Just a thought

supertramper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have had to tax our car this month costing us an arm and a leg, and I got to thinking about the rising costs of car tax. I think that the DVLA should introduce a direct debit system to pay for your car tax, similar to the way that many people pay for TV Licenses. Pay for this year over six months and then the first six months of next year in the second six months of this year. This system would stop many people (including myself) having to shell out large ampunts in one go - if the DD was unpaid for any reason then DVLA could issue an immediate fine, and declare the car illegal. I believe that it would help people budget better and may help towards the hundreds of untaxed vehicles out there.

What do others think?

I wouldn't trust the DVLA to organise a pee up in a brewery, let alone give them access to my bank account!!

An alternative for you is to put a certain amount aside each month into a savings account so that you have the full amount ready when your road tax is due.

When I got my car tax out in April - I thought about why don't they do a direct debit option -- I know what Rob S is saying about not trusting them, but hey I trust the council for the council tax -- so they cannot be much worse than them (can they??)

I think its a good idea :D

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

The problem with it is that if a DD is not paid out by the bank or the person who buys the tax disc cancels it, then they are still in possession of the tax disc and it is still displayed on the vehicle. DVLA will then void the tax disc and put a marker on the vehicle record to that effect. If the person still continues to drive the vehicle they will then be committing criminal offences of displaying a tax disc with intent to deceive. I can't see DVLA going with a direct debit set up because of the potential abuse of the system.

And I still wouldn't trust them with access to my bank account!:D

Ahhh...... never thought about that Rob!!

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Rob, as pointed out inthe OP the same system is used for TV's, is there really that much of a difference ?

A TV tends to be in a fairly fixed location...

The major problem with this is when the vehicle changes hands. At what point will the new owner start paying the DD and the old owner stop? Perhaps one or the other didn't pay be DD anyway. What happens when you are paying in the 'advance' stage?

I wouldn't trust the DVLA to organise a pee up in a brewery, let alone give them access to my bank account!!

An alternative for you is to put a certain amount aside each month into a savings account so that you have the full amount ready when your road tax is due.

You used to be able to buy stamps, we used to do it each month and then when the tax was due, bang it's paid for and if you had over the amount needed for your tax, you got the rest back ok again in the form of stamps, but it still went to taxing your car and you were also able to budget so much per month. Or failing that why not have a savings account and put so much into that each month and then when your tax comes up for renewal use the money from that. As I'm not sure if they still do the stamps, but thats always another way. As you've already said, I try to put some away into my ISA each month, then when it comes to taxing Gaz's and my car, we have some if not all of it for the tax.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Rob, as pointed out inthe OP the same system is used for TV's, is there really that much of a difference ?

........and you can pay for a tax disc with a cheque at the post office and walk away with the disc before the cheque has bounced/cleared..........:)

Is getting a discount for paying for the duty for 12 moths rather than 6months escaping an unfair penalty?

........and you can pay for a tax disc with a cheque at the post office and walk away with the disc before the cheque has bounced/cleared..........:)

Is getting a discount for paying for the duty for 12 moths rather than 6months escaping an unfair penalty?

If you do that DVLA will void the tax disc and put a marker on your vehicle. Should the police stop you they will then deal with the small matter of displaying a tax disc with intent to deceive.

You don't get a discount for paying for 12 months, you pay a premium for buying a 6 month tax disc.

car tax should be rid of , a small duty put on fuel or even part of which is already taken could replace the car tax hell know,s they already recover a lot of money as it is.surely it will increase the revenue for them as even illegal and foreign drivers would be paying for it.savings would be endless look at the savings at the dvla, hey and maybe more people would be able to use public transport with the money that they,d save on the car tax:) .it,s old hat and need,s to be binned,the days of bobby,s on the corner looking out for tax dodgers has long gone now you have anpr ,which even tells the plod if the vehicle is insured.so why bother .oh i forgot it,s because it,s easy money:evil: