Tax & Insurance question

krysus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, i've just been given a car by my brother-in-law.

I've already got a car which is taxed, mot'd, insured - the insurance is TPF&T, but also covers me to drive any other car with just third-party cover.

The new car is being re-registered under my name, no probs there.

I'm not planning on insuring the new car specifically, as my existing insurance policy covers me for 3rd party anyway. Again, fully legit...

So, what happens when it comes to renewing the tax on the second car, as the car doesn't have an associated insurance policy, just the owner/driver.

DVLA website says online tax renewal checks look for the car being insured, but in this scenario that obviously wouldn't be the case. Surely, they can't force you to insure a particular car, it should be sufficient that the driver is insured to drive that car.

How do people who own several cars get on? I doubt in all circumstances they'd have a separate policy for each car, nor a multi-car policy covering them all either.

Guest Expressit

You wil find that your insurance only allows you to drive others cars not owned by you, therefore you will have to insure it.

You will find that the 3rd party cover to drive other vehicles only applies to vehicles that are not actually yours, so you will need to insure this second car in your name.

Insuring multiple vehicles on one policy is not a problem. I have 2 motorcycles which are insured on the same policy and the cost of having the 2nd bike on the policy was not that great. There are car insurers out there who will insure more than one vehicle on the same policy, you just need to look around.

Swift do a policy where you can add a car - as you can only drive one at a time it really doesn't make too much difference to the policy (depending on what the car is obviously).

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I've already got a car which is taxed, mot'd, insured - the insurance is TPF&T, but also covers me to drive any other car with just third-party cover.

I'd say check your policy, many only cover other cars in an emergency!

And legislation has been passed to allow the 'power that be' to require ALL cars to be identified on a policy.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

I think you would need to read your terms and conditions carefully.

As Boris wrote above , The other persons car that you are driving also has to be covered with fully comprehensive insurance of the owners own policy.

I discovered this when researching for my son to drive my car and we all know how companies just love small print ;)

As Boris wrote above , The other persons car that you are driving also has to be covered with fully comprehensive insurance of the owners own policy.

I discovered this when researching for my son to drive my car and we all know how companies just love small print ;)

There is no legal requirement for this whatsoever. Individual insurance companies may require it as a contract term.

I'd say check your policy, many only cover other cars in an emergency!

And legislation has been passed to allow the 'power that be' to require ALL cars to be identified on a policy.

The legislation has been passed into law but not yet 'activated' - at this time it is not a requirement.

The cover that you are referring to is commonly referred to DOC (or driving other cars). Some insurance companies are starting to restrict this to emergency use only (without any definition of 'emergency' or who decides what is an emergency). However, this doesn't apply to the OP as DOC is always restricted to cars not owned by the policyholder.

I know that's incorrect - there is no need for the owner's policy to be Fully Comp, it could be TPF&T, or even just TP.

I know that's incorrect - there is no need for the owner's policy to be Fully Comp, it could be TPF&T, or even just TP.

You know that is incorrect....for the policy you held or for every policy for every person? at the time I wanted my son to drive my car I was advised I needed fully comp insurance on my vehicle for him to do so.

I have quoted Boris wrongly sorry Boris reading to quick in the early hours.

This is my experience, possible due to my son was a young driver or It could be an issue with my own policy or any number of reasons, therefore it is best to contact your insurer and read your terms and conditions before accepting someones advice as water tight.

After all the policy holder could be at a loss if not checking every avenue.

As we all survive on here through shared experiences. I felt my experience was beneficial to this situation. If it is of no use then im sure it can be overlooked.

Ok, i've just been given a car by my brother-in-law.

I've already got a car which is taxed, mot'd, insured - the insurance is TPF&T, but also covers me to drive any other car with just third-party cover..

Did you know? If you've got comprehensive insurance you may be able to drive someone else's car.

Not all policies have this. So you need to call and check whether it's included in yours.

• This is only third party cover. So if you crash into anything it won't cover the car you're driving. However if you crash into someone else it will pay out for their car or any injury to them.
  • It isn't designed as an every day policy. Insurers rightly caution against using this as an every day policy as the cover this as you have more limited cover. I would consider it primarily as a useful optional cover for times when you 'need it' rather than an every day type of cover. Most interestingly as you're covered for any car it is one way to get insurance to drive a much higher category car.
  • Can it be used as a cheap way to insure yourself for an expensive car? Technically, providing you don't own the car, there's usually nothing stopping you doing this on most policies, however insurers frown on it and if they find out will often try and make you pay to be added as a second driver on that insurance. I would caution against this as a policy, both because insurers are looking at blocking this cover (as so many people are doing it) and because the cover it providers is so limited as many are doing it.
  • When it doesn't apply. Most policies don't accept this as cover if i. you own the car ii. any other insurance covers you when driving it iii. the car is hired iv. your own car is no longer driveable/repairable

Have a browse round the internet, my sons use was to be on a regular basis as yours is which is possibly why I Was advised my car needed fully comprehensive insurance.

The Driving other Cars "DoC" extension provided on SOME personal lines motor policies provides indemnity to the policyholder only when driving a vehicle not owned by the policyholder and cover is restricted to Third Party Only. This extension may apply to a policy irrespective of the base cover.

There will be a wording on the certificate similar to "The policyholder may drive any motor vehicle not owned by or registered to the policyholder" cover will not be defined on the certificate but should be stated on the schedule. A certificate does not show levels of cover as it is merely a document that confirms that minimum RTA applies.

Insurers are now withdrawing this extension as the exposure is deemed to high. i.e. if a person who has this extension is used to driving standard vehicles, they can infact drive any sports/high performance vehicle, SUV etc & their insurer would be liable for any TP claim.

The purpose of this extension was/is really for emergency use but was abused.

I hope that this clears the issue up.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have a work around for this one.

Contact your insurance broker and tell them that your existing car is under repair and you are driving this second one for a while and need it covered by your insurance. They will give you a cover note which is enough for the post office to tax it for you. You need to contact your insurance again asap to get the insurance cover back to the original cover though.

And what purpose will that serve ? He still wouldn't have insurance cover, the temp vehicle would not be on the MID and he would lose cover on the primary vehicle. Insurers would also probably charge.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

only to get the tax :) .i was currently doing the same bought a van registered it in wifes name ,cos i have comp on a car ican drive any car not owned by me,hence we got tugged by norfolk plod anpr as vehicle uninsured :) ,true but as it,s the driver thats insured nfa,just a producer.so the tax has now ran out got wife insured tpft through lloyds after joining top cash back site ,£120 cashback premium of £159 so hopefully insured for £39:)

only to get the tax :) .i was currently doing the same bought a van registered it in wifes name ,cos i have comp on a car ican drive any car not owned by me,hence we got tugged by norfolk plod anpr as vehicle uninsured :) ,true but as it,s the driver thats insured nfa,just a producer.so the tax has now ran out got wife insured tpft through lloyds after joining top cash back site ,£120 cashback premium of £159 so hopefully insured for £39:)

But she needs to be the main driver in that case. If not, and you use the vehicle most of the time, then she is 'fronting'.

Or is her insurance only for her and you are still using the DOC provision of you car?

• 3 months later...