Speed Cameras

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If her average speed exceeded the speed limit when she exited the camera zone, then each one is an offence with a minimum of 3 points each.

Absolute tosh.

There is a single offence of exceeding the speed limit for travelling between the cameras too fast.

The cameras themselves have no speed monitoring ability. Each camera reads the front VRM with a time stamp. The attached computer system calculates the average speed between the cameras and alerts if it exceeds the set limit.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

and FWIW I tried the human rights bit when a mobile camera caught me doing 53 in a 30 (don't all gasp it was a dual carriageway with underpasses and poor signage that I wasn't familiar with, but I DID check later and it was signed and at 30) I tried the 'separate letter detailing the driver but refusing to fill in the form as I hadn't been cautioned and therefore couldn't be asked to incriminate myself deliberately' method. I got another letter demanding I sign the form and stating the legislation I quoted was incorrect for speeding offences, a copy of the photos from the van (very clear) the letter left me in no confusion over the action tht would be taken if I refused to sign the form again and so I subsequently decided to plead guilty rather than add insult to injury and take a unpaid day off work. 6 points and £205 that cost on a clean licence.

The 'human rights' ploy does NOT work anymore, even if it did then.

Absolute tosh.

There is a single offence of exceeding the speed limit for travelling between the cameras too fast.

The cameras themselves have no speed monitoring ability. Each camera reads the front VRM with a time stamp. The attached computer system calculates the average speed between the cameras and alerts if it exceeds the set limit.

The overhead cameras can do you only once, if you drive through two and a are doing 47 in a 40 zone, they can only do you one.

However, the little yellow cameras at the side of the road, little yellow box, grey stick, find pics of them on the internet on fire kind of cameras, WILL do you for more than one offence.

Say you are travelling through a city centre, you go down hill, 36 in a 30 zone, FLASH. Three points.

You continue down this hill, speed now is 35, FLASH, another three points.

Don't know why but this is the case.

The other ones can average out your speed as you say, and they will do you if they smell something fishy. But the little yellow ones :@ will get you.

Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 S.28 (2):

Where a person is convicted of two or more such offences, the number of penalty points to be attributed to those of them that were committed on the same occasion is the number or highest number that would be attributed on a conviction of one of them.

So if you speed down a road and get caught by all the speed cameras on that road, it should be dealt with as a single continuous offence.

This piece of law was used in a case where a man hired a van, unaware that said van was only allowed tiotravel at a speed 10mph slower than acar in a NSL (so 50mph)

He made several trips in this van, getting caught by the same camera each time. It was held it was one continuous offence. £60 fine and 3 points.

The overhead cameras can do you only once, if you drive through two and a are doing 47 in a 40 zone, they can only do you one.

However, the little yellow cameras at the side of the road, little yellow box, grey stick, find pics of them on the internet on fire kind of cameras, WILL do you for more than one offence.

Say you are travelling through a city centre, you go down hill, 36 in a 30 zone, FLASH. Three points.

The other ones can average out your speed as you say, and they will do you if they smell something fishy. But the little yellow ones :@ will get you.

Was this not challenged successfully a couple of years ago in Brighton where there are a plethora of cameras along the see front

A motorist set off each of the cameras in succession & they tried to fine him for each separate activation

Was this not challenged successfully a couple of years ago in Brighton where there are a plethora of cameras along the sea front

A motorist set off each of the cameras in succession & they tried to fine him for each separate activation