Proof of posting/reciept, is it really neccessary

djweeble
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've noticed numerous posts in the forum that say the banks haven't replied to letters sent to them, including a few about recorded delivery letters being "undelivered".

This set me wondering,

Some time ago I had a fight on my hands with a bunch of financial leeches (who shall remain nameless) that bought a debt from one of my credit card companies. I work mainly abroad for long term contracts, and was out of the UK when the case was put in front of the court, I knew nothing of it until I returned to the UK and found the pile of papers on the doormat !

I was fortunate enough to get the CCJ set asside on the grounds of non delivery, but a point that came up was that the courts automatically assume the papers delivered 7 days after posting whether you reply or not, plus the courts do not used recorded mail, so they cannot proove delivery one way or the other.

With this in mind, is recorded delivery really neccessary ? desirable, Yes I think so, but neccessary...........

Could we not just do the same as the courts, assume delivery and proceed regardless ?

Any comments on this.....

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

I would have thought its better to play safe and sorry and get anything official recorded/signed for at the other end.

I can understand why courts dont do it as not cost effective if you weigh the odds of something being lost vs the extra cost. This would add up to a reasonable sum and also means someone has to be at the other end to sign, not neccesarily the case if its going to someone who is working etc etc.

Whereas you can assume there will be someone at the bank to sign for delivery.

When the PO says a Recorded Delivery letter is "undelivered", it means it's lost! Recorded Delivery is not secure. It is only handled differently to ordinary 1st/2nd Class post when it arrives at the delivery sorting office. To ensure delivery send it Special Delivery. It costs more but IS secure and the Post Office does perform if it's late.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

• 13 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks