In defence of bank staff...

indebtstudent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do they really say "you have broken your contract".:eek: If so try & get a recording or better still to put it in writing:-D cos that's not their defence & if it was it wouldn't be valid;-) It's certainly not what they are alleging in their submissions to the OFT.- Their charges are a 'service' - not a penalty

thats what they said on the phone to me, I said It was against the law to have penalty charges he said 'where in the law does it state that' and he just kept asking me to state the law! At which point I got annoyed and spent 10 mins arguing the law and getting nowhere:x

In my experience branch staff know sod all about the issues invovled and anything they said could be put down to ignorance. I'm not saying it is good I'm just saying what I see

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

I suggest that you speak to them again but not without the ability to record their comments & should they accuse you of breaching your contract you can use that against them as this is not their argument in their fight with the OFT.

Also I strongly recommend that should you again argue "it's against the law" you should have some knowledge of which laws. Anyway the law in this case is Common Law.

Before you go any further I suggest you do a little research on this site where all is explained

Statute Law, Unfair Contracts etc:, is being argued with the OFT so leave that argument alone for the present

With respect the call centre staff can vary wildly in quality. I would be interested to know how useful such statements would be? Obviously organisations should ensure that staff ahve an understanding of the law but the actual issue would be thrashed out by thier solicitors.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Interesting I didn't know that. Could be very useful considering the poor understanding many staff have about the issues around bank charges.

If a member of staff, or an agent, in the course of their employers or clients business makes a statement or commits an act in that employment, connected with that employment, their employer is liable in law.

I've added a bit in red just there is no misunderstanding.:)

The act or statement by them must be in connection with their job;) such as saying "you have broken your contract so you must pay" etc:D

Oh no worries, that is the impression I got anyway. Where I was coming from is that the training read charges is poor (re non-existant). I have pointing out several errors made by colleagues. I realize it is not much of a excuse for a company to say "sorry that staff member doesn't have a clue" but I've no doubt they would try it! lol

Nationwide is a VERY peculiar case because their T & C's HAVE NOT CHANGED, and yet the defence to the OFT case is that the charges are a fee for service? I would LOVE IT if the banks crashed an burned on this one. Then there would be absolutely nobody to blame but thier (greedy) selves. Sorry for butchering the english language with that last sentence, but you get the picture.

• 4 weeks later...

LOOK AT THIS IDS THEN COMMENT FAIRLY ....Maxed Out

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

I get it too,I drive a bus and you get all sorts of people who

a) don`t look at what route you`re on and where you`re going, and then ask you (true, in the case of the elderly they might have poor sight, but some are just plain lazy)

b) have a go at you when they`ve just called the company and been told that nothing can move due to gridlock. Apparently I personally invited all those people into town just to spite the passengers...

C) Don`t know how much the fare is when it`s in big letters on the driver`s cab door

Basically same problems (within reason) different aspect of the service industry so I know exactly how you feel

Guest louis wu
Yes Mr Kipling but like many in the 'service' industry you think that the customers don't have life or other things that might distract them & should be waiting for your bus with bated breath

Sweeping statements about this user.....shame on you Joncris.

I don't drive a bus, but do think it's the users responsibility to know what bus to get on, and if unsure (or require help due to mental health/physical health problems), then ask the driver.

• 3 months later...
I despise the door step loan sharks that charge exceedingly high interest but, again, what has happened to people that makes them go ok then?

Do not underestimate the lengths people will go to when their account is empty (because up to and over 200 quids worth of charges have come out) and their family needs feeding. The "legal loan sharks" offer credit to anyone that satisfies the simple act of being alive.