Likelihood of account closure?

PippaB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this site today thanks to a referal on the moneysavingexpert website.

I have a large overdraft with Barclays and have quite a few charges I'd like refunded, it would make a big difference to me. But saying that, I am very nervous that they might close my account.

I have no other bank accounts, I need the overdraft I have, and I also have a poor credit rating so am unlikely to get another account.

Catch 22 really.

Does anyone know of circumstances where they have responded to a refund request by actually closing the account (And thereby requiring payment of overdraft!!!). I could not afford to pay the overdraft back you see and would then also end up with no bank account at all.

Any thoughts appreciated...is it worth the risk?

I don't know how much yet, as I haven't asked for my statements yet, but I know it will be a couple of hundred at least, which I could really do with.

Many thanks, and good luck to all,

Pippa.

Banks can be very nasty. You should be able to get another basic account - try first. Before anything else, send a DPA request as in the library, see how much the charges have been then come back

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 2 months later...

I haven't gone ahead with this yet as I am very nervous, and also waiting for my new bank account paperwork to arrive. I only got approved for an Electron card, but at least will have the ability to set up direct debits and standing orders with the new account (non Barclays obviously).

I just wanted to bump this up and again ask if anyone has actually had their Barclays account closed on undertaking this process?

I am an abuser, have rarely stayed within my limit thanks to an unending cycle of charges mostly.

I have searched the forum, but couldn't find much on this topic. Obviously my life would be easier if Barclays kept my account open as I can't afford to pay the overdraft back, and I know that just because they didn't close 200 peoples' accounts doesn't mean they won't close mine...but..

I'm just enquiring out of interest more than anything.

Many thanks.

It is unlikely they will close your account, but of course there's always a possibility.

Have you worked out how much they owe you? Maybe it's enough to cover your overdraft anyway? :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

THEY CLOSED ALL MY ACCOUNTS ( 1 PERSONAL AND 2 BUSINESS) - DEFAULT AND TERMINATION NOTICES ON ALL THREE - THE REASONS FOR THIS ARE A MYSTERY AT THE MOMENT!!!!:mad:

THEY HAVE ALSO SENT ME TO DEBT RECVERY FOR 2 LOANS THAT HAD NO ARREARS ON THEM UNTIL THEY ACTIVELY PROHIBITED ME FROM MAKING MY MOST RECENT PAYMENT BY CLOSING THE ACCOUNTS ON THE DAY MY LOAN PAYMENT WAS DUE TO GO OUT!

EVEN NOW THERE ARE LESS THAN 90 DAYS ARREARS ON THEM - WHICH I BELIEVE YOU NEED BEFORE A DEFAULT CAN BE REGISTERED AGAINST YOU!

(THEY ACTUALLY SENT ME THE DEFAULT NOTICE DAYS BEFORE MY NEXT PAYMENT WAS DUE - WHY AND HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO DO THIS I AM STILL ATTEMPTING TO FIND OUT!)

I HADN'T APPLIED FOR A REFUND OF CHARGES AT THIS POINT...I SIMPLY LEFT BARCLAYS DUE TO NUMEROUS PROBLEMS (MENTIONED IN MY OWN THREAD) AND PUT A VERY DETAILED COMPLAINT LETTER IN TO HEAD OFFICE.

I'M CERTAINLY GOING TO APPLY FOR REFUNDS NOW THOUGH!!!!!!:D :D :D

MY FIRST CONTACT WITH THEM VIA COMPLAINTS WAS IN MARCH 2006.

2 LETTERS LATER AND THEY TRY TO GET RID OF ME! :twisted:

IT HASN'T WORKED THOUGH AND I THINK YOU JUST HAVE TO PERSEVERE AND FIGHT ON....ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT!:D

BARCLAYS - £9,807.75

Data Protection Act SENT - 13TH JUNE 06

PRELIMINARY SENT - 13TH JUNE 06

LBA SENT - 4TH JULY 06

:o CLAIM FOR £9,707.75 FILED - 17TH JULY 06

:mad: CLAIM SERVED 1ST TIME - 20TH JULY 06

:mad: CLAIM SERVED 2ND TIME - 22ND JULY 06

:mad: CLAIM SERVED 3RD TIME - 2ND AUGUST 06

ACKNOWLEDGEMNET OF SERVICE - 14TH AUGUST 06

DEFENCE RECEIVED - 30TH AUGUST 06

ALLOCATION QUESTIONAIRE - 18TH SEPTEMBER 06

ALLOCATED TO FAST-TRACK - 28TH SEPTEMBER 06

STANDARD LIST OF DISCLOSURE

(BY LIST) AS ON COURT ORDER - 1ST NOVEMBER 06

Sarah - any chance you could switch off the CAPS lock? :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

they havent closed my account, yet, but i have a court date set for the 28th July - upuntil the action started my landlord, also my best mate, used to get his rent in a standing order, on the same day i got paid, now it takes 2 - 3 days, and last week after 8 years of going over my limit they took my visa card, despite the fact i am now being paid more than ever and my over draft is at an all time low.

I went to the bank the other day and incredulously the advisor hadnt heard of this movement!! Really. So i explained it to him and he was inisitent that Barclays were different, they had a top legal team and would definatley win in court not to mention more money than me - no s__t theyve got more money than me. theyve got all of mine as well! , ok mate. Taxi?

Get another account. they are all horrible shysters but at least you'll feel better taking your custom elsewhere.

Hi all - thanks for the replies :)

At a rough guesstimate, I think they owe me about £400, maybe more, but def not enough to cover my overdraft - I wish!!

I have all my statements in various degrees of organised (or not!) filing, so I'm going to save myself the £10 and go through what I have and add it up myself.

Luckily I didn't have any charges before 2 years ago, so hopefully it shouldn't be such a mamoth task.

I have received all my new bank account stuff now though, so have to start taking some action now, no more excuses! I really hope Barclays don't shut me down, as you can't use an Electron card in half as many places as a normal Visa debit card, but it's about time I face facts and realise it is definitely a possibilty :(

Sarah - god that's an awful lot of messing about on their part, i'd def go against them for all your worth in that case!!

I have to be honest, I know it's my money etc but if they offer me half it will make a big difference to my account, and a small price to pay for keeping the account open.

Will def update as and when I get going.

oblong - lol - exactly how do they think they fund these amazing legal teams!! Seems to me the adviser was quite rude though...

Back to work though...even on this beautiful sunny day!!!

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks