My Case against Natwest

cakey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a little tip, with natwest banking online you can download a full copy of your statment into excel , when you do that you can filter down to just items that are charges then do an auto sum to calculate the figure.

Not sure if its any help - scared the living daylights out of me, been charged over £2000 in charges since September...

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little tip, with natwest banking online you can download a full copy of your statment into excel , when you do that you can filter down to just items that are charges then do an auto sum to calculate the figure.

Not sure if its any help - scared the living daylights out of me, been charged over £2000 in charges since September...

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim your rights as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

well I've sent the first letter asking for my statements - dread to say think it will be a higher figure than that.

One question, if say I went over my limit by say £70 would a charge of £35 by natwest be classed as excessive? - I've been charged between £35 and £38 per charge by natwest and they also do not even write to say they are over charging me (they sent a letter to say they would not send me any letters just charge me each time)

well I've sent the first letter asking for my statements - dread to say think it will be a higher figure than that.

One question, if say I went over my limit by say £70 would a charge of £35 by natwest be classed as excessive? - I've been charged between £35 and £38 per charge by natwest and they also do not even write to say they are over charging me (they sent a letter to say they would not send me any letters just charge me each time)

The fact that a charge is excessive has nothing to do with the amount by which you are over your lmit. It is the fact that it is more than the losses suffered by your trangression.

The fact that a charge is excessive has nothing to do with the amount by which you are over your lmit. It is the fact that it is more than the losses suffered by your trangression.

Hi

2 Questions which I don't think are covered in the FAQ:

1: Once I have won my charges back from my bank (being an optimist here) where do we go from here. E.G If I choose to conitnue using the bank from then on what happens about charges will they stop charging them?

2. Not always being the patient type.. I am awaiting bank statements from until then is it worth me just going for the charges I know of for the last six months (I can get this from my online bank) and then go back further once I have those back ? (its a significant figure as some of you know!) Or should I learn some patience??!??

Thanks

Hi

2 Questions which I don't think are covered in the FAQ:

1: Once I have won my charges back from my bank (being an optimist here) where do we go from here. E.G If I choose to conitnue using the bank from then on what happens about charges will they stop charging them?

2. Not always being the patient type.. I am awaiting bank statements from until then is it worth me just going for the charges I know of for the last six months (I can get this from my online bank) and then go back further once I have those back ? (its a significant figure as some of you know!) Or should I learn some patience??!??

Thanks

They may close your account so the question may not arise.

Yes they are likely to keep on applying the charges. They are very slow on the uptake.

You would be best off waiting and doing it all at one go. I have a strong feeling that you can't keep on going back to the ocurt for more but I can't find an authority for this at present.

On the other hand, you can start negotiating for it piecemeal.

They may close your account so the question may not arise.

Yes they are likely to keep on applying the charges. They are very slow on the uptake.

You would be best off waiting and doing it all at one go. I have a strong feeling that you can't keep on going back to the ocurt for more but I can't find an authority for this at present.

On the other hand, you can start negotiating for it piecemeal.

Hvae just come off the phone from Natwest Customer relations:

Customer Relations Unit number is: 0800 015 4212

Was asking the address to send a DPA request was informed they can send you all your statements for £5 per request - e.g if you asked today for all your statements for the last 5 years on x account it would be £5, if yo then phoned back and said back another year that would cost another £5.

Have been told it will take 6 working days max! Seems a quicker way than the DPA request and cheaper. Will let you know the progress!

I have rang Natwest today and been told they only charge £5 per request no matter how much! Sadly I don't have any monet in my account atm but will be going in, paying the £5 and getting my 6 years worth sent. No need for the £10!

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Well after getting my statements via the historic statements route (cost £5) I am starting! Unfortunatly I have two accounts with natwest so the one with the most charges they sent me all my statements as its a newer account but the other account despite promising statements for the last 6 years they only sent 2!!! Typical!

Anyways sent of the pre-warning letter from the library to Natwest As I have a Advantage Gold account and what I thought was some form of relationship with my local bank manager I personally took the letter into him with 14 days to respond, so far its been one week and nothing not even an acknowledgment of the letter.

Will keep you all posted as to how this pans out.

NB this is for £4364 including interest

Have a question have now calculated that Natwest have also taken a further £245 from my other account with them held at a different branch. Should I see these as two seperate cases and send a seperate letter about these charges to the other Natwest branch?

I count that there are at least 4 threads running all dealing with your claim against NatWest.

This makes it all confusing and hardwork.

Please will you adopt one thread and I will lock the others.

You don't need to open new threads all the time.

Ok, so have now sent one pre warning letter to one branch of natwest and am hand delivering another letter about a seperate account with natwest to the branch where that is held. Will update on progress if they actually bother to respond.

I am assuming they will string this out as long as they can?

Yes.

I have had 3 letters so far from them, and the only one that wasn't just waffle had 1 sentence saying they were sending me my statements.

As far as I'm concerned, the moment I have gone through the statements, it's Moneyclaim time. And if I don't get those statements within the 40 days, I'll complain to the IC.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Latest news: I hand delivered that letter today but thought I would try to speak to them about it first, so asked the advisor if I could speak to her about the "penalty charges" on my account.

She was more than happy to, when I asked why the penalty charges for failed DD's were £38 she said because that was the bank charges. So I asked if she could break it down for me why, to which she responded to cover the admin charge... so I said thats a lot for admin isn't it so her response was oh and to stop you doing it again... !!! So obviously I told her they weren't allowed to do that, and it then moved to me passing her the letter to give to her manager she asked me to wait why she went to speak to her manager about it.... when she came back all of a sudden she did not want to speak and simply said the letter would be passed to head office, it was like she had been told to not say anything.

Did you get her name?

Write a letter immediately to her and a copy to the manager confirming the conversation as verbatim as possible.

Send it special deivery and keep a copy of course.

Hi my first post, i love this site.

Just got off the phone with Natwest asked for last 6 years of printed statements, can you believe they asked me what i wanted them for!!! Can't think why :twisted:

They told me 5 to 10 working days and a £5 charge. No need for DPA at all.

M_J_ vs. Smile [£679] - Settled in Full at MCOL stage 19/11

The point of getting the DPA is to get a record of all transactions on your account, including any manual interventions that there might have been

- the bank can't then claim that the charges include a charge for manual intervention if the DPA shows there haven't been any on your account. If all you have is your statements you won't be able to prove that there has been no manual interventions should they use this as a defence in court.

Think I am right here, but please correct me if I am mistaken anyone...

Halifax - DPA sent 03/03/06.

Prelim Letter - Sent 27/03/06 ignored.

LBA sent 10/04/06 - Ignored

Moneyclaim filed - 26.04.06

Acknowledgement received 3rd May. Halifax state they intend to defend.

Halifax Settled in Full - 17 May 2006

If you've found this post helpful, I would be grateful if you could click on the 'Scales of Justice' button in the top right corner of this post.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks