'best' company to take on first

thecornflake
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, so I am really scraping around for the costs I'm going to need for this. Even though I'm certain of getting my money back there is always the chance of somehting changing before my own case(s) come up, or somehting else going wrong.

So my plan is to go for the most likely claim first and then if successful use the money to fund all the rest. I am owed between 4 and 5 grand each from -

Natwest

Natwest Mortages

Mint

Egg

MBNA

I can't find a lot of cases going on with any of these, except Natwest where the only successful claims have mainly been smaller amounts.

Any suggestions?

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

To be honest, I would look at your charges and when they have occured.

Remember you can only claim back 6 years, generally. So choose your bank with the oldest charges on first and work it that way....

Hope this helps... and makes sense.

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

They all go back to at least 2002. Natwest go back to 1996 and in the last 6 months their charges add up to £1200 as do most of the others.

Basically, as I can only go back 6 years, and if I want to stay in small claims I'm limited to 5k anyway, it doesn't make much odds. The main thing is that the first one I claim goes well.

I know they all should do but my situation means I'm pushing it to get the money to do the claims in the first place so I'm going to be fretting until I start getting something back.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Well now, Halifax were taken for an amount of about 12k I think - way above the small claim limit - and they of course STILL paid up.

Also, I think that we've all had lots of letters by now claiming that the T&C's are legal and the charges are a fair reflection of costs etc...

This, I believe is a deliberate deception, and therefore as you were deceived from knowing the truth about their debt to you, then they have excluded themselves from the statute of limitations.

It's up to you, but if I had 'my time' again, then I would definitly pursue that angle.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Hmmm

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that angle before. Using the denial to remove the limitiation. However, the banks are only legally obliged to keep information for 6 years, and I doubt they'd admit it if they did have info going back further.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Also, I think that we've all had lots of letters by now claiming that the T&C's are legal and the charges are a fair reflection of costs etc...

This, I believe is a deliberate deception, and therefore as you were deceived from knowing the truth about their debt to you, then they have excluded themselves from the statute of limitations.

It's up to you, but if I had 'my time' again, then I would definitly pursue that angle.

Just read this and it could be that NW are paying up without much argument is to keep withion the Statute of Limitations.

It seems strange that just refund the money with no prior or post refund correspondence

Brian

Claim against Nationwide

6 years charges £1973

prelim letter 10 April

Charges refunded 15 April

You may find Bookworm's case interesting (see Natwest forum). Sent a cheque for full settlement asking to sign a NDA. On refusal, they basically said no, this is settlement in full but we don't admit liability. If they had any conviction that they were correct they wouldn't have done this. It's like they really don't want to go to court in this case, but then others they file what looks like a well thought out defence.

I'm gonna grow it back you know! 3 years now with nothing on my chin to stroke! (Please forgive my crap humour - I have drunk far too much coffee.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Well now, Halifax were taken for an amount of about 12k I think - way above the small claim limit - and they of course STILL paid up.

Dave, surely this is a profound point you've made here or am I missing something? If they are saying their Terms & Conditions are fair - are you saying they are deceiving everyone as they know they have charged us more than is fair? thus excluding themselves from the Statute Of Limitation? If so, this could be the very foundation to everyones claim - put me right if I am out of sync.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks