Claiming charges for a closed/defaulted account

krakan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

First of let me say that I have tried searching for this question having been previously asked, but couldn't find it anywhere.. It tooks ages, kept finding other exciting posts.. If this is in an inappropriate topic then please move it!

So, anyway:

I had an egg account since about 2000. few years later I went to Uni, debts started mounting up (largely my fault) and eventually I used the card without knowing how much money was left on it only to find that the card was going through just fine in shops even though thre was no money there. Many charges.

We had a falling out eventually after I refused to pay until they removed the charges, they referred me to a debt collection agency. They got ignored, because they were rude and unpleasant. Several agencies later, one offered a full/final settlement for 60%. I offered 50%, they agreed and off went a cheque.

Obviously the account has been closed for some time. The debt was eventually paid off in part to a debt collection agency, much of the money I paid them was towards charges - I didn't query the nature of the money they were claiming, I just offered them 50%

So, $64,000 is, can I (and will I win if I) claim against Egg for these charges, even though they closed my defaulted account a couple of years ago and I had to settle with a DCA

Opinions welcome please:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Krakan,

I read your question with interest as it got me thinking.

I had a loan which subsequently was passed to debto collectors who added on a ridiculous amount in 'charges'. Trouble is I do not know how much the charges were as I have spent the last 4 years paying it off and will still be paying it off for another year or so.

Did you go ahead and claim against Egg or DCA? I'd love to know how you get on please? I may think about finding out how much I have been charged, although I have a feeling if they put it down to their 'service' charge we cannot relaim it. Do you know if this is correct?

Just found what I had been looking for, thanks for asking that Kraken.

Ill be posting my own thread soon v EGG.

Halifax CCA letter sent 3 May

2 x CL Finance letters sent 3 May

Halifax and CL letters received 6 May

Halifax responded with valid CCA, but need to query default

CL Finance failed to provide CCA by 2 July - letter sent

Hi Krakan,

Have you decided what to do?

I am/was in exactly the same situation as you.

After reading some of the posts on this forum I have sent a DPA to egg asking for all my statements so that I can calculate the illegal charges they have put against me. The thing is that I do not mind getting the money back, but the most important thing getting the default removed.

I have had so much problems because of the default. From getting rejection for credit cards/ loans even a job where they do a credit check before hand!!!

Hondamad

EGG CC Default Removal: Have reported Egg to Trading Standards, Summery Claim - 2nd Hearing Date 09/10/07. Click here to read posts

Monument CC: received statements, now need to send letters. . . !

BoS Current Account: Settled

Citi Cards: Hhmm seems like I have sued the wrong “entity”. Aaaaahhhhh . . .. oh well back to court I go, and they have settled in full!!!

:-D:p:D

This is just advice from me. If you are not sure please seek legal advice. However if what I have said has been helpful, than please add to my reputation by clicking on the scales :D

Hi again all.. Sorry, been neglecting all things bank of late, been off work..

DPA letter to Egg will be going out this week, identical basically to the one I quoted at the start of my krakan vs HSBC thread in the HSBC forum..

I got defaulted by EGG, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. In all honesty, I think I'll just have to take it on the chin, because it did only happen because I stopped paying my credit card bills, and whilst there was a good deal in the way of charges on my balance, there was also a fair amount of spending which was genuinly my doing and which I should have been repaying at 2 or 3% a month.. There were a lot of charges but, ultimately, I broke our agreement by stopping paying the monthly bills. If a CC company can't file a default when someone simply stops paying their CC bills then I don't know when they can!

So, ultimately, it'll be just the charges I'm going after. The default (one of a few) is a killer, especially as I'm hoping to buy a first house within the next year, but then it's my own doing, and I'll just have to deal with it..

I'll update krakan vs Egg as and when appropriate, good luck to everyone else thinking of redressing the balance with this lot!

Hi all,

This is all very interesting - I have been defaulted by Egg for the princely sum of £70 of which £42 is charges and £28 is for a purchase made 3 weeks after I had phoned them to close the account and about a week after I had, in my innocence, thrown all the Egg stuff away. Needless to say, I didn't make this purchase so am not going to pay them for it. I find it sickening that these people can affect your life by defaulting you without even the slightest bit of proof. Does anyone know of anything that can be done in this particular situation?

Thanks.

Similar situation for me too. My Egg account was being handled by an account management company but Egg have stated on my credit file that I have 8 consecutive missed payments. I do not believe that this is the case as the Account Management company were still making small payments even when they were in negotiation with Egg to come to a satisfactory agreement. And even when I managed to pay off the full amount Egg still did not update my credit file, it was only after I sent several secure messages that they have finally upgraded my credit file but it still only says "Partial Settlement" and the account has been "Satisfied".:???:

I have no idea what to do about this. Trying to get Egg to do something for you is like trying to get blood out of a stone. :evil:

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks