A Morbid Tale of Debt

fairbank
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys

Hey ho, am going away to a music festival this weekend courtesy of the Kids as a christmas present. Three solid days of music.

So I will have a few days away and try not to worry. One creditor this morning agreed to a very affordable short term payment plan. So I have three going now which I can control for the short term.

I just want a fantastic February, when I get a good job, collect on money coming my way and start to feel less on edge...then I will be a happy poster.

As for my long term thoughts at the moment I am in a predicament. I don't want a huge mortgage and have no equity anyway so selling up seems attractive. I am also one of those lucky people who will have a whopping £22k pension in 5 years. The problem is we all put blood sweat and tears into building a home and the attraction of renting apart from financial is not attractive...........lots more to think about!!!

The corner has become much easier to approach. At long last I am able to start to look behind and see those left behind!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it all in your stride, Fairbank.

In the meantime - enjoy that music festival. We all need time to switch off.

Have fun :D

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Ever the optimist!

Signed on this morning and they have stopped my dole!

Reconsidering my situation will take a week or so

Great start to the weekend!!

The corner has become much easier to approach. At long last I am able to start to look behind and see those left behind!

WTF

did they say why?

You are entitled to the money up until your last payment so they cant stop it just yet.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Oh goodness! I hope that as i type you are winging your way to a weekend of musical bliss.

I hope they are going to pay you and haven't just stopped it without notice.

The system stinks!

Apparently my case has gone to appeal because I voluntarily gave up work in September although they had the completed questions in time.

They now say that I am trying to claim a different type of claim, income based as opposed to contributions based. I haven't the foggiest idea what the difference is.

I feel that I am being penalised as a middle class white having worked all my life, never claimed a penny off the state and yet they argue about a measly £50 a week.

The main office has aksed for certain additional information which hasn't been passed to the local office. They say I haven't completed the right forms, but I have completed those that they have asked me to. They have suspended all ayments until the 2nd March 08, which is abut £300.

In fact they are doing my head in. I feel just like I did in the first ever post in this thread. The pressure is mounting on whether I keep this house now, I have a job interview on Thursday (and I certainly feel the extra pressure associated with having to be successful now). Zero cash until Thursday and to top it all the bureaucrats, sorry faceless bureacrats, sit behind their desks without any realisation of the predicaments that their customers, yes CUSTOMERS, are in. Friendly little men and women just going through the motions and off to tea at five.

If I get no answer today, which is satisfactory, I will be absolutely fuming.

Sheer frustration from incompetent people. I would estimate that on average I have paid £100,000 in income tax in my working life and they are arguing about a paltry £50 per week. It's not as though I haven't never made any contribution to the system (I won't go any further than that but I want to), I am actively seeking work, and have never ever had anything off out wonderful state but have kept many others in beer money!

They called back quickly.

Can't do anything until the appeal has taken place. They put me on the wrong benefit should be contributions based and not income based. I now have to withdraw the income based claim that I have apparently claimed!

Likely that I will get naff all until early March, but they will advise me.

It seems that the systems are in place to stop people making false claims off the state. I can live with that but I am sure that thereare many thousands who calim off the state and never pay a penny into our system, but the likes of me and others suffer because of it.

Fuming is an understatement at the moment, I feel like going into the Job Centre and telling them to stuff it.

So much for the benefit system that we are proud to be part of. Help others but not always your own. It stinks

Hi fairbank

Sorry to hear about your latest obstacle.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that even if you were to be disqualified from receiving full JSA for some reason (such as leaving or refusing a job?), then there is some other (means-tested) benefit which you are entitled to (or possibly JSA at a reduced rate?). As I say, I'm not sure of the exact possibilities, but I'm sure some benefit is available to you. You could make enquiries to the benefits helpline (sorry I don't know the number), or perhaps someone else will be more knowledgeable regarding this, and will be able to advise further.

Also I don't remember the exact circumstances of you leaving your job (was it increased pressure due to extra work - I can't remember), but you may be able to claim "Constructive Dismissal" at an employment tribunal, although I'm not sure of the time limit for putting in a claim for this.

Rob

Hi Fairbank,

This is awful to read. Is there nothing you can claim in the interim until the hearing/decision in March.

If they had all the info which you gave, it's mad that they start to pay you and then decide not to.

I hope there's SOME help for you, whether it's income based, contributions based, or "There's so many following your thread and rooting for you" based.

All the best, Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

The situation arises thus;

I left employment at the end of September 2007. I resigned. I left because after six months of a double family illness, daughter and mother in law (both serious), I was leaving home at 7 in the morning and not getting back from hospital until after nine each night. This was virtually everyday for six months. Basically, my health was suffering. Not eating starting to drink heavily etc. By August I was not well, so I had to gie up the job. I hoped to do some consultancy work but the promises never really materialised. Old employers were pretty good about the situation but relieved I had left. (Last day, and boss of the company, no director said good bye, no conatct since, single card from some of the staff!)

Didn't sign on until late November after exhausting all options, now receive tax credit and my wife earns about £7k per year. Family illness still there but not as bad now and in control. No hospital visits anymore.

Told benefits people all about this and they said I may have to answer some questions. Fair enough. Got the questions a few days before Xmas sent them back completed just after new year. Got money in early January, and nothing else since

Benefits processing dept don't speak to advisors and vice versa. Sure I have a little money to get by on (my dad is lending me some this afternoon) but the principle is also at stake here.

Can't do anything on the employment law side (I have lots of experience in this), time lapse is three months anyway.

I was a high flyer, managing director only a few months ago, over committed I know, but the system can drag you down very quickly.

I think that you can be prone to over reacting when you have a lot of time on your hands but conversely the systems in place need to be able to recognise what is and what is not a genuine claim.

I am sure that this may be also resolved in a few days but experience tells me not to rely on anybody at the moment.

I sink deeper into despair at the moment. A job and large tax rebate will get me out of it overnight but at the moment the noose seems to tighten daily..........but there is still optimism!

I don't know what to say fairbank. I just wish there was some way I could help you financially until you get this sorted out.

The system stinks - it's supposed to be a safety net and instead acts as a system based on arbitary decisions made by bureaucrats who learn by rote, always referring to reasons why you're not 'eligible'.

I just hope that you can get some help.

This may sound daft but I would get a letter / email off ASAP to your MP marked urgent and go and see him/her this friday in their constituency office - it's there job. It's amazing what influence they can bring to bear once they know the full case.

I had problems with the Inland Revenue a few years ago - they asked me to pay a tax bill when I was on PAYE - getting my MP involved had it sorted within days.

Otherwise just keep your chin up fairbank we are all thinking of you in your difficulties.

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

Oh Fairbank, i can really feel your frustration. I think Harvest's suggestion about visiting your MP is a good one.

I'm glad you have said you still have some optimism. Please hang on to that and don't give up. I know how hard it is to keep clinging on at times though as i'm sure many of the others do.

I hope and pray you are successful in your job interview so you can put this difficult time and indeed the system behind you.

Thanks for the kind comments folks

The sun is shining where I live today and I am busy swotting up for my interview tomorrow. I can't do anything about the JSA decision so have to decided to try and blank it for today and get on with what is more important

Frustration is even more frustrating (!) when you have time on your hands, so I need to concentrate the mind.

Watch out for my post if I get the job, I will certainly have the "two fingers" pointing towards the state then!

Hi FB,

It's a fabulous day here in Kent too.

Stay focused (as you say) and Best Wishes for the interview tomorrow.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I WON THE BATTLE AGAINST THE SYSTEM!

In a fit of complete triumph I marched into the Job Centre, demanded to see the manager, threatened to take my case higher if I could not get a satsifactory answer as to their actions

Ten minutes later, appeal upheld. I will get my money next week!

Kind manager also helped me work out how much tax I will get back if I am successful at the interview tomorrow afternoon - £636.00 which will be paid within about 7 days after signing off!

RESULT!

Hi FB,

Couldn't be more delighted for you and will keep bits crossed for tomorrow.:D

Slick

In a fit of complete triumph I marched into the Job Centre, demanded to see the manager, threatened to take my case higher if I could not get a satsifactory answer as to their actions

Kind manager also helped me work out how much tax I will get back if I am successful at the interview tomorrow afternoon - £636.00 which will be paid within about 7 days after signing off!

RESULT!

Go Fairbank!!! Oh blinking marvellous! I am really pleased for you and hope and pray tomorrow tops off your joy. It's amazing how rules / procedures can change when challenged :rolleyes::D

Well done fairbank - I really hope the tax repyament comes through for you tomorrow/today and that you get the money asap.

Just goes to show that the system is totally ****** up and that when challenged to look at the facts the bureaucrats come to their senses. Good for you mate in challenging them - must have taken a lot of courage to march in there like that.

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

RESULT!

Your Hired.

I have a few ppl i am trying to help with the benefits system.

you tactic may help them to are you busy atm.

Any way well done they dont like being stood up to or being wrong.

Chrissi

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Godmother

Not busy at the moment but am out this afternoon

Will help in anyway that I can

oh ok.

may call on you if l need some of your insperation and energy.