Result Of Complaining About A Sub Post Office

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I don't know, presently my life seems to one drama after another. I really would appreciate some advice here please about a complaint I made to the Post Office.

In the summer I bought Smart post from the Royal Mail web site, but when my other half took myparcels to the local PO he was told to go to the sorting office as he was assisting in the downfallof PO's! It cost him £5 in a taxi! I rang for advice and was told that the post master should have accepted the parcelsand that they would sort this out- in the meantime the postmaster now knew to accept them. I rang the postmaster and was treated to a spiel on trade unions and how he still wasn't accepting my parcels because I had the cheek tocomplain - I didn't really complain but I did want clarification as the info on the web site is ob viously conflicting with the info you get at certain PO's.

Two days later we lost our PO card and were told that the postmaster could give us a blank from the safe. Hubby went in at 5.05 pm and was told that the PO had put the timelock on the safe so tough you;ll have to come in tomorrow. In front of a load of customers. This time I did complain and he was told off about it. Hubby went in the next day and was told "because you have complained about me I'm not serving you today, and if you complain about that you will be banned. Hubby had to go to the nearest Main PO 7 miles away to get the card and our little bit of WTC - more money on the bus this time! Of course I complained, this is not on! He went the following week to draw our dosh and was preventd by the POstmaster who said "I told you not to complain and you did so now you are barred and if you want your benefits you can either go elsewhere or beg me". Hubby lost his temper this time and he shouldn't have done admittedly.

We made an official complaint to the area manager, apologising for hubby's loss of temper but fully explaining what had happened. This was in Sept and we had a letter to say an Area Manager would be investigating. Last week I came across the letter and realised we hadn't been told the outcome or interviewed. I rang to be told that both hubby and I were barred, without being spoken to to get our side of the story and without us even having been informed! They said to get onto Postwatch if we didn't agree with it, which i did and they stated because i wasn't complaining about lost post they couldn't help!

The point is that Ihave never been into the PO, I have spoken to postmaster once on the phone listening politely to his reasons for not accepting smartpost. I feel it is unfair then that I have been banned from a local facility - we accept hubby was very rude to him, with provocation but nevertheless still shouldn't have done it. If, whilst being in complete ignorance of the ban, hubby had gone into the PO apparently the postmaster had every right to ask him to leave or call the police, without him even knowing why as we hadn't been told. Also, I risk the same treatment although I have done no more than make a valid complaint through the correct channels! Of course the man hasnever met me so wouldn't recognise me, but might do from details on documents etc, depending what I was there for! It is also a slur on my character to which I apparently have no opportunity to correct or take action over.

Does anyone have any idea if there is anything I can do about this? If I were charged with a criminal offence for instance I have the right to know what I am accused of and the right to defend myself - here they won't even tell me why I am banned from my PO?! I am very annoyed about this as I am not rude to people, and I've never been in trouble with the law in my life!

Sorry for the length of this, but oooooh I am annoyed!

They said to get onto Postwatch if we didn't agree with it, which i did and they stated because i wasn't complaining about lost post they couldn't help!

Well, that's nonsense for starters:

http://www.postwatch.co.uk/images/stories/pdfs/complaints/June_2007_complaints_Code_of_Practice.pdf

And read this for Postwatch Complaints:

Postwatch - Complaints

I would write in a complaint, point by point, starting with the problem at local level, then the unacceptable response from area manager, and draw Postwatch's attention to their own complaints code of practice and state you are not happy on how you were given the brush-off.

Let us know how it pans out.

Just had another thought (2 in one morning, must be careful not to overstretch myself! :razz:)

Send a copy of your letter to your MP to let him know of the issue(s), and clearly mark CC (your MP) on your Postwatch complaint. It's amazing how it can sharpen some minds when they feel they may be held accountable. ;-)

Well, with the current reviews taking place, your Sub-Postmaster will probably be the first to lose his franchise. Unfortunately at the moment there isn't anyone offering a similar service. I am quite a large SmartStamp user, and before this had our own franking machine.Since the days of crediting-by-phone arrived, our local PO never directly received the cash, so it was the same deal with Smartstamp - but that attitude is unforgivable.

As Bookie says, Postwatch HAVE to deal with your complaint (nut I wouldn't hold your breath). IF you can deal with your Sorting Office directly - and they are prepared to, then this is the best way forward (and no queues!).

AFAIK, if the Post Office is a privatley run, sub post office, there is probably not a lot the OP can do to ge tthe ban overturned.

However, if applicable they could perhaps play the "discrimination card" (i.e disabled, from an ethnic minority, female, etc) that would possibly help!

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Since the days of crediting-by-phone arrived, our local PO never directly received the cash

Sort of - the Sub Post Office actually receives an annual fee to cover transactions such as this for which they don't directly get revenue from the customer, so in a roundabout way they do actually get paid for handling SmartStamp and metered items.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

barracad is of course correct. I believe the amounts were calculated in the mid 80's, so to be fair, the spm is probably being paid more than he should given that mail volumes have dropped somewhat over the last few years...

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

Swings and roundabouts. More people use SmartStamp now, so the Sub PO will lose out on comission from potential stamp sales.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

tHANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES, I will do as suggested and will keep you all updated. The thing I love about this site - whatever theproblem, someone here can help - I tell my clients from work to join the site and many of them have and found it invaluable! And, yes, if they manage to get a refund for anything I tell them to make a contribution! Thanks again peeps.

More people use SmartStamp now

Doesn't surprise me, it's such a good product! ;-)

--