Problems opening basic bank account

Bilgeman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been trying to open a basic bank account so I can have my wages paid in and use it for paying bills etc. Trouble is, they want to see existing bank statements for proof of address but as soon as they notice the returned items on it they immediately get nervous and tell me it has to be sent for approval (or to be declined) and will take up to a fortnight. Has anyone else got any experience of this and can you advise which banks are the best to approach (I have tried HSBC so far and can't go to Barclays or Natwest as they're the ones I'm claiming from).

Keep on chipping away....

I have a basix account with electron from the CO OP. Did that all over the phone and have had good service so far. I also have a basic account with the Abbey. Its a cash card and is not bad. I went in there with my driving licence and passport and that was fine.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Have you tried the Abbey Basic Account.

From what I recall they did not ask me for statements just 2 forms of proof of address. You simply cannot go overdrawn whats in the account is all you have access to fullstop.

I have found the Abbey quite good when compared with basic accounts offered by the other banks, in that you get full internet access to the account for paying bills ect.

Thanks, both. Appointment booked with Abbey for tomorrow

Good Luck.

Don't forget to take your two forms of ID along with you.

Bank Statements not required but I would take a utility bill and something from say the Inland Revenue.

we open a basic account with Natwest online no proof reqiured only took a couple of days to set up, debit cards received about a week later, been with them now for about 6/7 weeks and have never been asked for any or even been ask for details of any other banks

natwest very easy to get an account

Dave

Data Protection Act sent 10/03/06.....1st request 25/03/06.....LBA letter 10/04/06

Claim No : 6RG02794

Reading County Court £1,616.26 + interest

Served on : 27 April 2006

Acknowledged : 3rd May 2006

defence submitted by 24th May 2006

Allocation Questionnaire submitted 5th June

Court Hearing : 2nd October 2006

SETTLED OUT OF COURT 12/09/06

They have no right to actually demand to see your bank statements as proof of address and will have a list of FSA approved identity confirmation documents which are acceptable to the bank, such as recent utility bill, council tax, mortgage statement, etc etc.

They will base their offering to you largely on the external credit score (Experian or Equifax). Even if this credit score is falling through the floor, past the topsoil, through the earth, crust, mantle, and touching the core.. it is very unlikely that if you have proof of identity, and address, they will fail to offer you a Basic Account. Cos there is bugger all you can do with it. Except use a cashcard in their own ATMs. Pay in money. And withdraw over the counter.

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Got one! Abbey. No problems at all, although they did pressure me to have a normal current account. No thanks

Well done Bilgeman, I also have an Abbey Basic Account.

It suits my requirements full internet Access for setting up and making payments, Cash Card which incidently I found out you can also use at the Post Office to draw out cash. Limit is either 250 or 300 per day.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks