Dvla seized the vehicles due to no road tax from private land

Maxi man
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had cars parked on a hotel car park which was private land I am a motor trader and own the hotel and associated car park the hotel is not operational closed many years ago I bought site 2 years ago. 

The Dvla seized the vehicles due to no road tax,  I thought under Vera they could not do this they are citing the amendments under the finance act schedule 45

can any one help. 

It is private land this can't be right.?

• dx100uk changed the title to Dvla seized the vehicles due to no road tax from private land

if the vehicle is not sorn'd sadly it appears yes they can.

but read this thread..

it mentions the finance act , but that is not applicable unless the vehicle is unlicensed.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate the enactments relating to vehicle excise duty and the registration of vehicles.

but i would suspect all the vehicles stored there are dvla registered?

(2)For the purposes of subsection (1) a vehicle is unlicensed if no vehicle licence or trade licence is in force for or in respect of the vehicle.....

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They are relying on finance act 2008 schedule 45 if you are a motor trader you are exempt and also you do not need to sorn vehicle if you are trader.

The vehicles were bought from auction and the trade slip was sent to dvla

Yes that's what I eluding too 

So naughty DVLA screwed up either on ignoring trade slips ( too many to all be wrong) or designation or ownership of the land, the latter I suspect .

Have the DVLA been told the trader is the land owner with proof?

Dx

• Thanks 1

and they

1 hour ago, Maxi man said:

They are relying on finance act 2008 schedule 45 if you are a motor trader you are exempt and also you do not need to sorn vehicle if you are trader.

The vehicles were bought from auction and the trade slip was sent to dvla

Only if you are a motor trader and the vehicles are kept at business premises  - s.29, 2(C), Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994. 

There's quite a lot in schedule 45. Have they been more specific about which bits they think justify the seizure? Is their justification based on them claiming the car park isn't a motor traders business premises? Perhaps they think the hotel is still operating so it's hotel business premises not motor trade?

How many cars did they seize?

They said Dvla were going along saw these cars the day before checked them they all had no road tax and then they sent 7 trucks out at 3am the next day. 

All cars were brought from bca car auctions trade slips were sent back and the land was owned by the car sales company the hotel was not operating. 

Where does this take us? 

11 hours ago, Maxi man said:

They said Dvla were going along saw these cars the day before....

Who is "they"?  Have "they" left any documentation with you? If so please can you post it here as a single pdf with your name/address and all identifying information (eg reference numbers, bar codes) covered up

How to Upload Documents / Images as PDF on CAG - Guides and advice on using the forum - Consumer Action Group

Where are the cars now?

You say you bought the old hotel site two years ago so you will have proof that you own it. Have you sent that to DVLA? 

My question before wasn't whether the hotel is actually still opeating, you've told us it isn't, but might DVLA thought it was? So the carpark enclosed with fencing and signposted as your premises? Or could it look to a DVLA drive by like it was still an operating hotel?

The hotel and associated car park was brought by a company, that company was brought by our motor trade company,  there was scaffolding up at the hotel.

We had no signs with business name, there was a sign saying private car park.

They seized 7 cars and clamped 21 cars , we had to pay 100 pound for each car and we had to tax them.

They did not give us any paperwork.

In the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (as amended), Section 29, Subsection 2C, an exception is made to the offence of using or keeping a vehicle which is unlicensed, "if the vehicle is kept by a motor trader or vehicle tester at business premises".

The enforcement agency cited the Finance Act 2008 as giving them the power to immobilise on private land.

Enforcement is lawful only where an authorised person has “reason to believe that an offence” under VERA S.29(1) “is being committed” (Reg. 5(1) of the Immobilisation Regulations)

Whether the threshold for belief was reached may be another question, however, I would like to know suitably qualified users' opinions and/or experience with the phrase "at business premises" and how this may or may not apply in the circumstances described.

In your interpretation, was the vehicle "at business premises"?

Are you aware of anything that interprets or modifies the definition of "business premises" or the word "at" as used in VERA S.29(2C)?