Please help - list of common failures

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

We all know that all companies cock up - some more than most.

I am trying to collate the most common cockups.

Please add to this sticky, preferably in a one line statement, the cockups that you have experienced over the years.

e.g.

DVLA ignored SORN declaration and I was fined.

Company XXX refused to refund me when good were faulty from outset.

etc....

All will become apparent soon....

Thank you.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

well where do I begin?

For starters (and if I had more time on my hands I would have done something more about it) about 4 years ago I bought a Bosch dishwasher from John Lewis. Decent make and John Lewis give a 2 year guarntee, boy did I need it!

To cut a long story short the thing broke down 4 times and amoungst other things it needed a new pump. Then after 2 years 3 months the thing packed up again, this time both John Lewis and Bosch refused to do a thing about it. Bosch in particular I single out for particular obsternance and a 'We are Bosch and we don't give a damn award' for lack of customer care.

£430+ down the drain or it would have been if the thing worked.

My opinion, never buy Bosch, I even refused to buy some windscreen wiper blades on Sunday because they were made by these scumbags.

Also I can't take Which? magazine seriously after they rated a Bosch dishwasher as a best buy and didn't answer my letter questioning their decision.

Regards,

Paul.

• 2 months later...

Not one that has happened to me personally, but it does seem to be a regular one. A licence is sent back for an address change and it comes back missing a category. The most common licence categories that go AWOL are motorcycle, HGV or bus licence categories. If you don't check the licence and take it up with DVLA straight away they will tell you "tough" and the only way to get the category back is to re-take the test. The only way they will amend their cock up if you don't realise their mistake straight away is if you can prove that you have passed the test for the relevent category.

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

We all know that all companies cock up - some more than most.

I am trying to collate the most common cockups.

Please add to this sticky, preferably in a one line statement, the cockups that you have experienced over the years.

e.g.

DVLA ignored SORN declaration and I was fined.

Company XXX refused to refund me when good were faulty from outset.

etc....

All will become apparent soon....

Thank you.

hi, im new to this site and found it by trying to find out how people get treated by the DVLA. I recently receievd a letter last month fining me £40 for not declaring sorn or re-taxing my old car, one which i sold last July 2007 and sold all the relevant documentation off!!! i was obviously absolutely livid that after contacting the DVLA many times last year about the matter, i was now being issued with a fine!! I have disputed this, showing them copies of the documents i actually have i.e the sale document and the registration etc. all i got back on both occasions was a letter stuffed with regurgitated law and regulations. utterly disgusted, i decided to take the matter to the secretary of state for transport. i am currently waiting to hear back about this, (my fine goes up to £80 on 30th May 2008), but i strongly feel that there should be an independant body that deals with these complaints fairly and adequately. it is all well and good them telling us their laws and regulations but at the end of the day this has been a catastrophic failure on their part that i believe they should take liability for. instead it turns out they are punishing honest motorists to get a quick buck - yet again. i know of several people this has happened to (they also ignored this in my letter). I feel that as the secretary of state governs the DVLA overall, that i will not get back what i deserve and that the fine will still be levied unjustly against me. i would be so grateful to hear from any other people who has had this same disgusting treatment from the DVLA.

• 2 months later...
Not one that has happened to me personally, but it does seem to be a regular one. A licence is sent back for an address change and it comes back missing a category. The most common licence categories that go AWOL are motorcycle, HGV or bus licence categories. If you don't check the licence and take it up with DVLA straight away they will tell you "tough" and the only way to get the category back is to re-take the test. The only way they will amend their cock up if you don't realise their mistake straight away is if you can prove that you have passed the test for the relevent category.

I can believe that the computer makes mistakes but I know that the DVLA keeps microfiche records. They should be able to sort out any mistakes by looking at these.

hi, im new to this site and found it by trying to find out how people get treated by the DVLA. I recently receievd a letter last month fining me £40 for not declaring sorn or re-taxing my old car, one which i sold last July 2007 and sold all the relevant documentation off!!! i was obviously absolutely livid that after contacting the DVLA many times last year about the matter, i was now being issued with a fine!! I have disputed this, showing them copies of the documents i actually have i.e the sale document and the registration etc. all i got back on both occasions was a letter stuffed with regurgitated law and regulations. utterly disgusted, i decided to take the matter to the secretary of state for transport. i am currently waiting to hear back about this, (my fine goes up to £80 on 30th May 2008), but i strongly feel that there should be an independant body that deals with these complaints fairly and adequately. it is all well and good them telling us their laws and regulations but at the end of the day this has been a catastrophic failure on their part that i believe they should take liability for. instead it turns out they are punishing honest motorists to get a quick buck - yet again. i know of several people this has happened to (they also ignored this in my letter). I feel that as the secretary of state governs the DVLA overall, that i will not get back what i deserve and that the fine will still be levied unjustly against me. i would be so grateful to hear from any other people who has had this same disgusting treatment from the DVLA.

That is exactly the correct approach. Getting an inquiry from the minister really makes civil servants jump to it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

DVLA - sold / transferred car and notified them, then received an LLP for failing to re-tax / SORN about 8 months later.

:!:Nothing I post should be taken as legal advice. It is offered as an opinion only.:!:

This warning is in my signature because I'm not organised enough to remember to type

it in every post.

And you're considering trusting me????:eek:

• 6 months later...

updated my address, licene came back without my bike category.. dvla admitted that i had passed my test but said I did not transfer my test pass onto my licence within the time alloted.. so bye bye licence and was told all i could do was retake my test! now every time i update my licence I make sure i have a photocopy of my licence before i send it off..

Hi, I sent my V5 logbook in when my old car was scrapped over 2 years ago!) but after writing a letter to DVLA, in response to a SORN fine, explaining the situation, I had no response and my case passed has simply been passed onto the Bailiffs "Philips Collection Services" who are demanding I pay the fine of £80 or face imprisonment or a £1000 fine!!!

What can I do? I do not have spare cash to fund the government in their pledge to rid us of terrorists!!!

Any help, much appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Seems like the same old story over and over again. I sold my motorbike to my brother in April 2008, I get a LLP letter from DVLA in Oct 2009 stating it wasnt SORN'd. Told them when and who I sold it to. And in Dec 2009 I get a Philips Collection Service letter with the usual on it. In no way am I paying the £80 penalty for their mistake. Bless em' ... theyve got to fund their christmas parties somehow (disclaimer:- In no way am I suggesting that the £80 penalties are being used to fund xmas parties within the DVLA, this is to avoid any legal action being taken against myself for any kind of slander, besides ... i doubt youd have chiristmas parties anyway, scrooge never did enjoy christmas & youd probably mess up the arrangements and charge you staff for the priviledge of the mistake).

• 3 months later...
Seems like the same old story over and over again. I sold my motorbike to my brother in April 2008, I get a LLP letter from DVLA in Oct 2009 stating it wasnt SORN'd. Told them when and who I sold it to. And in Dec 2009 I get a Philips Collection Service letter with the usual on it. In no way am I paying the £80 penalty for their mistake. Bless em' ... theyve got to fund their christmas parties somehow (disclaimer:- In no way am I suggesting that the £80 penalties are being used to fund xmas parties within the DVLA, this is to avoid any legal action being taken against myself for any kind of slander, besides ... i doubt youd have chiristmas parties anyway, scrooge never did enjoy christmas & youd probably mess up the arrangements and charge you staff for the priviledge of the mistake).

Sadly they do! :rolleyes:

DVLA Crimbo Do!!! Post ur Pics and Goss! | Facebook

• 3 months later...

I am in desperate need of advice please. I sold my car beginning of april to a friend for his wife,i gave them all the necessary paperwork and repeatedly asked them about registering the car as i now have new car.

Only to receive a sign for letter today that states the car is still in my name and has been seized by the police.how do i sort out this mess?the people i sold the car to cant give me an answer and i dont want to get into trouble.would i have to pay a fine to get out of this or where do i start?as it was a "friendly" sale, there is obviously no papertrail.

PLEase help!!!

• 10 months later...

Hi Dave,

New post here about the DVLA, (DUNCES, VERY, much LIVING, AMONGUS) 1ST, informed them of a vehicle that has been SORN to them, was sent an £80 letter, then sent a copy of the SORN notice to the TROLLS. no action.

2ND, bought new car road tax expires, asked the company i bought the vehicle off where's road tax, informed they had sent info off to SWANSEA, phoned SWANSEA spoke to nice welsh girl RACHAEL, what a waste of time, asked about road tax, was informed not to contact previous owner just in case it had been sent to them, because of data protection act, gave rachael vehicle address, next day my car was clamped for no road tax sent e-mail, to said person, still not heard anything, still waiting, no wonder they live in valleys. sorry no disrespect to genuine weslh people.