BBC picks up on A+L closing accounts

Guest mc661
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest mc661

17:25BST

so pretty recent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5056882.stm

Alliance & Leicester bank has decided to close the current accounts of people who have sued it for imposing supposedly unfair bank charges.

Some customers who had got their overdraft penalty charges refunded have been told their accounts will be closed in 30 days.

In recent months, the number of people suing their current account providers regarding overdraft fees has increased.

The bank said the customers had clearly not accepted its terms and conditions.

"As it is clear that you do not accept certain aspects of the terms and conditions for the operation of your account, we regret that we are unable to continue to offer you banking facilities," the bank said in its letter to the customers.

Under the UK banking code, Alliance & Leicester has the right to close the accounts.

Campaign against high charges

Consumer group Which? estimates 1 in 4 consumers face unauthorised overdraft fees at an annual cost of £3bn.

The group has encouraged consumers hit with "unfair and excessive" charges to take court actions.

A recent BBC News website investigation revealed that nearly 200 customers of UK banks and building societies have been refunded their unauthorised overdraft fees.

Recently - and unexpectedly - the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) ripped into the banking industry's charging regime.

Charges, the regulator argued, "should only reflect the administrative costs of dealing with the default," as it criticised charges for credit card late payments. The OFT has said the same principle should apply to default charges on overdrafts.

Saw that.

Not a good message for the timorous. But as many people have said;

a) make sure you have a parachute account.

b) If they are that bad, why would you want them as a banker?

A recent BBC News website investigation revealed that nearly 200 customers of UK banks and building societies have been refunded their unauthorised overdraft fees.

Pretty crap research - An even more recent investigation (clicking the BAG Survey button just a minute ago) shows me it's nearly 700...

• Haha 1

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

Guest mc661

well the research is by auntie beeb (aka crapita) so you can expect it to be wrong.

I'm wondering if this new A+L practice of closing accounts post-SCC claim could not be construed as a punitive measure resultant from customers not 'managing their account within the terms and conditions' - to paraphrase the bank, although the T&Cs themselves are unlawful. I've got a consumer law book winging my way in the next few days, definately something to look into.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

What about an injunction against the bank for Retalitory action

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Hi all

Seems simple to me, just change bank account. You really want to stay with them after you have threatened (taken) legal action and they have refunded you?

A&L will pay you back. You save on charges (as long as you are good) with your new account and A & L have one less "CUSTOMER" to rip off.

Just my opinion

Paul

Having successfully got £823.00 back from (the money-grabbing shysters that are) Alliance and Leicester (see here for the full story... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=687), they finally closed my account today.

Fortunately I had opened a Smile (Coop) Account which was v. easy to switch to and they sort out the transfer of all of your DD's, SO's etc... The only slight annoyance has been forgetting my new pin number today, meaning I had to borrow a tenner from a mate for beer after work. ;)

PJ.x

There is something on Radio 4 at midday today, with someone from A&L and also from a certain website.;)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Money Box, Radio4 : 12:05pm today (Sat 10-Jun).

Listen via the interwebnet; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/index.shtml?logo

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

Having successfully got £823.00 back from (the money-grabbing shysters that are) Alliance and Leicester (see here for the full story... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=687), they finally closed my account today.

Fortunately I had opened a Smile (Coop) Account which was v. easy to switch to and they sort out the transfer of all of your DD's, SO's etc... The only slight annoyance has been forgetting my new pin number today, meaning I had to borrow a tenner from a mate for beer after work. ;)

PJ.x

Dude, I'm shocked!

Sitting on all that filthly lucre, and still havin to tap your mates?

Hope you bought your mate a beer out of the tenner, :cool: .

Just about to go and read your thread, but it certainly sounds as though congrats are in order.

What about an injunction against the bank for Retalitory action

This is precisely what you can do.

A&L and Nationwide have both laid themselves open tot his with their anncouncements.

It is a fairly straightforward process.

I am trying to put togother a FAQ and a template.

If you are starting a court claim and would to include an injunction then you should.

A&L are basically saying that if you approach your own justice system then we will punish you!!!

Astonishing that they can dare to say this so blatantly and so publicly.

I expect that the courts would not be impressed and would be only too pleased to offer their protection to anyone trying to seek a judicial settlement.

There is something on Radio 4 at midday today, with someone from A&L and also from a certain website.;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/shows/rpms/radio4/moneybox.ram - requires Real Player.

Just sat and listened to this. I did say I thought the commentator sounded a bit skeptical in the conversation with whomever it was from this site (BF, that you?), but then I sat and listened to the A&L spokes-drone. I actually lol'd. Really, I know every now and then I'll post a PMSL or a LOL - but I was actually sitting cackling with laughter at the A&L spokesdrone's replies to the questions.

EG:

Commentator: "So, if it doesn't cost £50, how can it be lawful?"

A&L: "We believe that our charges are both reasonable and lawful."

If that isn't 'toeing the company line' I don't know what is.

:D :o :roll:

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Never mind lol, mine was a slightly more esoteric c|n>k* at this bit;

Q. "so why not fight one claim and test your position in court"

A. "although we're right, we'd prefer not to...."

* Coffee through nose over keyboard

There's also a "Have Your Say" page here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/5065886.stm

Some of the comments are typical of the "I manage my account well, blah blah blah" stuff, so I just sent the following in, let's see if it gets published ;)

What really winds me up is when a charge for a bounced cheque/dd/so ends up taking you into an unauthorised overdraft and then the bank charges you another £25 for that (and another £25 if it stays that way for 5 days, and another £25 if you cross into another statement month, and another £25 if you're 5 days into the new statement month)!

The problem then is that these charges send you into a never-ending spiral - being short the following month due to fees, the likelihood of incurring more fees is increased, etc.. etc..

I successfully claimed back over £1300 of fees, interest & court costs from A&L and am now going to take on every institution I've had dealings with over the last 6 years. I'll be glad when my account's forcibly closed with A&L (yup, I've had the notice) - good riddance to an awful bank, and I've got another account setup already with a far more understanding & customer-focused institution.

Good luck to those of you that manage to keep your accounts in perfect order - "I'm alright Jack" seems to definitely be the order of the day for you. I just hope that one day you find yourselves in the same boat as the less well-off that have had financial difficulties and your bank treats you just the same.

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

I started to read some of the comments and actually became quite sad.

The brainwashing has clearly scored a deep scar across our society -"I'm alright jack" should not be the norm, it should be the exception. Banks have a lot to answer for in pursuit of their relentless greed.

Most people don't even realise that what they are saying is "If you're skint, or have fallen on hard times, then you deserve all you get."

Next they'll be saying things like "Get oorrrfff my laaaaand" and brandishing shotguns at kids crossing a field.

Now, forgive me, but I thought this was the 21st century, not the 1800's.

I go to great efforts to manage my bank accounts both in the UK and here in Spain so why should I pay for those who cannot be bothered? I hope the banks not only close the accounts of customers who challenge these charges but that they also pass details to other banking institutions so that these people find that they are unable to open an account with any other bank.

To the people that talk of borrowing money without permission - what about when the bank does exactly that. If I don't have enough cash to pay for something, then it is bounced and is a matter for me and the person I am paying. I don't need a bank to come in and make it worse by forcing me to 'lend' them money (and it would be a loan, as I would MAKE SURE I get it back ;-) ).

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Well I got published on the BBC :D

Except they used some "editorial discretion" and only published:

I successfully claimed back over £1,300 of fees, interest & court costs from my bank and am now going to take on every institution I've had dealings with over the last six years. I'll be glad when my account's forcibly closed - good riddance to an awful bank. I've got another account set up already with a far more understanding and customer-focused institution. Good luck to those of you that manage to keep your accounts in perfect order. I just hope that one day you find yourselves in the same boat as the less well-off that have had financial difficulties and your bank treats you just the same.

Michael, Swindon

I did get in a quote box for the first time ever though:

start_quote_rb.gif I'll be glad when my account's forcibly closed - good riddance to an awful bank end_quote_rb.gif

Michael, Swindon

Shame they missed out the important bit, about the bank's own charge putting you into unauthorised overdraft and the spiral of charges after that. Some of the recently added quotes bring a bit more balance to the discussion too :)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

so much for unbiased bbc, what was wrong with what they edited out?

I could perhaps understand the "I'm alright Jack" comment being edited out, but I'm with you on the rest....:confused:

Cheers

Michael

I think with the bbc its a case of looking like they are serving the public. Most people looking at the comments page would think its all innocent until you hear of someone who has had a moderated post or a post that hasnt showed up.

The bbc are on the same game as these banks tho, preying on the vulnerable so its no surprise.

I received my cheque for £92.50 today with a letter stating they will be contacting me in the near future to discuss further (most likely to close my account)

I know this sounds terrible, but I really dont want them to. Except for the charges, OH & I have been happy with A&L.

Has anyone written a letter to A&L asking them to reconsider, and has this worked? We have an exceptional history with them otherwise (the overdraft that one time was due to a miscalculation on my part). I'm thinking of contacting them as a customer and asking them to keep my account open. Going to another account would be really inconvenient at the moment. What do ya'll think?

You could try the softly softly approach as it was a small amount, or if you look on the A&L forum Bankfodder started a thread call Account Closures, which suggest ways forward.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.