Welshbaba 'v's HSBC

welshbaba
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya Sha and welcome back to a very different playing field :D.

Yes the banks have lost their first appeal and have been told not to bother appealing to the House of Lords but initial indications are they will ignore the Master of the Rolls advise and appeal anyway :rolleyes:.

Now they are allowed to do this but considering the stink in the media caused by the amount of (now public) money they are spending on bonuses to their executives and staff for a job well done :eek: it remains to be seen if the publicly backed banks will dare to carry on employing teams of top flight lawyers at horrendous hourly/daily rates in a battle that looks like it can never be won.

So the game continues :)

pete

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a big piece in the Mail about all that went on, so between you and the paper it makes more sense - so thanks for explaining it :).

Just one thing tho, if they are told no they cant appeal to HOL, mine still stands eventhough its stayed etc.

Sha

The High Court has said that the OFT are allowed to investigate and report on the level of the banks charges. I think most people believe that ultimately we will have a situation similar to the one we have for credit cards i.e. the OFT will publish a report that will say they wont investigate any charge below a certain figure (£12 in the case of credit cards). The banks will all reduce their charges to this figure and offer you the difference between the OFT's figure and what they were charging.

This will leave you with two options, accept what the bank offer to get it over and done with and some cash back from them or to carry on trying to get them to prove how much it costs them to make a charge which will mean the stays will be set aside and you get a hearing date :).

We will have to see if the banks bother to defend or just pay out the value of the claims just before the hearing date as they did before :rolleyes:.

pete

Good evening pete and welshbaba .......:)

I was discussing this very topic with my son tonight -his case is stayed in court ...... and we asgreed that if they try to fob him off with a reduced payment we'll resurrect the stayed claim and fight them for it . :)

He also suggested that , as the 8% interest rate is way above anything else at the moment, that we could maybe apply to the courts to extend the stays (as the banks did! ) to get the benefit of the interest a little longer ....... laffin! :D:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

I never doubted it for a second pete ....... :D

It's good fun to tweak their tails , and I think you're right, they will pay up rather than incur further (mega -expensive) barristers bills .... I don't think the public who are funding them will be all that chuffed with that kind of wasteful expenditure............ :cool:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D