Mazda RX8 seats - worth making a fuss?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

RX8s do have some problems, but my main complaint is that the RX8 passenger seat is not height adjustable.

In the case of the driver's seat, the base can be raised or lowered accordingly. As the RX8 has fixed headrests with a plastic component, I think this is vital for safety as well as comfort in the car, since at certain heights, your head will hit the plastic component.

The passenger seat lacks this adjustment entirely; anyone below 5' 4" (which is not an unreasonable height for an adult female) will not be in a 'safe' position for the headrest to be effective. I'm not sure about the airbags, but it's also uncomfortable.

The components exist, as LHD cars have height adjustable driver's seats (and again, non adjustable passenger seats). I appreciate that many cars lack adjustment of the seat height for the passenger, but they also don't have hard plastic inserts and non-adjustable headrests.

I think that Mazda should ideally fit height adjustable seats to both sides of the car for both comfort, but more importantly safety, reasons.

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Next - Capital One :D

I think it's quite common for passenger seats to be fixed. I've never had a car where the passenger seat was height-adjustable.

Then you haven't had a recent VW group car like a Skoda. But yes, I've had a few cars in my driving career, and not all of them have had height adjustable passenger seats. However, most of them have had height adjustable headrests, and none of them have had a plastic moulding in the seat designed to catch the back of your head in a rear-end collision.

Bank of Scotland - £4000+ returned. Scottish resident, scottish accounts, but it's Halifax Bank of Scotland now, so took 'em to court in Halifax. One small claims, one defence filed, one refund of all charges + interest! Done and dusted.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, specifically "The base can be raised or lowered accordingly". Not the seat, but the base ;)

Most cars with side airbags have fixed position (height-wise) seatbacks, and adjustable bases and headrests where appropriate. The RX8 seats are bucket seats with a fixed, high-back design, and for the driver, the lower cushion can be raised or lowered over a surprisingly large range.

I have sourced a second-hand LHD seat base assembly. I'm more than capable of dealing with it myself for my own car; what I am wondering is if Mazda should be required to make this a standard fitting for safety reasons (incidentally, the cost of the parts from the dealer is nearly £1,500 - it would be cheaper to fit the 'upgrade' MazdaSpeed recaro-like seats, but they have less adjustment and no side airbag).

just wanted to say wow youre cool cos youve got an rx8!!! im crazy about them and cant wait til i get my high flying career so i can afford one :D

It's a fantastic car, sounds like nothing else, handles like very little else (especially at the price) - perfect for wide, but rural, A-roads. Did a 900 mile trip in it before the weekend, too - 3 up, with luggage, and it was very pleasant for me driving, and tolerable for passengers. Economy is painful but no worse than some of the cars I had previously (118 in 14 years. I like cars).

Don't think owning an RX8 makes me cool, though - would take a lot more than a car to do that ;)

My daughter has a VW Polo. It has airbags in the side of both front seats, and both seats are adjustable. No rotary engine, though!:D

Oh, the blinking swear filter HAS cut in. I didn't post a rude word. It's designed by Dr. Felix W a n k e l.

Pronounced Wan-kleh, but the anglicised version is more... er... common.

VAG seem to differ in their seats - my Beetle had a wide range of adjustment, though I can't remember if the whole seat moved or just the base now. I think the whole seat moved. OTOH, I was more worried about the large amount of water in the footwells ;)

Now this interesting, as I am currently looking to replace my Merc ML270, which does have elec height adjustment on both seats, with a 231bhp RX-8 approx 12 to 18 months old.... Now whilst I have ascertained that my girls 11 and 5 will be fine in the back, the 11 year old quite often sits in the front if we are alone... Must take her down to carcraft and have a sit in one....

Mike

Now this interesting, as I am currently looking to replace my Merc ML270, which does have elec height adjustment on both seats, with a 231bhp RX-8 approx 12 to 18 months old.... Now whilst I have ascertained that my girls 11 and 5 will be fine in the back, the 11 year old quite often sits in the front if we are alone... Must take her down to carcraft and have a sit in one....

Mike

She may well need a booster seat; if looking at a 231 you'll probably be looking at leather, which means electric adjustment on the driver's side and still no adjustment on the passenger side. A quick - non adjustable - fix may be to fit spacers between the seat base and lower cushion (4 bolts, you'd need longer ones).

The 231 is a good car, but I would try and drive one back to back against a 190 unless you're really hung up on Xenon lights and a six-speed gearbox. The more powerful models have exhibited a slight tendency to lose power due to sticking 'ports' - the car gets choked up about 7,000rpm when say, overtaking. Not all suffer it by any means, but earlier cars are supposed to have had various recalls performed, so checking the car's maintenance record thoroughly is worthwhile.

Also, the six speed box is lower geared than the 190's five speed, which has a taller top gear and the 190's engine produces more torque (190, 222Nm @ 5000rpm, 231, 116Nm @ 5500rpm). Basically the 231's 3rd-4th-5th-6th are comparable to 3rd-4th-5th in the 5 speed, which has a much more flexible 4th gear range IMO, with cruising at legal motorway speeds below 3,750rpm where the second injectors come in - making it more economical if you want it to be (I care not and use the whole rev range of the car - it's more like a bike, and insanely smooth, forget everything you've learned about revving cars especially if you have been driving a diesel; there's a beep to tell you when the limiter is going to cut in, and it's there to be used!).

I am quite sure the 230 is the better car in many respects, just don't dismiss the 190 - I think for everyday use it may have some advantages.

Oh, and if looking at an earlier model, check the sill area (the step) where the rear door closes. Early models had a clip design which forced little bits of dirt into the paint, causing corrosion; there is a fix for this which involved cleaning, repainting and fitting 3M film. Look for the film as a sign of a sensible owner. Joining the RX8 owner's club is worthwhile too :D

http://rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10258&highlight=power+graphs+geabox+torque+ratios

Thanks very much Richard... Still want the 231 though specifically for the Xenon's as having had them on my last 3 cars, I'd prob be blind at night without them lol... Will drag child off for a fitting next week :D

Mike

Thanks very much Richard... Still want the 231 though specifically for the Xenon's as having had them on my last 3 cars, I'd prob be blind at night without them lol... Will drag child off for a fitting next week :D

Mike

Good luck - whichever model you get, I'm sure you'll love it - I know that I rate the RX8 very highly, and I've had a lot of cars ;)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks