Acer Laptop Problems

Syd83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya !

My luck just doesnt get any better.....

My girlfriend bout an Acer Laptop from Tesco costing £449.94 on the 4th September 2006 (at the time of me posting - One year ago, yesterday)

The laptop developed a fault with the HDD (Hard Disc Drive) where windows could not find the disc, we spent hours getting all the pictures off with special recovery software etc. We got what we wanted.

The machine went back for repair, and came back with a new HDD however this drive was making lots of clicking noises, a quick google search shows that this is known as the click of death, something to do with the disc not keeping the correct speed, and the advice was to get all your info off and get a new drive.

I called acer again on the 0870 number, and reported that fault. as i was packing it i shoved a note in the box to say have a look at the right hand speaker because its stopped working. The machine came back and the right speaker wasnt working and the hard drive still made a clicking noise, all be it not so often.

Now i rang up on the day it came back to moan that the speaker wasnt fixed. they said there was nothing on the computer and the tech guy wont touch it if its not on the computer, so no one reads the notes.

I've been busy over the last few days, and called them this morning to get the "Case ID" number, and report a fault that has just started, not working at all, the charger is fine, test that ok, but it will not power up on mains.

Acer said too bad about that, you will need to pay for that, be we will repair the previously reported problems, these being the HDD and speaker. Which will still leave me with a dead laptop.

The tech guy said go out and buy another charger, no. the charger is fine I tested it, and tried another of the same spec with no results. its the jack on the motherboard, same happened to my old Advent machine.

He said they will charge to fix that, about £200 for a motherboard, but laptops can be bought for £260 new, a branded name like Hewlett Packard.

What is the best course of action, this laptop causes us nothing but anger, i would be more happy for it to be used as a door stop

Any help welcome

Thanks in advance

The thing is, I bought it from Tesco, I thought I would be going through Tesco for repair in which case I probably would be granted the repair as Tesco are pretty good on things like that, but when you ring you get put directly through to Acer.

I really think that a day is unreasonable, luckily for me I work for an IFA and we work closely with solicitors, I shall have a word with them and see what they think, ill keep you all posted on the outcome.

Acer are absolutely right. Your warranty with them has now expired and they are entitled to charge to fix the problem.

However, all is not lost.

Your knight is shining armour is the Sale of Goods Act, which places the responsibility firmly on Tesco as the retailer.

Take the laptop back to Tesco. If they try to fob you off with calling Acer or that the laptop is out of warranty then quote SOGA and inform them firmly that they are responsible, not Acer and that Acer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights under SOGA, not instead of.

If you do a search under Sale of Goods Act or SOGA, you will find threads outlining the issues and how to handle Tesco

If it had been absolutely fine and gone out of warrenty on the day it expired fair enough... but the fact that this would be the 3rd time its gone back should prove that they are not doing their job properly, and besides the first call was logged during the warrenty.

I have sent it back to get what we originally requested sorted, you never know they may have to fix the power to solve another problem. I will then ring Tesco and complain and see what happens I will keep you updated :)

• 1 year later...

So i sent in my acer laptop for repair and rung today.acer fixing it and said they awaited customer apporval for a new mother board even though it was under warrinty.I sent the laptop back in march of this year asweel and at that time i extended my warrinty too.The problem was the same then so i questioned today why they needed a customer approval.After some effort, someone told me the reason was because my warrinty was voided as the sticker and some screw had been removed.Now i know catergorically I have been the only one in possession of my acer laptop since i extended my warrinty and it was returned to me in march.They are now saying my warrinty is voided but surely based on the fact that i extended in only a few months ago, and that I know for a fact I didn't take the sticker off.Also why would i intentionally or unintentially do that as I only exteneded the warrinty a few months ago? There must be some way of keeping the warrinty based on this specific case.They are just saying no no the warrinty is void but I find it hard to believe this is the only option...What can I do ...please helppppp thanks

Hi Sammy,

I am still battling with the Acer. I took it back to Comet were I bought it from as not a merchantable good. They lost the lap top and all papers with it!!!

I went with the whole story to Standard Trading and they are hopefully sorting the case.

I hope all goes well with you. I bought a new laptop from Aldi which has been working absolutely fine. I will never touch Acer nor Comet!!!

Christa

• 4 weeks later...

I'm totally new to this forum and was hoping someone would help me. I bought an Acer 5738z laptop in July 09 from Comet. I've noticed that when I type an email out to send it misses an awful lot of letters out and I have to press letters twice. It's ok if I do searches and suprinsingly the problem doesn't seem to have occured whilst I'm writing this but one thing I have noticed is that if I run my hand across the kepyboard it risen up slighty from @ key to the number pad and if you look at the keyboard at eye level there is a noticable hump. I took the laptop into comet and they have told me the hump should have been noticed when I bought the laptop therefore the manufacturers warranty does not apply and if they did send it off I would be charged!! Surely this isn't correct and the hump might not have anything to do with this problem but could it be my hotmail account? They said the keyboard would have to be replaced.

OMMG..AAcer is a joke..So they needed to replace te motherboard which was the same problem they had to resolve when i took it in in march of this year aswell....Now they have sent me a brand new acer computer...I know in terms and conditions they cn't guarantee the laptop or data will be saved but why replace it if it fixing the same probleem as last time...This sounds very odd

and plus they never informed me that i was getting a new laptop...tey just sent it...NEVER INFORMING ME...Surely this is not right...can i get compensation\///????