Me V UKCPS Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:eek: Edited by Simon7685

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Simon

firstly the car park, was it owned by a local authority or is it a private car park?

if its a private carpark then they are charging you a penalty for a breach of contract which is unlawful

under contract law, a claimant can only claim for actual losses as a result of the breach of the contract. in this case how would they justify 60 for 15 minutes parking, its truely disproportionate

i would write to them with something alongthe lines of......

Dear Sirs

I have received correspondence from yourselves dated xxxx 2007. This letter / demand is asking me to pay £xx for an alleged contravention of parking rules at .

I should remind you that as the owner of a vehicle I personally cannot be held responsible for any contract allegedly agreed to or implied by any other driver of my vehicle. I respectfully request that you take this matter up with the driver of the vehicle at the time the alleged contravention took place, unfortunatley i am unable to help you with the identity. I am not liable for this charge.

I will not be providing any payment and your continued pursuit of this matter will constitute an offence under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997. I consider the matter closed and am explicitly instructing you not to contact me again for any reason.

regards

hopefully that should shut them up

regards

paul

Hi simon,

no probs, good luck with these fools. despite what they will try and tell you, as the registered keeper it is not your responsibility to pay private parking fines. local authority such as council ones are a different matter but they are backed up by legislation.

let us know how things go

regards

paul

• 3 weeks later...

Simon,

Don't worry.

Unfortunately the company will not stop sending you threatening letters just because you have written back. They will continue to lie to you - that is the business model, send out their ludicrous demands by 2nd class post. If even a small percentage pay then it is worth their while.

Stand firm and ignore the reminders. Sending annoying letters is just about the limit of their powers. If you do get a letter claiming to be from debt collectors then respond to this - state the debt is in dispute and instruct the debt collectors to refer it back to the PPC.

Just about the only thing the PPC could actually do is issue proceedings in the small claims court for recovery of a debt. They are very unlikely to do this since:

1. It costs them money

2. It would give you a platform for a fair hearing, your defence is free.

3. They would lose

If it came to it, which 999 out of a 1000 it doesn't, there are people who would relish preparing a defence. Me for one but there are genuine experts here also.

//

Edited by Simon7685

//

Edited by Simon7685

Is it form Hunter Forrest? That will be the debt collectors on behalf of UKPC, they sometimes send their first letter with a UKPC logo. Anyhoo, I would write back saying the registered keeper is not liable for these charges (which are not enforceable anyway), only the driver of the vehicle and they have to prove a debt is outstanding. I rang Hunter Forrest and a bored woman answered, I told her we wasn't paying and to return it UKPC, a big sigh and she said ok. I have heard nothing since. They will try and intimidate you with the letters ie, you will get a CCJ and won't be able to get a loan/mortgage, yadder yadder yadder. Highly unlikely that they will go to court. I have been itching for them to try it on so that they can be exposed for what they do. They will work on percentages that a lot of people will pay in ignorance. Call their bluff or ignore, you decide, the outcome will be the same...nothing will happen.

Also their charges are legal and fair and will be enforcced through the courts!

Enforced against whom? They could only sue the person responsible for the alleged breach of contract. They would first have to establish who the defendant would be in order to file a claim.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 weeks later...

//

Edited by Simon7685

Hi Everyone

I was waiting until I got DLA awarded, as this guarantees a disabled badge.

Simon:)

Edited by Simon7685

//

Edited by Simon7685

Parking on private land without permission is tresspass and therefore a civil not criminal matter. By parking on private where signs indicate you will be entering into a contract is ok as long as you fulfil the terms of the contract - i.e. pay the parking charge whatever samount that is.

I guess these charges are set at a rate to discourage parking - because who wants unauthorised people parking on their land - land which is there for permit holders , delivery drivers and emergency services. Indeed it is often a planning requirment that these areas are kept clear of vehicles so emergency services have access. In many cases there are adequate public car parks avaialbe nearby but people cannot be bothered to use them.

Excess charges to cover costs of monitoirng these private land areas and collecting unpaid charges are perfectly legal if explained on the signage.

Turn this around a little if someone parked on your driving blocking your access you would take all measures to have the vehicle removed and try to recover costs from the vehicle owner - wouldnt you.

I would agree that if there was never any room to park in a store carpark because the majority of bays were taken up by non customers shopping elsewhere, then it's right an proper that a charge is made.

Agree the charge might even be set to try and deter non shoppers, but in any case, I don't think anyone can disagree with them doing this.

If a would be customer can't park, then they are likely to go elsewhere, so a lost sale.

Hi Peternet

one thing you have not mentioned is that Penalty Charges for breaching hte terms of a contract are prohibited and therefore are NOT legal.

under contract law and privity to contract the parties who enter into a contractual agreement have rights to recover losses as a result of the other parties breach of the contract now i cannot see how you can suggest that a chagre upwards of one hundred pounds in some cases can be a genuine pre-estimate of losses incured by the land owner,

your analogy is a little wide of the mark as if someone parked on my drive this would be an tortious act of tresspass not a breach of contract

regards

paul

if there is a ticket machine it is an invitation to park under the contractual conditions on the signage or ticket machine. Many of these private land sites do not have tickect machines because they are for permit holders only (e.g. office staff shopkeepers etc) or the land is just not meant for parking on

in addition to my last post,

any contract entered into is between the land owner and the driver of the vehicle,

its a shame these parking companies cant get this simple fact into their heads as they often chase the registered keeper for parking charges

now while this is the case under road traffic laws that the registered keeper is liable for parking tickets from local authorities ect, the same does not extend to private parking companies,it is the driver who enters the contract and therefore is liable NOT the RO,

also by sending information to the Registered keeper the parking companies are also breaching Data Protection Legislation too

regards

paul

Is there not something called liquidated damages? - where I believe the excess charges/damages are agreed in the initital contract. Courts do allow costs in the hundreds of pounds region - I imagine running an office and employing people is not a cheap activity - all costs.

As i browse these forums it amazes me how people claim to be law abiding citizens EXCEPT when it comes to legitimate charges for entering a legitimate contract - the law is not just about criminal cases is it

Paul - there is no breach of the data protection act in contacting a registered vehicle keeper about the whereabouts of their vehicle!

I would be interested in your comments on ANPR (automatic number plate recognition camera technology) where tickets are not issued - increasing number of companies are using htese i believe

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks