weird calls from 0701 777 0000

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just another thought-if your current provider cannot help try contacting OFCOM and report the problem to them.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

It is very possibly a marketing call or 'cold call' from a 3rd party mobile dealer who will try to upgrade you or offer an unbelievable deal! They have to now display a number whne calling you (and they tend to be in strings similar to the one you quote), but there is no ruling to say that you can actually ring them back on it!

If it is the case, you may have been put onto an auto dialler at their end and you will get calls at different hours until they finally manage to speak to you!

Anything I post is my own opinion and views based on experience. My posts may not represent the views of my Employer, work collegues, or my Mum, i thought them up all by myself!

It's a call centre - I just had a call today. By the accent the guy phoning sounded like they were calling from the Indian subcontinent. It was a very poor quality line.

He claimed to be calling on behalf of "GFC" (Global Financial Centre, or something - but see the note below. His voice wasn't very clear, though. I asked what their number was. He said that he was "Not authorised to give the number out". I asked to speak to his supervisor, and after a muffled conversation out of my earshot, he put the phone down.

I had a look around trying to see who "GFC" were. There is a GFC who've bought Google Adwords. I phoned them and they said that it's nothing to do with them - "they've had absolutely loads of calls" from people complaining, and said that it was nothing to do with them. So the chances are that it's some dodgy outfit (which could be located in the UK, India, or somewhere else entirely) trying to separate you from your money.

Also - I certainly wouldn't phone an 07 number back - calls to such "personal numbers" will be charged at a higher rate than normal ones and are designed to make money for the supplier of the number.

I had a similar call. He purported to be from the Department of Finance for the Govt offering me a loan! Very worrying!

12-03-07 Halifax Received £1800

05-06-07 Halifax II Small Claim Served for £2503

Capital One - Won £768

Halifax Credit Card - Won £756

• 2 months later...

It's conmen

Numbers starting in 070 are premium rate.

When you call back to find out who called, you hear a beep or "please wait" and them more ringing - you are being charged for listening to that ringing.

I've had it a few time. Clicked on after receiving my phone bill!!!

NEVER CALL 0 7 0 !!!

Unfair penalty charges reclaimed from Barclays - £700; BarclayCard - £380 + £132 extra; Style (RBOS) - £245 - County Court Judgement

against RBOS awarded - Judgement transferred to Registers of Scotland - Sheriff Officer (Bailiffs) action taken.

Travel insurance claim with Alpha (URV) pursued through the Financial Ombudsman - £704

It's conmen

Numbers starting in 070 are premium rate.

No they are not. Numbers commencing 09 are premium rate, 070 calls are charged at various rates, but they are NOT classified as 'Premium' however they are not mobiles either. The callers is simply 'presenting' a virtual number to comply with the regulations, but use VOIP and are located abroad, making enforcement difficult. The numbers they dial are computer contrrolled so they dial out number blocks, so being on the TPS preference list won't stop them.

I'm getting loads of these calls too.

I "put the on hold", lay the phone down somewhere and get on with my day while they wait for me to come back.

One actually held for 45 minutes.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Recently I came accross a frequent callers number on my telephone and wrote it down and then typed it into my computer. Guess where I ended up?

At the CAG website! Some women was complaining about them pestering her and they were pestering me too.

Funny thing was the caller often left a voice message that said " I would be obliged if you would call me at your earliest convenience! Just a ploy to phone them up. It is a finance company so I wrang them up and told them to stop pestering me. Which they have since done.

• 2 weeks later...

An internet search reveals that there are a number of unhappy people. Companies named include AMI (American Megatrend) and FlexTel (who seem to be flogging this number on their website).

I wouldn't worry about who it is - probably just [problematic] / surveys etc.

GFC stand s for 'Group of Finance Companies' or so I have been told by numerous people who regularly call me from there. They are touting for loans/mortgages etc. The usual pattern is that they will ask for all your personal and financial details before stating that a consultant will call you to give you the 'favourable interest rates' they can offer you.

My advice is to either play with them and waste their time for a while or hang up, it is unlikely they will be able to offer a better deal than you can get in this country by asking around.

CHeers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Fob off now rec'd to the prelim

Copy of fob off now rec'd as response to LBA!

Full repayment of all charges since 1997 now received.

Account Closed

Donation made :)

Hi, If you speak to the BT dept that deals with unwanted or nuisance calls and ask them about a "Call Blocker" its marketed by a company in Worcester, costs about £50.00 and is worth its weight in gold. Stops all automated calls. Gives only one ring and they can't get through, you don't even have to get off your chair to see who it is, you know you don't want to speak to them. Friends and family can bypass it, but not automated calls. It's Great!!!

Had them on the phone again today, this time they also admitted to being part of FHS (what is it with the 3 letter acronyms?) Financial Help Services are a debt management company who would dearly love to help you all out with consolidation loans offering "fabulously low interest rates" :roll:

It was a quiet day in the office today, so I strung them along for a while, then got bored and left them on hold while while I went out for lunch. They were gone when I got back, I wonder if they will call again tomorrow - idiots

Cheers

Prelim sent May '06

LBA sent June '06

Fob off now rec'd to the prelim

Copy of fob off now rec'd as response to LBA!

Full repayment of all charges since 1997 now received.

Account Closed

Donation made :)

• 2 years later...

It's silent because it was an automated dialler.

It dials x number of numbers at a time. When you picks up it looks for a free person in a group of people their end for x seconds. If it can't find one free in that time it will hang up as it costs them money to keep you on the line.

That's why it's silent.