ADVENT Laptop broken screen anyone experienced same ?

rk22lh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i have experienced a few things with my laptop it is an advent 4489 and just 2 weeks on having the laptop the right mouse button went funny, every time i used the touch pad or the mouse buttons it would just right click so i had to disable the touchpad and use an external mouse with it. I also found that the wireless is not very good and it keeps on disconnectiong itself and it takes me almost half an hour to get the connection back. The keyboard also i found sometimes does not work and restarting the laptop does not always work. just last month i turned off me laptop and put it right under my bed since there was no where else to put it since it was late at night, the following night i turned on my laptop only to find that the screen was cracked and it was turning black. i dont no how this happened since nothing had touched it all day. i went to PCWORLD to to see if they could help sonce that is where i brought it from and they said that it was accidental damage and they cant fix it. I then went to currys to see if i would get different and they sent it away. Today i got it back and everything is the same but the screen is worse then when it was 3 weeks ago. I now have to write to currys or some one to see if they can try and fix the screen or put a new one on which i have to pay for. i have looked at F1 new me and they said that a new screen would me 105 pounds plus vat plus delivery so it will be bout 120 - 140 by the time the screen and every thing is fixed which if you add another 60 on to that is how much the comp cost in the first place. if any one could help it will be really good since it is i think an manufacters fault and they will not amit to that which is a same.

thankyou

Edited by tiggytig

• 2 weeks later...
bought an advent 8109 from pc world last feb and now one of the hinges has started to break away and when i tried to contact them about this they said it wasn't their problem:evil: and it came under manufacturers guarantee so i ahve been looking around the web for contact info for advent but can't seem to find any, can anyone help

This seems to be a ongoing fault with the advent hinges, they appear to sieze up and become stiff, so much that the plastic lid cant take the strain and cracks, mine has done the same thing, I will keep a watch on this thread to see how p.c world react, as for me, i managed to buy a secondhand lid from ebay, but havent got round to fitting it yet..

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than buying a branded PC, have you ever thought of getting it from hardware stores such as Dabs, Ebuyer etc?

Not only do you save money, but you get the choice to customise and tweek your computer to what you feel would be the ideal machine for your price. They also sell laptops and many other electrical items, so its worth a try.

Edited by yorkshirepc

No Commercial links in signatures please.

Rather than buying a branded PC, have you ever thought of getting it from hardware stores such as Dabs, Ebuyer etc?

Not only do you save money, but you get the choice to customise and tweek your computer to what you feel would be the ideal machine for your price. They also sell laptops and many other electrical items, so its worth a try.

Also, when you come to return it, your subject to the RMA procedure, restocking fees, and testing without you present.

There's a flip-side to everything.

Your right renzokuken. There are advantages and disadvantages in both branded and unbranded. I'm sure PC World do the same thing, i.e. they test without you being present, don't they?

Depends on the shop,

Although if a customer asks to be present while testing is done, they are obligated to allow them.

Most testing areas in PC world stores are behind plexiglass enclosures, meaning customers can see them anyway. In the case of the currys i work in, we always offer the customer a chance to walk around the counter and take a look if we find their product to be working fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against buying online, I buy alot of my pc components online. I just think that there's something to be said for buying direct from a shop, if anything goes wrong.

Edited by Renzokuken

IMHO the biggest percentage of customers that PC World will have are those who don't know much about computers and therefore they tend to go to stores which are well-known. Even if a techy bought them in front of the computer and explained in GEEK TERMS a problem, the customer most likely will just agree as they won't understand.

No Commercial links in signatures please.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I have bought a Advent lap top and yes the screen has cracked three weeks after use, my son was useing it and said : "i don't know how it happened dad"

Could you tell me please, what was the outcome of the small claims court? thanks. PC world were absolutley useless, and said it would cost me £229 to fix. Bast rds.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, its very hard for a screen to crack via heat transferrance or temperature or pretty much anything other than pressure damage.

A typical LCD Screen is comprised of several layers of reflective material and glass, with one liquid layer; these layers are held in suspension by a non pressured metal frame encasing each layer. It is not possible for the glass to break unless severe pressure is applied by external measures. Even under extreme high or low temperatures the glass will not crack. The LCD screen itself is low voltage with no electrical compoenents that can cause this even in the event the laptops multiple internal fuses were bypassed, any compoenent failure that could be caused is insufficient to do damage to an LCD screen to this extent.

oh and to add, some people are under the illusion that some screws can be over tightened to cause the screen to crack, this is not correct, there are no screws that can be tightened to cause this, the option i asume you are looking for is an inherrant fault at the time of manufacture, im sure these do happen, but the problem is, and having repaired many many laptops over the years i have only had 1 damage report where i could categorically state it was a manufacturing defect, and old fujitsu i beleive it was (dont buy them!)

hmm its been a known issue on one brand that an over tightened screw can damage the screen

cant for the life of me remember the make and model tho and it was several years ago

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

yes i believe it was the Fujitsu i referred to earlier, terrible build quality, the hinges were tightend too much, but it was the pressure you exert when opening that actually damaged it because the hinges were too tight, although still an inherrant fault not a screw problem per-se as there are no screws whatsoever in the actualt screen.

the problem is proving it was hinge related, im my case the one i repaired the screw was 2mm too long, so it was quite simple.

then there was the acer 6930 whree a ribo n the back cab caused cracking

then theres the advent verona which is just a poor build overall

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: