'Trace confirmation' letter from SRJ Debt Recoveries

beest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I've received a letter from SRJ Debt Recoveries saying that I owe one of their clients nearly £250. The letter has 'Trace Confirmation' written at the top, and all the usual threats about court action.

What do you advise as the next step? CCA them?

Thanks for your help! I've spent the last 30 minutes reading through these forums and they really are excellent.

Beest.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the name Box Clever on the forum before... to do with TV rentals, I think. There is also an online store selling PC equipment and the like. Does any of this sound familiar ?

Does the letter go into any detail about how much is owed and for what ?

I have a vague memory about renting a washing machine once, probably back in 2000 or 2001, so perhaps that's it.

There's absolutely no detail about the debt in the letter at all, only the client name and the amount.

In that case, just file it away for now. If the debt occurred that long ago, it would be statute-barred for now, or very close to it. See if they contact you again (in writing) and if/when they do, come back on here for advice.

In the meantime, if they try and reach you by 'phone, just hang up. Speaking over the 'phone doesn't count as a re-acknowledgement of a debt... it's just their way of telling people a load of bowlarks to get them to pay. Chances are, they won't have your 'phone number anyway though....

FYI... a debt becomes statute-barred if a period of 6 years has gone by from the last written contact between parties.... or from the last payment made on the account.

If the account is re-acknowledged in writing within this timeframe, the 6 year clock starts again from the date of that new letter/payment..... but if an account is already statute-barred, then it remains statute-barred forever. Most Debt Collection Agencies live in hope that we don't realise this, of course...

:)

Boxclever was the name given to former Radio Rentals. I don't think Boxclever exists now? All the Radio Rentals shops became Boxclever, then they shut.

Anyhow, P1's said all you need. :)

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I've trawled through my bank statements, and I think the last payment I made to them was March 2002, so still within the 6 year timeframe. Does this change anything?

It means that the account is not statute-barred for another 4-5 months. Under the circumstances, I would do nothing and sit tight. ;)

Chances are that they have no info. on when the last written contact/payment was made to Box Clever anyway....

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dredge up this old thread. I've received 3 or 4 letters since I started this thread, all with the same generic threats. However the last one said they would initiate court action if I didn't respond by the 18th.

I imagine it's all bluster; they've still not supplied any information what this debt it and I've not responded to them at all.

What do you think? Sit tight still or write to them?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

All -

I have been away on holiday and returned yesterday to find a letter from S.R.J. Debt Recoveries dated 30/07 which states the following;

Dear **

You have failed to respond to previous correspondence sent to you and we have therefore made tracing enquiries for confirmation of your current place of residence. Information has been received confirming that your address details have changed to this address.

Please contact us immediately on 08453137203 quoting the above reference number.

Yours sincerely

SRJ Debt Recoveries

It also has the words 'TRACE CONFIRMATION' at the top of the the letter.

I have no idea what this letter is for - What does 'Trace confirmation' mean and what can this company do? Are they able to turn up at my address?!!

Please help - Not sure how to proceed

Thanks

All -

I have been away on holiday and returned yesterday to find a letter from S.R.J. Debt Recoveries dated 30/07 which states the following;

Dear **

You have failed to respond to previous correspondence sent to you and we have therefore made tracing enquiries for confirmation of your current place of residence. Information has been received confirming that your address details have changed to this address.

Please contact us immediately on 08453137203 quoting the above reference number.

Yours sincerely

SRJ Debt Recoveries

It also has the words 'TRACE CONFIRMATION' at the top of the the letter.

I have no idea what this letter is for - What does 'Trace confirmation' mean and what can this company do? Are they able to turn up at my address?!!

Please help - Not sure how to proceed

Thanks

Its simply their silly attempt to prove that they can read a map or the phone directory :rolleyes:

No-one from these fools will turn up, they can simply be told to go away.

Ignore

The twats love to send letters making thyemselves sound important. Trace Confirmation is a meaningless statement but they think they are like MI5 when they use such terms.

You could ignore them or send them the following

ASSHOLE CONFIRMATION

Dear idiots

Thank you for your recent communication. Thank you for confirming what I suspected. You are in fact ASSHOLES.

yours etc

Box Clever accounts are often passed to the likes of First Credit, Mackenzie Hall, Meritforce and others. Any original paperwork will have long vanished into the ether. I have never known any of these three companies to have ever turned up paperwork.

SRJ's letter is no more than a barefaced lie; they do not confirm anything, they simply send their template letter to the address passed to them by the OC. It is, therefore, a misleading communication and a breach of OFT Guidance.

If anyone from SRJ is looking in and would care to challenge my assertion, I am able to prove it - and indeed will be doing so soon as part of a formal complaint.