The secret millionaire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After watching this programme last night and seeing all the people either in need of help or contributing long term to their community I have one big question

I am sure someone will answer me!

WHAT HAPPENS TO LOTTERY FUNDS????

Why was the boys club and drop in centre not getting funds?

Careful how you answer:rolleyes:

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

The opera is far more important, as is the 2012 Olympic Games.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Yes, because the government has stoped the funding and is now taking lottery money (sorry, but I refuse to play as i believe it to be a tax on the stupid) away from good causes and using to fund those things it used to pay for.

It does the same with "charities" which used to be the responsibility of the DSS.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Exactly my thoughts exactly - Out of interest does anyone know of a really deserving community group that has recieved funds?

Why not have different tickets for types of causes then we could chose.

For example

hospices

Or local clubs for teenagers etc?

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I have to say, I live minutes away from Seedley and Langworthy (where the secret millionaire based himself) and I was pretty disgusted at how it was portrayed last night. :mad:

Whilst I'll never be an advocate of the local council, I can categorically state that we don't have a homeless problem. We do have a high number of people with mental health problems, but homeless????............. no!!!!

Salford Lad's Club, whilst being an incredibly fantastic community facility, is a pretty ramshackle building used by less than 2% of young people in the City of Salford - hence the reason why it probably doesn't tick an awful lot of boxes when it comes to funding regimes. Therefore, it's the management committee of the lad's club that needs to attract people on a voluntary/professional basis to develop and implement a full fundraising strategy on it's behalf. Will they let people in to do this? Hell no - they won't!!! They're also not based in the area of Seedley and Langworthy either - so that was completely misrepresented last night.

Loaves and fishes.............. deals with the overspill of Manchester's major homeslessness problem as opposed to Salfords. I feel the need to get that one straight rightaway. Salford doesn't have a homelessness problem like Manchester - it has homes aplenty compared to it's bigger neighbour. So yet another misrepresentation.

The only people I have major empathy with from last night's programme are those that are battling to save their homes from being demolised to make way for a.................... wait for it................ primary school that's already in existence but the council want to replace with a new one! :rolleyes: They were real people, decent people (people that I know) who have the right to a decent standard of living regardless of Salford Council's bigger agenda of 'regeneration regardless of people' paper.

Anyway, that's my 2p!

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Thats very interesting

Its obvious that the people they meet are "set up" -although in most cases they probably dont know why . Some people seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the help - whereas in the club - they did not seem shocked.

To be honest in most big towns you will always find problems if you look hard enough - but I think you are right these groups need to be proactive in raising funds and then maybe they do get help eventually - its just that I have never seen a local group supported by the lottery.

I must admit I was impressed by the family ,who while surrounded by boarded up houses, kept their house so wel maintained. It would have been so easy to let things go - while living in limbo.

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Exactly my thoughts exactly - Out of interest does anyone know of a really deserving community group that has recieved funds?

Jan

I think I do. My father was involved in a project - and I'm pretty sure some of the money came from lottery funding.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

there is one thing that gets me with all these kind of programmes.

take children in need for eg...

i would willingly ( and have done) donate to a cause for good reason, but the programme does adverts about 'come on viewers, give generously. take your spare change to a local bank'.

if every celebrity and footballer etc donated just a few hundred quid each ( which lets face it, they could make back in interest or write off to tax) they would quadruple anything that C.I.N has ever totalled. BUT, do you see that happen. i know that some celebrities give up their time and cash for good causes but there are thousands more that dont.

as for the lottery money, i heard once that the government was going to plough a certain percentage of that into hospitals and schools, but did it ever come off. i haven't heard anything about it since.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Bazak, a member of the RCN tried this - there was even a television program about it, with Premiership footballers donating a days wages.

All very good PR, but six months down the line, half of them have yet to donate what they promised.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

thats exactly what i mean. Dont get me wrong, i'm not knocking any celeb in particular, but if you look at a 'normal' workers wages to these celebs, theres a hell of a difference. some of them earn more in a month or two than i will if i carry on working until i'm 65. Surely it wouldnt hurt them to donate a little. Better still, if childrens homes etc were government funded, there wouldnt be a need for them to go cap in hand.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Out of interest does anyone know of a really deserving community group that has recieved funds?

Yes a charity for a certain area received enough money to fund a charity to provide an addiction counsellor for 2 years, and a drop in centre for 2 years.

Another charity received funding for a 1/2 time admin worker, and funding for training same worker to become a counsellor for people addicted to prescription drugs.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

I have to say, I live minutes away from Seedley and Langworthy (where the secret millionaire based himself) and I was pretty disgusted at how it was portrayed last night. :mad:

Whilst I'll never be an advocate of the local council, I can categorically state that we don't have a homeless problem. We do have a high number of people with mental health problems, but homeless????............. no!!!!

Sorry hedgey06...Will have to fundamentally disagree with U on this one!!!

A relative of mine was recently forced to have to go + live in Sheffield, cos that was the nearest + shortest Council House/Flat list.

Daddie MTM was also forced out of his Council Flat in Lr Broughton a few years ago cos Salford City Council wanted to turn his block into accommodation for Students.

Ironically, he also used to work at 'Salford Quays'....before they got Yuppyfied...and when there used to be REAL docks there + REAL jobs!

Ask anyone who lives in Council Housing in Ordsall or Pendleton what they think of Salford City Council housing policy.

I remember travelling to school on the bus via Cross Lane + Weaste.

Hundreds of back-to-back houses, with their close tightknit communities.

What did Salford City Council do??

Demolish them + create sink-estates in their place!

Admittedly, the A57 Corridor, both in Salford + Manchester has suffered from bad Social Housing planning in the past.

But the population of Central Salford suffered a decline when the inhabitants were shipped out en mass to places in the suburbs like Peel Green after WW2...or else made to live in anti-community blocks of flats in Pendleton.

With the sale of the better Council Housing stock, those that are left are forced to face life with no-hope of escape from areas where they can visibly see the social fabric crumbling around them.

Yes, it's great when Private Developers promise the Council the world when they buy up land on the cheap, in inner city brown field sites, in exchange for chucking up just a few Social Housing buildings if the Council allows them planning permission for building more profitable private dwellings + superficial retail outlets.

U only have to look at the neighbouring monstrosity what is 'The Trafford Centre'.

It was built in totally the wrong place for the public transport user + the extra car journeys it generates, daily overwhelms the surrounding road infrastructure to the detriment of everyone in its locale, not to mention sucking the life out of High Streets in the surrounding greater area.

Yet in Salford City Council's defence, what are they to do??

Do they reject a Developer's plans for urban re-generation on the Developers terms + run the risk that the land is left fallow + already declining areas slide even further into historical oblivion, as the 'Centre of the Commercial Universe' moves ever more faster towards the South East/Europe??

Methinks that the greatest culprit in this geographical rape of inner city Councils ability to effect the betterment of its citizens, was Central Government, with its policy of withholding the proceeds of Council Housing sales.

This political emasculation severely prevented Local Councils ability to replace like for like with new Council Housing builds for the people, by the people etc etc.

>

P.S. I don't buy Lottery Tickets out of principle.

...I just predict the winning nos...lol...:D

>

Oh no! :o You're my dad!!!! :eek:

Lol............ where's me winning lotto numbers for this week?! :D

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

crikey milktrayman - and you called me bolshey the other day:D

Actually I think that is what is good about the programme - it certainly starts debates - and for once made my children appreciate their environment for once.:rolleyes:

I always take newspaper reports and progrmmes like this with a pinch of salt - however if it does make a few more people think about the circumstances of others it can not be a bad thing.

what if there was a proper campaign to make different lottery games where the funds went to specific areas of needs?

I am not sure about NHS in general as I feel that would be a bit dangerous as the money may be relied on then disappear - and to be honest we wll pay for that already.

but what about ( as I said before ) one for hospices

one for projects for young people ( such as car mechanics and safe trck racing)

one for drug rehabilitation centres.

etc etc

then we could all choose which one to buy?

I know there are versions of this - but not well advertised.

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

The thing with this would be the less popualr causes eg, the drug rehab would not get bought, and then the would be the enevitable Victor Meldrews, 'I paid for your education from my own pocket' brigade.

Don't know the answer though

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

what if there was a proper campaign to make different lottery games where the funds went to specific areas of needs?

I can't see this happening - the national lottery was established (IMVHO) incorrectly from day one.

Try Play Monday - it's the online lotto where you choose where your charitable donation goes to. I play it every week - only a quid, but at least I get to choose which charity benefits from my cash. ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

Who does:)

but as I said the programme certainly posed a few questions for me .

To be honest I dont but lottery tickets regularly because I was unhappy with how the money was being spent.

So if we were all happier that funds were used in an appropriate way there may be more people buying them?

That I think applies to most things - if I felt NHS funds were spent correctly - Personally I would not object to paying more.But if you see monies being wasted it immediately changes your view,

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I can't see this happening - the national lottery was established (IMVHO) incorrectly from day one.

Try Play Monday - it's the online lotto where you choose where your charitable donation goes to. I play it every week - only a quid, but at least I get to choose which charity benefits from my cash. ;)

There you go

thanks you learn something new every day!

thanks

Jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

...Try Play Monday - it's the online lotto where you choose where your charitable donation goes to. I play it every week - only a quid, but at least I get to choose which charity benefits from my cash. ;)
I pay zillions of pounds a week in taxes.

...I get to choose every 4 or 5 years who chooses the Charities which benefit from my cash.

I am still waiting for my first win!...:(

I pay zillions of pounds a week in taxes.

:eek: You're loaded then! :eek:

Gizza job mate! ;)

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

MTM is coming to London next week to have a few beers and find the smoking area with me;)

Ahhhhhh............ fellow smokers - not often I find any these days!!! :D

Have told U before that it is against Website Rules to state my 0898 Tel. no. U were given a chance once + U blew it by being off-line. ...I can make NO exceptions!...soz + all that...:p

Gawwwwwwwwwwwd............... what a spoilsport!!!! :p

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***