Alliance & Leicester - Settled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The following letter from A&L, dated 29th March, was received today:

Dear {mcuth}

Thank you for your letter of 15th March. Please accept my apologies for any delay in replying.

May I begin with advising that Alliance & Leicester, along with all financial institutions, will raise fees to customers account [sic] should they exceed the terms and conditions of the account. We will, for example, raise fees should any customer have failed debit transactions due to insufficient funds, have an unauthorised overdraft or should we be forced to pay a debit item, for example a guaranteed cheque.

We make no secret of these fees. They are clearly shown on the terms and conditions of the accounts when they are applied for and opened {mcuth note: actually, they're not - there's reference to "a fee", but not how much}. Detailed information is shown on the reverse of the statements that we send to customers on a monthly basis. These terms and conditions of how we operate are within the Banking Code of Practice.

I have taken the opportunity to consider the points you have raised and whilst I fully appreciate your comments, the situation remains that the charges were raised correctly in accordance with our charging tarrif.

I appreciate this situation may be the cause of disappointment and I am sorry that I can offer no further assistance with regards to this matter.

In accordance with regulatory requirements, I must advise that if I do not hear from you within the next eight weeks our file on this issue will be closed. I am enclosing our leaflet explaining how to progress this matter, either through our internal procedures or, if necessary, via the Financial Ombudsman Service, should you remain dissatisfied.

Please remember that we have a range of service options via the Internet and telephone that will assist customers managing their accounts. For more information please visit us at the at [sic] Website or telephone number listed above.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely

{personally signed}

That made it just a little sweeter to take the forms & statements down to the County Court this morning (am thinking of a 4 word fax just to say "See you in court" :D). Claim will be issued soon - Dave & BF, will PM you the details when I get the "Notice of Issue".

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice of issue now received:

Issued: 31st March 2006

Posted: 3rd April 2006

Deemed to be served: 5th April 2006

A&L has until 19th April 2006 to respond

Link to litigation post here

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a cracking Easter Egg in today's post:

Dear {mcuth}

Re: Yourself against Alliance & Leicester plc

Swindon County Court Claim No: 6SN01270

We have received from Swindon County Court your claim issued under the above number. We have given careful consideration to your particular claim and in this particular case we have decided to settle your claim. This decision should not be regarded as an admission of liability on the part of the Company, nor should it be considered to be any sign of weakness on our part as we consider the charges to be fair and reasonable.

We therefore enclose our cheque in the sum of £1317.53 paid in full and final settlement of your claim. Would you please acknowledge receipt and write to Swindon County COurt advising that the matter has been settled. Would you please provide us with a copy of the letter that you send.

{mcuth: my bolding}

As it is clear that you do not accept the terms and conditions for operation of your account we will be contacting you shortly to discuss its future operation.

Yours faithfully

{name}

Solicitor

Litigation Team

Wooooo-hooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Interesting points:

i) £1317.53 is actually more than I claimed for - I claimed £1312.67, so I guess they've added interest at the daily rate to it (nice proactive touch)

ii) My bolding of the last paragraph of their letter - looks like a not-so-veiled threat of account closure to me. If that happens, then I foresee a complaint going in to the FOS ;) Though it's a good job my parachute account is up & running already :D

iii) I see A&L's grammar & punctuation is still pretty poor - notwithstanding the letter should be signed "Yours sincerely" as they address me by name (yeah, picky, but they're supposed to be professional ;) )

I have updated the survey and will, of course, be sending an Amazon Voucher as soon as the cheque is cleared :) :) :)

Cheers

Michael

Thanks all - I'm really happy (as you might guess - LOL). Fresh from this, I've drafted DPA requests to 6 more organisations (covering 13 old accounts). Only problem is I have to wait til next weekend to send them....after the A&L cheque clears :D

Cheers

Michael

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I am intending to attempt a claim back from A&L aswell. I've had my account for many years, and intend to claim at least 2 of these back!

I must admit that your posts have inspired me to go ahead with full force! And in fact I am rather looking forward to it! :D

Congratulations! :D

Any tips you could give on how to go about this claim would be greatly appreciated! (I'm not the most forceful of people!) :eek:

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." -

Mark Twain

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I am intending to attempt a claim back from A&L aswell. I've had my account for many years, and intend to claim at least 2 of these back!

Good stuff - welcome & go for it!!

I must admit that your posts have inspired me to go ahead with full force! And in fact I am rather looking forward to it! :D

Thanks - am glad my experience has helped you take the plunge, it's certainly satisfying :D

Congratulations! :D

Any tips you could give on how to go about this claim would be greatly appreciated! (I'm not the most forceful of people!) :eek:

Honestly, absolutely everything I did is in this thread - it's just a question of reading the FAQs, understanding the subject, preparing your paperwork, being prepared to go to court (and a hearing if necessary) and most of all.....having patience with delay tactics & the requirements of giving them enough time to respond :)

Cheers

Michael

I was an employee of A&L and left to join a rival - I'll be claiming all my fees back asap! I'm not sure what they can do if you go for a claim - but don't forget that it's in your work contract to conduct your account properly & they can get your line manager involved (which may lead to disciplinary action) if you don't - so be careful :) But good luck!!

Thanks again - it still feels great a week later :D

I wonder if they would threaten me with closure of my account should I opt to take them to court? Maybe they would sack me? An interesting thought!

Well, I'd tread very carefully if the account is part of your employment contract - but regarding the closure threat, they haven't actually followed up on that "future operation" paragraph as yet.....

Cheers

Michael

Maybe you should have requested payment of £25.00 administration fee to send a letter to the court advising of settlement. After all it is manually raised and not computor generated like theirs.

• Confused 1

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Maybe you should have requested payment of £25.00 administration fee to send a letter to the court advising of settlement. After all it is manually raised and not computor generated like theirs.

LOL :D

Cheers

Michael

Hi,

I was forwaeded details of this site from a friend on mind after a rather long drawn conversation in the pub about the justification of current bank charges.

At first i was rather sceptical of how i would go about getting my charges back from the lower evil known as Alliance & Leicester!

So i registered, read some of the info and then stumbled across you thread.

Mcuth - may i say many congratulations on your "victory"! I spent well over an hour reading the whole thread, and what an intresting read it was!

You have given me the inspiration to claim my charges back from Alliance & Leicester aswell.

However, being a naturally paranoid person that i am, i would feel that if i made a claim and threatened possible court action they would actually take me to court and make an example of me!

Is there any advise you could give me on making a claim? And is there anyway of knowing if someone has a definate case?

Many Thanks

Dave_Lebowski

Hi Dave_Lebowski

Mcuth - may i say many congratulations on your "victory"! I spent well over an hour reading the whole thread, and what an intresting read it was!

You have given me the inspiration to claim my charges back from Alliance & Leicester aswell.

Wow - thanks for your kind words - very heartwarming :-):-)

However, being a naturally paranoid person that i am, i would feel that if i made a claim and threatened possible court action they would actually take me to court and make an example of me!

You know, that's the way I looked at it - but actually, it's probably the best way. This way, you're prepared for the "worst case scenario" rather than being surprised by a defence to the claim & a hearing (although they wouldn't be taking you to court, you'd be taking them :D)

Is there any advise you could give me on making a claim?

Have a read around here, and as I said to Jes0rKah (above): "Honestly, absolutely everything I did is in this thread - it's just a question of reading the FAQs, understanding the subject, preparing your paperwork, being prepared to go to court (and a hearing if necessary) and most of all.....having patience with delay tactics & the requirements of giving them enough time to respond".

And is there anyway of knowing if someone has a definate case?

Just about anyone that's had unlawful charges applied to their bank/credit card account (for direct debit/cheque/standing order returns, unauthorised overdrafts/overlimit charges, late payments, etc....) has a definite case. It's all covered in the FAQs - as my old English teacher used to say: read, learn & inwardly digest....;-)

Cheers

Michael

hi michael just wondering if you could help me as iam not very good at this?! these big words confuse me!

i wrote a letter and the first responce was exactly the same as yours, so what do i do now?

thanks....btw iam owed £400 in 6 months!!

Hiya Michael

I've never posted a reply before but I was watching your case with my heart in my mouth cause it seemed a&L weren't going to give in - and then in the middle of it all my computer broke - well I've just got it back working and see that they caved in and paid up. You are an inspiration and as scared as I am I'm going to post my letter first thing Monday. They must owe me bundles of money and at the end of the day its better off in my pocket than theirs.

Sue

Hi. I have put in a claim against A&L for just over £3,000 (bad I know). I have received exactly the same letters as are detailed in this thread and after discussing it at length with relatives today (who have been successful in their claims) have decided to be brave and go for the court option. I will do it tonight before I change my mind. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will keep you posted. Kerry

mcmade - Thanks & good luck with your pursuit :)

jem - I'd follow the timetable that you set out in your letter to them, and don't let them try and put you off with their bland replies. Keep going as per the step-by-step instructions - they're in the wrong and they know it :)

Sue - Thanks for the kind words, go for it! There's honestly nothing to be scared of, just know your subject and be prepared to end up in court if needs be. Oh, and make sure you've got a parachute account, just in case...:)

Kerry - Definitely that's the way to go, good luck with it! Keep us all updated, there's lots of support here :)

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

It took them a month, but the retaliation is finally here....received in today's post (verbatim - including p*%% poor grammar & punctuation):

Dear {mcuth)

I refer to our previous correspondence. As you are aware we have reviewed your particular case and settled your claim concerning charges on your account.

The decision should not be regarded as an admission of liability on the part of the Company, not should it be regarded as any sign of weakness on our part as we consider the charges to be fair and reasonable.

As it is clear that you do not accept certain aspects of the terms and conditions for the operation of your account we regret that we are unable to continue to offer you banking facilities. We are therefore now giving you notice that your account will be closed on 22 June 2006. I would be grateful therefore if you would destroy and return any cards or cheque books that you may have in the enclosed envelope.

If any funds remain in the account they will be forwarded by cheque made payable to yourself to your home address. However, if you have an overdraft facility or if your account is overdrawn we will contact you separately regarding the removal of the facility and for your repayment proposals.

Your sincerely

{name}

Wooot, I feel a little challenge coming up....:D

Cheers

Michael

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1910 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks