B&Q and warrantee

yellowplum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased about a year ago from B&Q a 4 burner gas hob. It came with 4 ‘cast iron’ burners, around a month ago while cleaning it as one day after use one of the cast iron burners decided to disintegrate in my hand, and thus we now can’t use one of the burners whatsoever.

I have not as yet written to B&Q (as it seldom worth going into one of there stores and speaking to someone) though I was seeking advise to find out how long by law are they required to warrantee the goods for fair use, as anyone would be inclined to feel that just over a year is not quite fair use of the good.

Yes; the store are liable to you for up to six years under the Sale of Goods Act for any faults which cannot be attributed to normal wear and tear.

If the cooker cannot be repaired, they would need to replace it with a like-for-like product.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i work for b&q warranty. for a kitchen you are under warranty for 2 years. if it is your hob if will be a manufacturer fault and if you phone us guys we will direct you to the right manufacturer to get it sorted. they will send out a engineer within 48 hours to fix your hob. if it is something that has happened because of the way we have installed it then we(b&Q) will sort it out for you but there will have to be a report from an independant electrician/plumber/chippy to say it is because of bnq. if you call 08453093093 thats the warranty number we will then be able to give you the number you need to get your hob sorted. i would give you my name to ask for me directly but i dont wanna get fired. but thats the whole process you need to go and you should get everything sorted for you within 48 hours you are fully in your right to but do it as soon as you can as you dont wanna get out of manufactorers warranty otherwise it leaves everyone at a dead end!! hope this helps

hey, i work for b&q warranty. for a kitchen you are under warranty for 2 years. if it is your hob if will be a manufacturer fault and if you phone us guys we will direct you to the right manufacturer to get it sorted. they will send out a engineer within 48 hours to fix your hob. if it is something that has happened because of the way we have installed it then we(b&Q) will sort it out for you but there will have to be a report from an independant electrician/plumber/chippy to say it is because of bnq. if you call 08453093093 thats the warranty number we will then be able to give you the number you need to get your hob sorted. i would give you my name to ask for me directly but i dont wanna get fired. but thats the whole process you need to go and you should get everything sorted for you within 48 hours you are fully in your right to but do it as soon as you can as you dont wanna get out of manufactorers warranty otherwise it leaves everyone at a dead end!! hope this helps

Not quite right, I do think these stores need to train their staff on customers' statutory rights.

I don't have time to correct you in detail now but if someone else hasn't by the next time I log on I will do!

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

you dont have to correct me in detail.....i work f0or bnq have done for a while now if i get called with this case the above will happen , unless you .. rosie are trained more than me... who is on warranty,,, no matter how wr5ong you think i am... i dont think the comsumer right are differanrt to what i say.... but... i am employed by bnq and i am telling you straight up what happens i dont work in a store i work in the bnq installation serv1ice centre warranty department and i knowe for a fact what customers get told and i know what they get told and i know for a facwhat i am saying is for the benefiot of who is c laiming as allthough i work for bnq i know they take consumers for a run for it so please dont ever tell me im wrong as i WORK FOR BNQ AND I KNOW THE FULL PROCEDURE I HAVE TOLD YOU ... CALL 084530931-9 AND IF YOU MAKE A POINT OF WHO YOU ARE I WILL FIND YOU AND TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR CLAIM. bnq give certificates to everyone that becomes a cutomer and they are explained in ever ceftif what there rights arte and if they wish to challenge them call the number i explaine d above there are only 2 people that answer that number and i check everything out as i am a senior member i wil;l ind you andget u what you deserve 0-8453093093 is anyone else wants to call me a lier they can call bnq and i garentee i will find there call. xxxxx i m no **** cxcc

I'd say that I was trained more than you in consumer rights but I'm not here to argue :)

What I will say is that the Sale of Goods Act can give consumers rights against the trader for up to six years. Rights will of course weaken over time and it doesn't cover normal wear and tear, but B&Q are liable for what they sell and cannot legally fob people off to the manufacturer for repairs.

Again don't have much time to be online but I will explain in more detail later.

fluffythingys - that may be b&q's position on the matter regarding warranty - unfortunately for b&q laws such as the sale of goods act superceed your warranties and give additional protection to consumers.

And yes I have no doubt that rosie has more knowledge on the matter as she happens to be a legal professional...

• 5 weeks later...

Ah it's amusing to see people arguing over such things...

Seems Mr (or Mrs) 'fluffythingys' should read more closely, I did not purchase a kitchen, and would never for that matter from B&Q.

I purchased a HOB ONLY!

Secondly, the item has been replaced (well the cast iron pot stand) so the matter has been resolved.

However, interestingly it was passed to the local store to deal with, and some subordinate creature attempted to telephone (that was the other issue that I had to telephone them, since they could not dial 087 numbers from the store, however they are quite happy for us to call them on 087 numbers) me from the store and attempted to make me do all the work of obtaining the stand to be refunded by them!

I flatly refused.

Good for you yellowplum!!

I am currently in the process of dealing with this shower myself - they really don't have a clue about consumer rights.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I bought a heater from BNQ Lewes road Brighton store. I took the heater to my home checked it, and it was really bad not enough powerfull for my room. When I went to exchange for a powerfull heater, the staff specially manager (who was in hurry to return home) was not behaving properly and in two minutes time he said "if you want to stay here stay I am not going to return anything".

I wasted my £20 on a rubbish BNQ heater, their customer service is rubbish. I will suggest everyone to look for alternative stores than BNQ. and I will never go to them again.

Regards, Jack

im sorry but in that case hte store has no obligation to replace it.

b and q do exchange/refund if its unopened but are under no obligation to do so.

there is no change of heart law

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I am really Surprised to hear your reply.

My Girlfriend bought some creams for herself from Boots, she was not satisfied with the product, she returned it to boots even after using it. they refuned him full money.

You write on your reciepts that with 45 days you can return your item.. and don't accept the return at all ! Do you write this just to make fool to your customers ?

the term our conditions are on the back of your receipt is a myth

if anything written is other than your stat rights under the SOGA, eg will will only do this and that in the event of faulty goods etc, then they are wrong, they must inform you before the purchase of any exemptions to your Stat Rights before the sale , with the correct signage displayed, that product's sale is subject to the following conditions, etc,

its simple if you was not informed before, then anything regarding an exception told to you after the sale or on the back of the receipt is invalid, you were not informed the of the conditions of them selling the item to you, your option to consider the purchase and accept that condition first was not given.

Sorry mate but if you believe what your saying it's little wonder that B&Q staff keep giving the wrong advice to customers.

The OP's contract is with B&Q not the manufacture & it's B&Q who are required to sort the problem .... period

As for the "2 years" that's wrong also. As has already been stated the OP has upto 6 years to mount a claim if it can be established that the damage did not occur through abuse .... & just how do you 'abuse' a cooker hob:confused:

the term our conditions are on the back of your receipt is a myth

if anything written is other than your stat rights under the SOGA, eg will will only do this and that in the event of faulty goods etc, then they are wrong, they must inform you before the purchase of any exemptions to your Stat Rights before the sale , with the correct signage displayed, that product's sale is subject to the following conditions, etc,

its simple if you was not informed before, then anything regarding an exception told to you after the sale or on the back of the receipt is invalid, you were not informed the of the conditions of them selling the item to you, your option to consider the purchase and accept that condition first was not given.

Sale goods even 'seconds' must serve the purpose for which they are intended .... & any sale signs which claim different are illegal