Cos v Barclays

bram stoker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am helping out my brother who rarely logs into here and he's given me permission to post his story and use this thread for any assistance he may require.

A few weeks ago he requested statements from Barclays for two bank accounts covering the last six years. He received the printouts, highlighted the charges and sent them to me. The total charges covering the two accounts amounted to £1,325.00.

I drafted his preliminary letter requesting a refund of charges which he reviewed and posted a couple of days ago along with a schedule I'd prepared highlighting the dates and amounts of those charges.

I'll keep you all updated here.

[

Hang on, are you saying he got all his statements 6 yrs back with no trouble? How did he manage that?

He just asked for them...they are like that in Cornwall...probably still 'stored' in lever-arch files...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

He called the Barclays telephone banking service. The first time a woman said he would be charged 50p per statement. He knew this wasn't right so hung up and checked the facts. He discovered the phrase "Data Protection Act" and related it to the maximum of £10.

He called back and made the same request but armed with info, only this time, the woman (a different one) told him it would cost £5 per account - 2 accounts £10. So he didn't need to argue. They were immediately dispatched in 2 packages.

He figures you just keep calling until you get someone who quotes you a figure you like.

Funniest thing is he keeps calling it the "Official Secrets Act" instead of DPA!:rolleyes:

[

Guest Lueeze

WOW! He was really really lucky!

it is becoming increasingly obvious that Barclay COULD supply the statements before 2004 if the like, but generally they just want ot be awkward.

If we have cases where people have recieved 6 years with no hassle, then we have something to fight them with now.

Good Luck!

Lou xx

Guest Lueeze

Yeah, so they CAN provide this stuff...GITS! Trying to dodge us with the excuse that its on Microfiche just isnt going to wash it anymore!

Is there a difference between Barclays and Barclaycard ?

Barclays are providing the information very easily

barclaycard are not

Perhaps they have completly different systems !

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

I requested statements from Barclays going back to the beginning of 2001 and sent a cheque for £10. I received the copies yesterday and my cheque was returned witha letter saying it was a free service. Suspiciously helpful...

Does anyone know if can I claim for 'paid referrals'? What does that mean?

Thanks

LynnD

Hi Lynn and Roger,

If you make sure you stick to your own threads in the relevant area (eg [username] claim against [bank]), and use this as a sort of diary which you can update as things progress. It will also enable you to check responses to your questions, and people will be able to find your thread a lot easier.

Good luck.

You are here, you want your money back, you will get help and support in this, but it is YOUR call, and you must be prepared to put in the effort.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Today Cos received a letter from Barclays Customer Relations in Leicester.

It started with an apology (always laughable) that he was unhappy with the level of service (level of charges would be more appropriate) and stated that they would look into it and he would receive a reply by no later than 26 May. Then they went on to give phone numbers to call if he needed to discuss further in the meantime and also enclosed leaflets regarding complaints procedure.

Standard stuff I believe. I told him to stick to the deadline he gave them. I'll include a response to this letter he received in his LBA which should go next week, and I'll send it to the same address today's letter has come from.

I'll be reading Barclays threads to see similar situations, but any advice or links to threads I should be looking at would be welcome.:)

[

just to note, last year when i was looking for a mortgage, i was required to get previous statements from my barclays accounts, because i am a contractor and get paid differently throughout the year i wanted to prove my earnings over a period of two years for the lender.

when i contacted barclays, they had no problem supplying me with any length of statements i so wished. they also arrived very promptly too.

K

when i contacted barclays, they had no problem supplying me with any length of statements i so wished. they also arrived very promptly too.
Even outside the six year limit?

not sure, however, i will be contacting them today to ask for 6 years, so will let people know on a new thread, or me versus barclays i guess.
Great, thanks and yes. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

A phone call from my brother today saying that he has heard nothing from Barclays. I'm off to Cornwall tonight to help him raise his claim. We'll be completing the N1 form and he'll be filing it on Tuesday.

He'll be taking my daughter with him - a bit of an experience for her. She's been following all this bank saga, trying not to show interest, but I know she's interested really.:D

Any comments for the form before we start that isn't in the template?

[

I would like to know what the normal Barclays defence is. This might give some extra information which would help with framing the claim form

Oh, dear, I spoke too soon.

In the post today, Cos has a letter from Barclays offering £590. They really do leave it to the last minute, don't they.

Well, I shall take my own advice (or rather Cos will). Accept the £590 as a part refund, but inform them they will be receiving a court claim for the balance of what is due. Hopefully they'll refund the lot before court to avoid costs and interest.

One thing - if the part refund is not received by Tuesday morning I feel he should raise the claim for the whole amount and amend if necessary, just in case they decide not to pay.

I'll see this letter tonight, so will post any further details then. My laptop and datastick will be coming with me.

To be continued.............

[

Write back and tell them thanks very much but you want 100% back and as a gesture of goodwill on your part you will not submit the court papers if they respond within 7 days thus saving them the 8% plus court costs

Reading this on another Barclays thread, I think that's a good move. Lots to think about this weekend.

[

Decision made.

Cos has decided to accept the offer, full and final of £590.

He can't face the court procedures, barely understands what has gone into the prelim and LBA letters already. Taking a day off work to go to submit court documents will cost him enough, and he really does need the money now. He also can't risk losing his good liason he has with his bank and run the risk of it closing.

So, unfortunately, we won't be getting the banks into the courts with this case.

But good on him, he put up as much of a fight as he was able. I'm proud of my little brother.:D

And they all lived happily ever after.

[

Well, it's still a 'result' !!

£590 is far better than nothing - in fact, if my maths are any good, it's £590 better!!

We all have different needs of course, so there's definately nothing wrong with this ending.

Well done to both of you.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

[

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks