Problems with SLC! are you suprised? Can you help Please!!!!!!!

Marsky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all!! Nice to be here.:)

Where to start?

My Loans were taken out in 96 and 97

Well years ago SLC did not receive my deferment documents, (even though they were sent off at the same time as my wife’s deferment documents and they received those).:?

Since then they have been harassing me for repayment even though I don’t, and never have earned over the threshold and told them so by phone.(waste of time).:evil:

So I naively started paying back the small amounts I could afford.

SLC then cancelled direct debit payments from my account, then stated I had refused to pay them :???: and charged me for the privilege of doing so. (nice) This has happened several times.

Several companies have tried harassing me for this money and charges have gone on to the account (which if stayed at the original figure they asked to be paid would be paid off by now!).

They also contacted other members of my family to ask for money!:evil:

So at that point looked on the net for help and came across yourselves (thank god I’m not insane there are others out there).:p

I’ve been reading some other threads and thought I try to end this battle with SLC as its been going on over Seven years now I had enough stress, bullying, and abuse from them now.

So at this point in time I have sent off the a letter (twice) asking for a copy my original credit agreements’,( is that the consumer credit act request ?) and a “statement of account” request and payment for both. Sent registered post ( they had to sign for them.

(and sent copies to myself the second time so I knew they had not been lost in the post, and the date is stamped on the out side and they are still sealed!)

I received back a copy of one of my signed agreements and a copy another persons signed agreement( hers is unsigned by SLC?) (which also has her bank details on I might add!)

I also received as the contents page reads:

• SET OF STATEMENTS COVERING ALL TRANSACTIONS ON YOUR ACCOUNT -----(No such thing enclosed?)

• CUSTOMER LEDGER AND ACCOUNT SERVICING SYSTEM

- MAINTAIN PERSONAL DETAILS

- FINNCIAL INSTITITION ACCOUNT DETAILS

- NOTES

• TALLYMAN-COLLECTIONS SYSTEM CUSTOMER DETAILS AND NOTES

I’ve just received another letter from another company linked to SLC – Cap Quest (there have been several, Able Debt Recovery, HL Legal Solicitors, are the most recent ones).

What do I do next?

• Should I contact the other person whose details and copy of agreement I have? Or ??????
  • What do I do now they have sent me half of the documents I asked for? (I still cant ask for charges back as I don’t know the full extent?)
  • Do I ask again for the omitted info Statements they say they have sent?

Please help I’m at a dead end now

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Lord, you have someone elses details, contact the information commisioner he'll get onto them for sending you the wrong documents, for all you know this lady has one of her own letters plus one with your bank details too.

• Haha 1

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

I'm no expert but learning from others like you...

If you have received another persons credit agreement in error on part of SLC including their personal data then yes you should contact the Information Commissioner and make it known , I am sure SLC will just tell you to send it back but that is a grave administitive error amoungst the others documented amoungst peoples threads.

The copy of your original agreement is the Consumer Credit Act (sections 77-79) request if they are unable to provide it the debt is probably unenforceable, and I beleive that if it is not counter signed by SLC, or executed, it may also be unenforceable.

The Subject Access Request (S.A.R) is to retrieve all personal data held by SLC on yourself.

These are the best two starting points for complaint so you have all the information; which it appears you have done, though be aware that the S.A.R. should contain notes added to your account if you requested them, as stated in the templates for such letters to be found on this forum.

I read that someone here had gone to the CAB and asked to see a legal advisor, yes the queues are long these days but it may be a free way for you to get an official budget drawn up which short of taking you to court which we suspect they are unwilling to do for non-priority debts they will have to take seriously and agree to payments as defined by such a budget; if you are on a low income it may well be worth pre-emptively going and getting such drawn up with the CAB's legal advisor.

I have also recently read an advisory paper from the NUS which states that even if you are considered in arrears, you may still be able to get deferments re-instated but the paper is out of date by a few years though I can't see that that could have changed entirely... the link is in my case thread probably worth reading but again they will probably want a budget legally drawn up to force their hand on that?

Like I say I am not an expert so please check before acting on a ny suggestions.

HTH

• Haha 1

They told me to contact this person let her know the situation and also send SLC a letter of complaint asking why i have this information sent to me, and what are they going to do about it.

And to also ask where my missing information is.

As this is a breach of the data protection act.

Give them 10 - 14 days to respond.

If I am not satisfied with response or have no response to fill in a complaint on their site www.ico.gov.uk look for "data protection complaint form" fill it in and send off a copy of original letter sent to them and their response if any.

Watch this space for that one! What next??

good one marsky, let us know how you get on.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Yes I'm in a similar situation, I sent a CCA request for three loans and only recieved one back. The student loan company tell me that the loan is now amalgamated into one loan, odd since the loan agreement they sent me is signed and makes no mention of the other two amounts or account numbers. The trouble is what does one do, if you make a complaint then your admiting you have those other loans.

Anything I should Change or Delete from this letter any help Please!!

Ref :96???????????? / 97????????????

To whom it may concern:

I am writing in connection with the last information which you have sent me. The information I have paid for was incomplete and flawed.

1. (MISSING) SET OF STATEMENTS COVERING ALL TRANSATIONS ON YOUR ACCOUNT

Also was missing was the loan agreement for loan no 97?????????? as you have not supplied me with this information within the specified time limit I regard the debt to be null and void.

Also included in this documentation was a copy of the credit agreement for a Ms Name Change 97???????????, I did not request this persons information and have sent them a letter to let them know what has happened. No doubt you are aware of the Data Protection Act and I believe this action to breach the act.

I also wonder where you have sent my information and who has access to it?

I am holding on to the document as evidence at the moment until I am advised otherwise. Please be aware that I will not use this in anyway unlawfully, as this document has all this persons details on bank account, address, student loan number and signature.

Please reply in writing what action is to be taken in this matter, and you have 10 working days to reply to this letter.

Regards,

Marsky

Hi LyncusBee vbmenu_register("postmenu_1219325", true); I am following your thread aswell ..... I think you are ahead of me a bit.

If they cany supply me with the relevant info what action do i take next? Complaints are ok but i want this company to stop the harrasing behaviour, just been on the phone Cap Quest and they are treating me like **** for having a Student Loan.

I would edit this bit:

Also was missing was the loan agreement for loan no 97?????????? as you have not supplied me with this information within the specified time limit I regard the debt to be null and void.

and write: also missing was the loan agreement for loan 97XXXXXXX. As you have yet to supply me with this information the debt is unenforcable under Consumer Credit Act (sorry can't remember the year but you'll find it everywhere on this site).

They can't just amalgamate loans and if they did it would mean you'd just have one really big loan so no harm can come from demanding the other agreements. After all in order to know you had multiple loans to amalgamate they'd have to have had 3 CCA agreements in the first place.

Hi Yes just found the statement says ive got £210 of charges on the account. ( and yes sorry ive taken that bit out of the letter not that they would know any different but i do have scrooples unlike SLC)

You need to read the FAQs for reclaiming before going in guns blazing.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html

Also- have a read of my own adventures with our friends in Bothwell Street...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/78206-noomill-student-loan-company.html

non compliance letters:

Probably better than a long rambling letter of you own. Keep it short,sharp and to the point.

(Like a Roman sword! Makes it easier to disembowel your opponent at close quarter!)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6986-data-protection-act-non.html

Dont try and run before you can walk.

This isnt going to happen over night- you need to follow the proceedure as laid out in the FAQs like I did.

First thing to do is to send them a letter to them telling them you dispute the amount they say you owe them as this figure contains unlawfully debited penalty charges and interest.