HMRC Scam alert

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just in case anyone hasn't yet seen one of these:

TAX RETURN FOR THE YEAR 2009

RECALCULATION OF YOUR TAX REFUND

HMRC 2008-2009

Date: 08/03/2009

LOCAL OFFICE No. 3819

TAX CREDIT OFFICER: David Craig

TAX REFUND ID NUMBER: 381716209

Dear Applicant,

HMRC announce you after the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 285.45 GBP

You have attached the tax return form with the TAX REFUND ID NUMBER: 381716209, complete the tax return form attached to this message.

After completing the form, please submit the form by clicking the SUBMIT button on form and allow us 5-9 business days in order to process it.

Our head office address can be found on our web site at http://www.hmrc.co.uk/

Sincerely,

David Craig

Tax Credit Office

Preston

PR1 0SB

As I was expecting some tax back, I looked a little deeper, but when I clicked on the attachment that was a web page, I discovered it was asking for information including last 3 digits on the back of your credit card etc, so decided it was indeed a [problem].

The HTML document is downloaded from 87.248.114.86

Now hopefully some IT master who sees the above, and has the ability, will give them a jolly good "cybershafting"

Good call on the suspected [problem], unless hmrc are now using yahoo servers :-).

Suggest you send a copy of the phishing page to yahoo who should remove it at the very least.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

I had about 4 emails about the same a couple of weeks ago, and followed the directions on the HMRC website. I knew it was a [problem] as one of the emails went to an email address I use only for online gaming!!!

HM Revenue & Customs: Fraud and scams

Just forward the email to them and they will investigate it.

mazbck, thanks for the email addy at the tax office, have just forwarded the whole email to them.

Tezcatlipoca, PM me with your email addy and I will forward it to you.

I did actually click on the link without even thinking. but it didn't register as a virus through Avast (have run a scan aswell and nothing appears to be onmy PC).

The file extension is .pdf.htm so it was a webpage posing as a PDF document

mazbck, thanks for the email addy at the tax office, have just forwarded the whole email to them.

Tezcatlipoca, PM me with your email addy and I will forward it to you.

I did actually click on the link without even thinking. but it didn't register as a virus through Avast (have run a scan aswell and nothing appears to be onmy PC).

The file extension is .pdf.htm so it was a webpage posing as a PDF document

Deleted. Sorry, got confused.

The link looks ok to me?

Edited by FlyboyAgain

• 3 weeks later...

Normally in these scams the e-mail shows the correct web address, but the HTML code actually links to a different site that looks similar, but is not. They usually build a fake page looking like the site they are covering and trick too many people into entering their details. That's why when one copies the text without the code into public forums you don't realize it's definitely a [problem], because it's not copying the HTML code showing the fake web address.

They also normally have terribly bad spelling!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)