Mobile phone and text message scam. EVERYBODY WITH A MOBILE PHONE PLEASE READ THIS!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just phoned O2 to get the cost of phoning an 0700 number from my contract mobile.......75p per minute!

Really? Tariff sheets say it's 50p/min. Special Numbers - Tariffs - Mobiles & Tariffs - O2

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

Interesting, although O2 have recently increased prices to some numbers so it's possible that the website hasn't been updated yet.

However the important point I'm trying to get across is that phoning 0700 numbers will invariably cost you considerably more than ringing most other numbers - just don't phone them!

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Totally agree with you. 0700 numbers are spawn of the devil. Seems to be big business though, with every man and his dog offering a service.

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

I'm afraid that this will decend into a slanging match - there is absolutely nothing 'misleading' about the information I provided and what you go on to describe was not what I was commenting on. I hold historical copies of BT's Price List and can assure you no code used or accessed by them was EVER charged at £5/minute. These special numbers used codes in the 08xxx range, and there were also special rate numbers that were available on numbers (not codes) that could only be dialled in soecific 'Director' areas operated by Post Office Telephones/BT. Again, no charge of £5/min applied to these. If you wish to continue in this assertion, provide examples.

As to your reference to text messages, this was not mentioned in my original posting and whilst you mention charges of up to £3 per message and possibly more - I fully agree, and this is the telecomms equivalent of a DDM and totally removes any control the subscriber has over their bill. However, there is little point in berating me for this when I wasn't referring specifically to them.

Now moving onto Personal Numbers - emphasise all you like, but who suggested these rates were 'standard'? Not me. They are charged at whatever the originating network wants to charge for them, they are by definition NOT 'Premium', they were launched PRIOR to mobile numbers joining the new '07' code originally charged at BT's 'm' rate, however as these codes fragmented and network alliances were formed, these charges shifted, the important thing to remember is that the call recipient does not benefit from any call revenue, the costs of delivering the call to its destination only are met by the caller. So, instead of your assertion that Personal Numbers were made to look like mobile, it was the other way around, Personal Numbering commenced over 18 months before the mobile networks added a '7' to join them.

For some reason you think that the description of an 070 'personal' number describes some type of charge. Not so - a personal number is a recognised Oftel/Ofcom description for the way this number range is used. Sorry if you don't like it, but you appear to be the only person making an issue of it.

You then move onto saying companies that provide 0700 numbers are 'cagey' about giving out charges - too right, how can they? The price is set by the originating network - that is, the network the caller calls from. A number is graded as to the cost of delivering it to the destination network, it will be different for every network used - can you not understand this?

Messages on this site complained of Premium Rated numbes - that is, calls that commence 09xx and are licenced and controlled by ICSTIS. This is NOT 'an ofshoot' of OFCOM - whatever that is supposed to mean. They are the Regulator for Premium Rated calls - a complaint to Ofcom will not be acted upon, and just referred on.

As to OFCOM 'monitoring 0700 numbers' what tosh! No revenue share is possible for these codes (having been outlawed years ago) and as it is the originating network that decides the fee, asking OFCOM isn't going to give you an answer.

It is said a little information is a dangerous thing. You've certainly proved it by making rash assertions and suppositions which have no basis in fact. Your sentiments re customers losing control of their bills due to devious practices I fully support, but don't accuse me of not knowing an industry I've spent almost 30 years working in.

Finally, having now checked the latest BT Price List for calls to numbers commencing 0700, these vary as BT lists no less than forty (Yes, 40!) different call charges within this number range alone - due to the different charges requested by the networks completing the call, these rates vary depending on the digits dialled after 0700, but can be anything from BT's k, j, pn3 to 'National' rate. None of them are classed as premium.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks