Telephone harassment - an action plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, don't let them bully you! As soon as you submit to that, they've won!

And who are 'nco' and 'westminster'?

my truecall logs around 10 calls a day that are zapped

today it went on the blink and wil be replaced tomorrow by a new one

and how many calls have i had today when my "gate " was wide open?

youve guessed it......... Bugger all

Can I extend this discussion and ask for advice re family harrassment by Barclaycard? Whilst I am waiting for National debtline to assign me a debt manager to negotiate freezing of interest / pro rata payments, I am getting a lot of calls from creditors but Barclaycard are the most aggressive. I have goodwill payments and written to them advising that the debt manager will be in touch soon so though I ignore their calls, they know the situation.

They are continually calling my parents house even though I don't live there. My father is mentally ill, also stress for him. They are quite crafty as they don't tell them it's about debt (as OFT says they can't) but by leaving so many messages so often it's obvious to my parents they must be chasing for debt - or why else would they call 20 times a week. I have written to them ordering this harrassment to stop. Are they allowed to sell my debt to another agency (they have sent a text advisign they plan to do this) whilst I have made a complaint against them?

• 2 weeks later...

2 accounts with Cabot, both in dispute, heard nothing for a while but now getting up to 10 calls a day! I know its them as they only have my mobile number and the ringtone is the theme from Halloween, but I now answer and to date noone is on the other end of the line. It goes off after a 4/5 secs.

I filled in this form on Ofcoms site: Silent calls (when you answer the phone, there is nobody there) | Ofcom they dont investigate individual complaints but look at the wider picture. If people dont complain nothing will ever get done:)

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

2 accounts with Cabot, both in dispute, heard nothing for a while but now getting up to 10 calls a day! I know its them as they only have my mobile number and the ringtone is the theme from Halloween, but I now answer and to date noone is on the other end of the line. It goes off after a 4/5 secs.

I filled in this form on Ofcoms site: Silent calls (when you answer the phone, there is nobody there) | Ofcom they dont investigate individual complaints but look at the wider picture. If people dont complain nothing will ever get done:)

It's a robo-dialer, checking to see when you are answering your phone; the time of the calls will be logged. Strange that no agent is following them up.

Change your number.

I have deleted my call history since jan apart from cabots:) The list is huge, date, time etc wish I could print it out.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

i dont know if u can do this but speak to ur phone company and ask if they can send u a list of all recieved calls. They may want to charge for this but it will at least give u the call list.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I had a victory with Barclays and their telephone harrassment.

I wrote to them asking them why they were calling my parent's home when they knew where I lived and pointed out they if were seeking to discuss my debt with a 3rd party, this was illegal; also that they are harrassing my father who is sick.

Within 24 hours all calls - to me, to my parents, to my mobile, ceased, along with all threatening letters. Now they call me once a week, withhold their no and leave a nervous message.

• 2 weeks later...

I get calls daily from Debitas (the 0115 tel. no) and although I don't answer, every time I use 1471 there is yet another missed call from those people. It is driving me up the wall! I have made an arrangement on the 0845 tel no and still the idiots on the 0115 tel no call 3 times every day! I tried to call them back on this no. but it wouldn't connect me and gives an automated message telling you to call 0800 ... if you want to speak to a Debitas agent. I want to scream at them!

I have emailed via that email address given on here for complaining about Debitas and I'm really tempted to call the 0845 tel. no and give them a piece of my mind.

i dont know if u can do this but speak to ur phone company and ask if they can send u a list of all recieved calls. They may want to charge for this but it will at least give u the call list.

I tried that with BT; they said it wasn't possible. Why, I don't know.

I get calls daily from Debitas (the 0115 tel. no) and although I don't answer, every time I use 1471 there is yet another missed call from those people. It is driving me up the wall! I have made an arrangement on the 0845 tel no and still the idiots on the 0115 tel no call 3 times every day! I tried to call them back on this no. but it wouldn't connect me and gives an automated message telling you to call 0800 ... if you want to speak to a Debitas agent. I want to scream at them!

I have emailed via that email address given on here for complaining about Debitas and I'm really tempted to call the 0845 tel. no and give them a piece of my mind.

The only way around this, unlesss you get the Truecall unit, is to send them a harassment letter and also citing misuse of the Telecomms Act and breaches of the Administartion of Justice Act and state that you are getting their local Trading Standards involved. Though they will probably ignore that initailly, since they will view it as nothing more than hot air and that you probably won't act upon it, the visit from the TS will put their gas at a peep.

I did this with Blair, Oliver & useless and they shut up pronto. Of course it all statred again when one of the debts got passed on to anotherbunch of clowns and it all started again. I just changed the number.

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a post I saw recently, but lost, which gives some indication of how many calls may be considered to be harrassment.

OFT guidelines and the AoJ Act are non specific.

I'm preparing a complaint, but in the past have had the response that they have a right to call a reasonable number of times, so I want to preempt that in the complaint. What exactly is reasonable?

I've just reviewed my online call manager, which logs and saves wavs of voicemail messages, and one particular company rang once every single day for 14 days (excluding Sundays) leaving a message with my name and their company name (clearly a DCA) which anyone could have heard.

I feel this is excessive!??

Similarly another company rang 4 times a day for 5 days..again left identifying messages.

These don't come to my home phone, but to my online voip, but they don't know that! ;)

Elsa x

See post 71 of this thread.

I threw this at them, a couple of months ago:-

' I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.'

The thing is, they'll just ignore it unless you get a lwayer's letter sent to them. Remember to also get the Trading Standards in the DCA's area involved.

Hi Flyboy,

Thanks for that :)

The OC have already had the harrassment letter, but have failed to pass on my contact prefs to the DCA, although OC still own the debt. A CC which has no CCA, in dispute, failed to supply any SAR docs after 4 months, sent a doorstep collector (despite doorstep bogoff letter) who blatantly lied and caused distress..all complained about, all ignored or lamely attempted to justify..so I'm preparing a final spectacular sod off complaint listing exactly how incompetent they are, then off to the OFT /ICO with all the evidence. Happy days! :)

hi every one just a question , i have a few ongoing ppi and bank charges issues , being sorted by myself at the moment, a couple of said companys even though my alleged debt is smaller than what they owe me , i constanly recieve telephone calls ref what my alleged and complete mis represented debt .

i know they go over the top in harrassing by telephoneand it is distressing to keep saying but "read my file , you owe me money stop calling bla bla"

so i have kept a record etc , wrote to them saying you are causing much trauma and once my claim is delt with i shall be seeking a further claim ref this trauma the calls have slowed and frequency too.

now not wishing to back off now they are in retreat ive requested all information from their data controller ref the times dates and frequency that they have on my telephone numbers (when they have called i want a copy of their own record so i can use against them ) under the data protection act . am i barking up the wrong tree or am i on to something , perhaps some one could answer:)

Charley, I think you can request a copy of the communication log held by the creditor. This should show the date and times they have telephoned. Although you might find that automated calls arent recorded !.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi citizen b. am i right in saying its covered by the data protection act as opposed to the communications act, because some one somewhere has instructed inputed the call frequency and some times they are from the call centre abroad and some from closer to home.and bec its info about you they must keep info ref all this :)i have sent several letters to various different addresses of a well known company all to the data controller

Charley, it is my understanding that this WOULD be covered by the DAP.

I think you would only use the communication act if you were complaining about numerous automated calls. Of course if you notice an unacceptable amount on the communications log then you could then make a further complaint. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thankyou , has anyone taken this route do you know and had any results:)ooops mean thankyou

Not off hand I dont, If I come across anyone, I will let you know. :)

BCOBS

many thanks ok then i will keep you posted as to any results :DSARand tenner sent , i have bombarded all the offices of this particular bank and card company also , have sent about six letters to each companys data officer , hassle them turn the tables

Edited by charley2212