Protest

Spiceskull
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone considered lawful ways to protest, and how to display your contempt for the bank without inconveniencing other bank users.

I know there was some muppet who was boasting about superglueing the bank doors locked, but I was thinking more along the lines of standing outside the branch with a placard, or even setting up one of those tables that animal rights protesters often use...

I seem to remember that in the 70s and early 80s this was very effective against companies that did business with the apartheid regime in South Africa...

And most importantly, has the law governing an individuals right to lawful protest been watered down much in the intervening years?

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Banks only understand money...what we are doing on this forum is probably the best form of protest. :)

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Banks only understand money...what we are doing on this forum is probably the best form of protest. :)

Hi Alan,

I fully understand your point, but our methods are very 'behind the scenes.' Visible and vocal protest would get customers asking questions of the bank directly, would cause embarassment and fudged responses, and and put them in the position where they could not rely on an automated and faceless response mechanism...exactly the sort of publicity that people need to understand in order to realise what the bank is doing to them...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think there is a fundimental difficulty for any campaign - namely, the media companies all have bank accounts. Whilst they will report the odd thing in an attempt to show balance , I don't think you will find any prepared to publically back a campaign.

This leaves us with the option of standing outside branches - possibly leafletting customers. Whilst this may bring some more people to the point of reclaiming fees, I doubt that the banks will take much notice - unless of course we could manage to coordinate the action to cover as many banks as possible in the same day and at the same time.

Sorry, to be so negative - but I really do feel that this forum is the only way. I would add that each day, the number of members on the forum is increasing. Banks are having to create departments specifically to deal with the claims that are being made by members of this forum. I also have no doubt that banks are paying thousands of pounds to lawyers in the hope they will find a way out of the mess.

We are hurting the banks - and each day, and each week, they are getting more rattled.

Alan, Derby, UK.

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

What about as shareholders at AGMs. There should be some coming up and I'm sure there must be some people who are shareholders. The only trouble is that as shareholders you look for an increase profits but if this is in an unlawful way that leaves the banks open to massive claims the profits will reduce which will hit the dividends.

It must be possible to ask awkward questions at the AGM. Are there any shareholders out there?

I know absolutely nothing about share dealings, however I do know that if you are a shareholder you are entltled to go to the AGM. Presumably bank shares are trading openly, so with a very small investment it should be possible to get into the meeting.

Unfortunately - expect to be ejected fairly rapidly when they sus what you are up to!

If the Labour Party can kick out one of its own members for shouting "shame" - imagine what a group of bank shareholders will do when they realise you're the reason that their profit margin is falling!!!

Alan, Derby, UK.

unless of course we could manage to coordinate the action to cover as many banks as possible in the same day and at the same time.

I was testing the water - and this was going to be the next point I would have raised. Added to the issue of AGMs, anything co-ordinated, and unexpected, will leave the banks unprepared...

Of course they have departments to deal with this issue, and that is exactly the department we DON'T want to speak to (unless they have absolute authority to refund all charges)...we want them off their guard, slipping up and admitting that the charges are penalties and unlawful.

In all honesty the suggestion was a feeler, and I don't seriously expect many people would consider it. After all, to have an impact it would have to happen during normal working hours...when most people are busy trying to earn the banks profits...

Could be a laugh - I wonder what Abbey's shares are trading at....

Alan, Derby, UK.

It's a great post, Spiceskull, but I think alanfromderby has a point

There are several reasons for the difficulty in rallying public support.

1. Apathy. Most people's lives are too hectic to get into yet another argument.

2. People will be reluctant to publically join campaigns against bank charges because of the stigma. They don't want to be seen by others in the vein of, "Hey, look at her arguing against bank charges, she must have gone overdrawn a few times, she must be struggling to make ends meet..."

3. People are simply frightened of taking on "Big Brother", whether it is the government or the local bank.

and so on....

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

because of the stigma. They don't want to be seen by others in the vein of, "Hey, look at her arguing against bank charges, she must have gone overdrawn a few times, she must be struggling to make ends meet..."

Actually, that is a very fair point - rather than considering the response of the banks, the perception in the public eye could be negative...

However, it is accepted wisdom that a third of adults have charges levied against them every year, averaging £100. Assuming that everyone has had an account for at least three years, it is fair to say that everone will have suffered at some stage (on the balance of probability) - and therefore the 'shame' is a universally shared shame...

As for timidity - I think you underestimate the will of the common people, when the offence caused is so outrageous and destructive...they can and do protest. I remember well the poll tax riots and miners strike...I think the message is "if you are having your rights eroded, and you protest, you will get noticed..." and this does leave people thinking about all the issues involved...

I have spoken to numerous people about being able to reclaim charges from their bank, and the response falls into three catagories.

1) Great, how do I do it?

2) Yes, I know what you mean. I have paid hundreds of pounds in charges over the years - let me know how you get on!

3) Yes, but the banks are going to find another way of getting money out of us in the end. Probably by making everybody pay charges to cover the costs of those who can't manage their money!

Yes, the public like to see individuals standing up against the big corporations - but not when it could cost them money.

Alan, Derby, UK.

I suppose that any form of visible protest will need to be very clear on its objectives:

1. How are you doing it (is it inconvenient to others)
  2. Is it a fair and just argument (duuuurrrrr!)
  3. What message are you delivering to the bank (you have acted unlawfully, please rectify the situation)
  4. What message are you delivering to the 'audience' (I am standing up for my right to be treated lawfully, and with respect)
  5. What your resolution point is (positive action on point 3)

Whilst any publicity is great, that must NOT be the reason you are protesting (we all hate celebs who are famous for the wrong reasons...) - you are there to right a wrong, you are NOT there to become a celebrity...

Pipelinecard.org, which is a scheme run by one of the 2000 fuel protestors, is about approaching a major petrol retailer and saying "hey, we have 150 000 subscribers, if we all promise to get our fuel from only you, give us a discount in the 5-10p per litre region".

It's then gone about getting as many people as possible registered, and its done this via publicity (Martin Lewis again) and press releases. A lot of people have bought car stickers from the site. Could we have some designed and sold for, say £10? Any profit could go towards books, resources, hosting etc?

(I'm not trying to plug Pipelinecard, just drawing a similar analogy re:publicity)

Just a suggestion :-)

Martin

Hey - good idea...we can all advertise in a tiny but incremental way. Stickers are great, but they would need explanation...however, most email accounts allow for a 'signature' - suggest people add something to the effect of:

"Fed up with being ripped off by the bank? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"

I'm going to do that right now...and any email I send the bank will have it there...!!! (he he)

We did stage a protest outside the OFT in March(?).

I say we, but I couldn't make it.

It was that, that spurred the OFT into stating that they were going to release a statement about a 'cap'.

When are userbase has acheived critical mass, it is our intention to go to a bank and say "Look how many potential customers you would have if you stopped profiting from charges."

If we can get one to do it, then the others would have to follow suite.

PS. I have no problem with people advertisting Pipeline ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I say we, but I couldn't make it.

That means...BF?

Hey - good idea...we can all advertise in a tiny but incremental way. Stickers are great, but they would need explanation...however, most email accounts allow for a 'signature' - suggest people add something to the effect of:

"Fed up with being ripped off by the bank? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"

I'm going to do that right now...and any email I send the bank will have it there...!!! (he he)

Excellent idea - I have posted a link on the other forum I spend time on (A Big Brother fan site - yes I know!!), but will now amend my footer for that.

I also trade on ebay, so may be able to add a footer to those emails as well - subject to ebay rules of course.

Alan, Derby, UK.

Indeed - and Seminole I think, and a fair few others. Stephen as well.

However, I think the protest was too early - we only had about 1000 members then.

That means...BF?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I think the protest was too early - we only had about 1000 members then.

In light of that, and considering the current growth in membership, have you given any thought to my PM of last night...?

I'm jealous...I wish I had been there too...!

In light of that, and considering the current growth in membership, have you given any thought to my PM of last night...?

The forum membership is still too small and the group is too young. Quite a lot of work is going on behind the scenes to build up a network of contacts with decision makers.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks