Consumer Credit Act 1974 -HELP PLEASE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I sent the following letter to a DCA :-

With reference to the above agreement, I would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77-79), I am entitled to receive a copy of the credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00, which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand a copy of the credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

We look forward to hearing from you.

I've had a standard 'debt on hold for 30 days whilst we investigate' response from them.

Am I right in believing that if they have not supplied me this information within 12 days, its not legally enforceable?

Can someone please kindly reply and advise?

Thanks!

If they have not replied within 12 days the debt is in dispute and they cannot add interest or charges, nor can they assign it to someone esle, out default notices on you, etc. They have 30 days in which to supply a copy of the properly executed (ie signed) agreement and if they don't they commit a criminal offence and the debt is unenforceable.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Hi.

i'm new to the site and not sure if this is the right place to post.

In decemebr last year I sent off for a copy of my credit agreement - I waited the 12 working days plus 30 days time limit. I wrote to the debt company 1st credit and told them they had committed an offence by not sending me the credit agreememt in within the time scale. I also sent a letter to TSB, who the original debt was with teling them the same. I also sent a letter to the OFT telling them I had had no response.

I heard nothing else - This week I got a etter from a solicitor with a copy of the credit agreement. Is this now enforcable now it has appeared - even though it was late and I made a complaint?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mandy :-)

It's enforceable if it's enforceable, if you see what I mean :rolleyes:

It must have your signature and all the terms prescribed in the regulatins - oterwise it is not enforceable. Perhaps you could post it here (personal details removed) so we can have a look.

Mandy

That agreement is enforceable only if pages 1 & 2 are the same document - part of te same page or back and front of the same page. Also they don't have "Your right to cancel" so they should have sent you this within 7 days - did they?

Mandy

That agreement is enforceable only if pages 1 & 2 are the same document - part of te same page or back and front of the same page. Also they don't have "Your right to cancel" so they should have sent you this within 7 days - did they?

Hi,

I'm not sure that they did. The loan was taken out in 2006 -- I was ill at the tme and honestly don't remember signing for it . I had an over draft with tsb. They sent me out this loan application to clear the overdraft.

• 7 months later...

does anyone have details regarding the tv documentary (not sure which channel) of about two months ago concerning a couple from the midlands (I think) who used the CCA to wipe out their debts, only to come a cropper because they then went to court over some issue?

Edited by fredlenard
forgot to say thanks and happy new year

Hi fredlenard

Welcome to CAG

If you are referring to the Rankines (which I guess you probably are) they tried to use the CCA to avoid legitimate debts (in fact debts, it seems, specifically entered into with the intent of avoiding them on that basis). They didn't lose because they went to court about something else. IMHO, tHey were jolly lucky not to be done for fraud.

CAG is very happy to help people deal with debts and with creditors but we cannot condone avoidance of legitimate debts.

• 9 months later...