Mortgage charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Zootscoot,I have only posted a fewtimes on this site but use it for info. I have tried to find out about mortgages charges but get lost on the site (me thick!!) - we have had our mortgage about 22 years and in that time have had financial difficulties.We know we have been charged for late payments,we were once "fined" for being in arrears! Can we now claim some of these back and is it the same procedure as with banks. also how far can we go back? Appreciate your help.Thanks.;)

Hi SB,

I've moved your post to create your own thread. If you want the title changing let me know.

Can you tell me who your mortgage company is as it is safer to go after some than others. Regarding the question of how far back you can claim, potentially any length if you can succeed in raising s.32 of the Limitions Act.

Although the normal limitaion period for mortgages is 12 years if the charges were added to the loan or 6 years if you paid the charges in addition to your monthly instalments or added to any arrears.

All the best

Zoot

I have been in a similar position as SB with my old mortgage provider Bank of Ireland where I have been charged for late payment and £30 a month for being in arrears so would be interested in finding out how,if at all, I can go about claiming these back.

Thanks

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

Thanks Zootscoot, its Nationwide.

As far as we can remember we have had nothing extra to pay on our mortgage so it looks as though its been added on to

the original loan,although we think once when we were "fined" we had topay that upfront. It was onlyl ast year when I shredded lots of mortgage stuff (idiot that Iam) so I dont think we will have any evidence of what charges we have on our account beyond this last year. Shall i send a preliminary letter then to start the ball rolling andsee where I stand? Thanks for the help

Hi SB,

Nationwide are pretty safe to go after.

If you send the SAR from the bank templates library along with 10.00 they are obliged to send you all the information they hold on you. So they may well have statements going beyond the six years. You should beable to tell whether the charges were added to the loan or not.

Best of luck

Zoot