Car write off, rubbish settlement offer.

Its WAR
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

TWO Successes. First: Insurers have agreed that I can retain the salvage of my car for £400 less in settlement. Second: I have now taken my accident damaged car for an MOT.......IT PAST. So much for writing it off. Its in great order but a little cosmetic damage that I can eventually put right as and when cheap parts get put on ebay.

So now I have a fresh MOT & Tax but no insurance because Insurance company refuse to insure written off cars. My question is, why does my insurance run out when I bought a years worth? Am I entitled to 6 months refund of insurance if they now choose to withdraw my insurance? At what point do I become uninsured? Is it when I have the accident, make the claim, agree settlement or get settlement? As my car is perfectly roadworthy, can I still drive it? I am really confused.

Its WAR

• 8 months later...

Hi there, i would like some advice on what to do next re: rubbish settlement offer.

Someone crashed into my pride and joy mx5 Eunos. The insurance co. declared it a write off because of its age (not economical viable to repair - would cost 3200 to repair) and offered me a figure of 2700, when i know i could sell my pristine condition car (before accident!!) for around 3200 - 3500. I told the insurance co i wanted my car back, which I have. They gave me an offer of 2700 minus the excess and the cost of the salvage and sent a cheque approx 2000. I wrote back to them declining the offer and sent 10+ adverts of cars around my asking price and describing the spec of my car, thinking they would up the offer near my asking price. I got a letter back saying they thought the offer was reasonable. i have rang them to say i still don’t except their offer and asked for a copy of the complaints procedure and intend to follow that (and if still no joy - then i will go to the ombudsman)

What i would like to know is, should i send the cheque back as i dont want them to think i will change my mind and except their offer (they said i had to keep the cheque as intrim payment) and does anybody have any tactics on how i can get them to up the price? i would be grateful...

Edited by mexy71

TWO Successes. First: Insurers have agreed that I can retain the salvage of my car for £400 less in settlement. Second: I have now taken my accident damaged car for an MOT.......IT PAST. So much for writing it off. Its in great order but a little cosmetic damage that I can eventually put right as and when cheap parts get put on ebay.

So now I have a fresh MOT & Tax but no insurance because Insurance company refuse to insure written off cars. My question is, why does my insurance run out when I bought a years worth? Am I entitled to 6 months refund of insurance if they now choose to withdraw my insurance? At what point do I become uninsured? Is it when I have the accident, make the claim, agree settlement or get settlement? As my car is perfectly roadworthy, can I still drive it? I am really confused.

Your insurance has paid out therefore the whole years premium is due/forfeited with no refund of remaining term, I think this happens at point of settlement but I stand to be corrected. You need to arrange new insurance for the vehicle BEFORE you can drive it. I would go back to insurers and advise them that the car has passed it's MOT and ask them if they will insure again, or what you need to do in order for them to insure again - they might want an engineers report.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Hi there, i would like some advice on what to do next re: rubbish settlement offer.

Someone crashed into my pride and joy mx5 Eunos. The insurance co. declared it a write off because of its age (not economical viable to repair - would cost 3200 to repair) and offered me a figure of 2700, when i know i could sell my pristine condition car (before accident!!) for around 3200 - 3500. I told the insurance co i wanted my car back, which I have. They gave me an offer of 2700 minus the excess and the cost of the salvage and sent a cheque approx 2000. I wrote back to them declining the offer and sent 10+ adverts of cars around my asking price and describing the spec of my car, thinking they would up the offer near my asking price. I got a letter back saying they thought the offer was reasonable. i have rang them to say i still don’t except their offer and asked for a copy of the complaints procedure and intend to follow that (and if still no joy - then i will go to the ombudsman)

What i would like to know is, should i send the cheque back as i dont want them to think i will change my mind and except their offer (they said i had to keep the cheque as intrim payment) and does anybody have any tactics on how i can get them to up the price? i would be grateful...

If you start your own thread you will get tailored advice :)

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!