, and perhaps part with some wisdom about what happened to them at various stages in the process.

I hope this is acceptable to the moderators etc, as I dont want to cause any offence, and I am not very good at checking threads etc, I just havent got the habit.

I am just looking for someone to exchange emails with about the whole thing.

Upon completion of suing the Abbey I hope to make a post of my experiences, but I just dont want to do it as I go along, frightened I may get emotional at times! :(

It's not a problem at all - but do keep on posting here as well because we are all your buddy!!

Dave you've created a monster!! :wink:

I understand how it must be draining for you.

Sarah feel free to pm me if you want i'm still at the beggining stages too, just sent of my DPA letter this week.

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

Thanks Natasha for taking this on. Dave really has more than enough on his plate

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I have wondered about a buddy system.If the banks decide to challenge my claims and we go to court,I would really like someone to go with me.After that,I would be happy to attend with the next person etc.Then everyone would have an experienced buddy with them.

Thanks Natasha, will PM you when the kids are a bed this evening, god willing :lol:

Thats a great idea for a 'buddy' to attend court with people if needed, once I am experienced I would be happy to do that for someone.

Sarah

Hi there,

I too am knew to this and have just posted my DPA request off to Abbey today so it is great that I can come on here and know that some one else is exactly at the same stage and the support they are getting.

Its a bit daunting isn't it?

Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I am thoroughly daunted by the whole process. When I first started working out how much I paid and why, I was really angry. I thought long and hard about what to do and when I decided the only option left was to sue, I felt physically sick and couldnt sleep for days. :Cry:

I felt that I had gone through every channel possible with the Abbey from talking to supervisors who told me the charges were a penalty for my irresponsible spending (this was when I went overdrawn by 32 pence) to writing to the chief executive. The Abbey informed me the only option left was the ombudsman but their charges were fair and my claim unlikely to be upheld.

I hope that they decide to go to court and I want them to explain fully there reasons for charging the way they do because of the Abbey I was almost bankrupted and my credit rating is in tatters.

There is a tonne of advice on this site, and its great and the fact that other people in the same situation are willing to assist and advise is fantastic. :)

explain fully there reasons for charging the way they do

This will never happen. Forget it

Hi there,

I too am knew to this and have just posted my DPA request off to Abbey today so it is great that I can come on here and know that some one else is exactly at the same stage and the support they are getting.

Its a bit daunting isn't it?

Eileen

Eileen, Welcome - have started your own thread for your claim?

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

686GJKEE4

whilst on maternity leave the bank charges for bounced direct debits put me on the verge of bankruptcy

Me too! I have just been made redundant (and not paid either) I now have a new job, but the charges levied on my Abbey account have been nothing short of phenomenal.

I will be interested to see how you are getting on

56rJKtrE4 - oops forgot to put it at the top

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update you, whilst I look for my claim details to make a new claim posting....

I was told after a complaint in October that any further complaints from me about bank charges will just be held in my file as they are justifiable. So bearing this in mind I filed straight to the court to recover charges from 2003 to Feb this year, totalling 770 pounds.

They have until the 5th April to respond, so I will possibly hear from them on the 4th of April unless they have filed the court summons in my file as its relating to bank charges. which is unlikely.

Since they have recieved this I have been locked out of the E Banking service!

I have just read some interesting info on the other threads and will send a DPA letter today requesting telephone transcripts as I have been told by the Abbey on 2 separate occasions that the charges are in place to stop me going overdrawn that they are a deterrant.

I will send these transcipts in should I ever get them, so that they may possibly be used by others.

Sarah

Now THAT is a very cool idea.

Can I suggest that in user profile, people have the opportunity to put their postcode. That way, as people approach court time they can search their postcode, and PM local people with a request to come along and support them...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't think that's a good idea.

It wouldn't be very difficult for people to work out who you are - specifically the banks.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

What about if they put in thier local county court

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Yup - that would probably be better, as a single court is covered by many many postcodes.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

hiya

this is a great idea - i don't mind being a buddy and would be happy to help anyone where I can, just drop me a line,

I'm only at the initial stage but would be happy to help

Abbey claim: £972.00; Req for Refund letter sent 22.05.06

HSBC claim: sorted!

Citibank credit card claim: sorted!

Abbey/MBNA credit card: sorted!

Smile credit card: 2nd LBA sent 09.06.06

Capital One credit card: sorted!

Parachute deployed and everything moved ... GO GET 'EM !!

Hello

I've just started as well - Sending my DPA letter (special delivery) tomorrow.

I went through much the same - new baby etc, then hubby leaving and being told to be responsible - When the bank took most of my benefits away in charges!!!

PM me as well if you want:D

Data Protection Act letter posted to Abbey 03/04/06

Delivered on 06/04/06

Cheque to Abbey for DPA Cleared 10/04/06

40 days up on 16/05/06

2nd letter for statements sent 17/05/06

Letter to DPA sent and received 19/05/06

Court proceedings issued for £819 + Costs 06/06/06

Offer of £490 received and accepted 02/07/06

Statements 03/04 received 07/07/06

I don't think that's a good idea.

It wouldn't be very difficult for people to work out who you are - specifically the banks.

What about the first part of the postcode? I live in YO18 (a small town on the edge on the North Yorkshire moors) but so do 6000 other people.

I suppose the abbey won't have too many people in YO18 as their nearest branch is 17 miles away.

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

Sarah,

Welcome to the club! I sent Abbey a DPA request last week... Let's see how this one goes... I reckon they owe me about £1200-1500 over the years.

Pete J

Litigation –

Lloyds TSB – Won (x2)

Barclays – Won

Abbey – Won

Welcome Finance – Won

Capital One – Won

AS Securi-T (as an advisor) – Won (x2)

Barclaycard – Ongoing

Lloyds TSB Credit Card – Ongoing

Experian – Ongoing

Ebay - Ongoing

Barclays (DPA issues) - Ongoing

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks for your support!

Abbey have no filed there defense, and I have recieved my court allocation documents and an offer from the Abbey to settle for Half plus court costs.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I decline this? Do I email the lovely Mr Squires, without prejudice of course and decline? or do I Just leave it?

Will go back to the FAQS and check it out.

Sarah

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks