G24 parking charge notices received **Won at POPLA**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I am also new to this. I have received G24 "charge notices" for 2 "offences" one week apart. I also seem to have missed some posts on this issue as I thought I should just ignore the notices. Is that no longer the case? If not, what is the recommended approach now? I found a very legalistic standard letter on this website that is (or was?) being recommended to send to G24 -- is this no longer recommended? Thanks for your advice. Nigel.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so new to this that I don;t even know if the reply I thought I'd posted a few minutes ago has actually been posted! In short, it seems that the advice to ignore these notices from G24 is out of date? Is that right? Has the law changed? I had 2 notices on successive weekends, both through the post. What is the latest advice? Thanks. Nigel.

Thanks for this. I got both demands through the post (with a photo of the car entering and leaving). I don't have them with me right now but they both arrived on the 12th day after the event. I've just written to them with a very simple letter asking them to send me what evidence they have of the identity of the driver.

I overstayed by about 3 of hours each time. I use that car park frequently for short visits (which are free) and just had it in my mind that it was free. The signs were visible and reaosnably clear - I had just switched off from noticing them.

Right, when sending payment demands through the post they must be with you before 14 days after the event is up so geting one 12 days after is within the time they are allowed.

next question is who owns/occupies the land? most of the parking contracts are duff so ultimately unenforceable but you have 28 days to identify the driver otherwise you become liable as keeper of the vehicle for any contractual claim.

Basically the best advice is to appeal the charge and when the parking co reject your appeal then you get given a POPLA reference code and you appeal it to the independent adjudicator. This costs the parking co money and you nothing so always worthwhile. It doesnt really matter what you put in your appeal to G24 as they are unlikely to allow it as they wouldnt make any money as it is a free car park that belonge to someone else.

The wording on the sign is also important as to what they are claiming for so as you seem to go there regularly photograph it so we can advise whether their claim is wrong by dint of the wrong wording on the sign.

So for the moment I would be appealing the charge as no contract formed unless G24 can show STRICT PROOF of a contract with occupier/landlord that allows them to claim from you in their own name for the landlord's losses. Then say that if they will not do this then they are to provide the POPLA code and not enter into any further correspondence.

They will undoubtedly just write back and say they have permission and arent going to show it to you but you should get the POPLA code. No code, no claim against you.

Many thanks for this. The law does seem to have changed, then? Other advice I've seen on the internet says that I am under no obligation to identify myself as the driver -- G24 must prove that -- and they cannot claim against me unless they prove I was the driver. You say that I have 28 days to identify the driver otherwise I become liable as keeper of the vehicle. Has the law changed? The other area of advice i have seen is that G24 can't claim £100 for 3 hours parking because the "breach of contract" did not cost them that much - and it is an unreasonable parking fee anyway. Do you agree with that? Incidentally, I'm well up for following this through all the way to Court and, hopefully, other victims will benefit from my experience.

Don't let on you were the driver. They might just "time out" on the next letter.

The defence will be based on the fact they can not account for the loss.

Good for you for sticking to "The Fight" because this is costing them big time

Having done quite a lot of reading around all this recently, I think what I really need is a definitive answer to one simple question: If this goes to appeal, is POPLA going to accept the defence that the charge is way in excess of any loss incurred by G24 and the charge is therefore cancelled? This basically seems to be the bottom line.

Having done quite a lot of reading around all this recently, I think what I really need is a definitive answer to one simple question: If this goes to appeal, is POPLA going to accept the defence that the charge is way in excess of any loss incurred by G24 and the charge is therefore cancelled? This basically seems to be the bottom line.

Yes :)

Thanks for this. I got both demands through the post (with a photo of the car entering and leaving). I don't have them with me right now but they both arrived on the 12th day after the event. I've just written to them with a very simple letter asking them to send me what evidence they have of the identity of the driver.

But at 13-00 hrs #6 you said the above....... So whats changed in the last 7 hours?

But at 13-00 hrs #6 you said the above....... So whats changed in the last 7 hours?

Simply that I have done more research and found that the law seems to have changed to the effect that G24 can go after the registered keeper. I therefore need to be confident that the remaining defences (about "unreasonable charges" etc) are going to work for me. Havinastella offers me a "yes". Are you able to offer a solid "yes" as well? This is important to me. Thanks for your interest so far - I really do appreciate it. I have 2 of these charges pending so the money is not insignificant. I'll post the letters if I can figure out how.

Yes, I can get photos tomorrow or at the weekend. I tried this evening but had problems with the lack of light(!) There is a single notice several yards away from the entrance saying free parking up to 90 minutes and charges apply thereafter and referring to more detailed info elsewhere on site. It's not ideally located but it's difficult to argue that it's not apparent. There's one sign providing more detailed info, including the £100 charge after 90 mins.